• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I am assuming you are reading the Summa in its original latin version. If you don't have it in that original version, I'll be glad to loan you mine, which I haven't opened since my Seminary days (They were my dad's originally, but I inherited them).

PS: I am not kidding.
A truly eclectic assembly of folks we get in these parts ....  ;D

Don't get me wrong, Milnews, I was no angel (still ain't).

The seminary I am talking about here is not the "Grand Seminary" where you study to be a priest, but a pre-grand seminary college that provided the equivalent of a Quebec college degree (pre-university) at a private college for a fraction of the price, if they believed you could possibly chose to attend the grand seminary later. I got  good and cheap education  :nod:.

However, you still had to be subjected to six periods of Thomist philosophy, 3 periods of latin and 3 periods of theology each week. Now that I think about it, its amazing I found the time to study and excel at maths and science !!!!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I am assuming you are reading the Summa in its original latin version. If you don't have it in that original version, I'll be glad to loan you mine, which I haven't opened since my Seminary days (They were my dad's originally, but I inherited them).

PS: I am not kidding.
I wish I could read it in Latin.  I'm teaching myself in Latin, but I am at the state where I can say "Sum agricola"  :p  (Non est veritas.  Non sum agricola.) 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Don't get me wrong, Milnews, I was no angel (still ain't).

None of us are angels; they are spiritual beings.  But we strive to be saints ;)

(And thank you for the offer of the Summa, however)

Went in to the local Chapters this afternoon while home on vacation, making my usual search for Canadian books to take back.

Picked up Jody Mitic's new book "Unflinching - The Making of a Canadian Sniper" at Chapters this afternoon. Looking forward to reading it.

Uncle John's Bathroom Reader - Fully Loaded 25th Anniversary!

My last book was "Why The Leaf's Suck" - Has a pic of that guy with the paper bag on his head. Cost printed in the corner - $19.67. Get it? Yea...

It was actually a pretty good read. Google "Blue & White disease"...

cupper said:
Went in to the local Chapters this afternoon while home on vacation, making my usual search for Canadian books to take back.

Picked up Jody Mitic's new book "Unflinching - The Making of a Canadian Sniper" at Chapters this afternoon. Looking forward to reading it.

Finished it last night. Just the portion of his story about his struggles after returning to Canada undergoing recovery & rehab in a system that was unprepared for members coming home with serious / traumatic injuries, the fight with addiction to pain killers, and finding purpose in life after the incident are well worth the read.

I was particularly impressed with the lesson learned as to how a moment's misguided lapse in judgement can potentially have devastating consequences in your future life.

cupper said:
Finished it last night. Just the portion of his story about his struggles after returning to Canada undergoing recovery & rehab in a system that was unprepared for members coming home with serious / traumatic injuries, the fight with addiction to pain killers, and finding purpose in life after the incident are well worth the read.

I was particularly impressed with the lesson learned as to how a moment's misguided lapse in judgement can potentially have devastating consequences in your future life.

My copy arrived this week. Can't wait to read it!

cupper said:

My copy came in the mail yesterday nnd I finished it shortly after supper. I echo Cupper's comments and considering the uproar in the mid-ninties about care of casualties, I couldn't believe how poorly prepared we were to treat people with competent compassion.

About 1/2 way through "Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea," a graphic novel based on a Canadian-born animator spending several months in Pyongyang working.  Good art, capturing a mood of an isolated, odd kingdom.
51ul-sHvWGL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Martian.  If the Matt Damon movie is haft as good as the book it's going to be great!

caocao said:
The Martian.  If the Matt Damon movie is haft as good as the book it's going to be great!

I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie.  Loved the book and I think Matt Damon can pull off the character.

I'm reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  The site io9 describes as "it’s as though Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy had one hyperactive and excited baby", and if you reading this:

a) know what those two movies/shows are, and
b) like them

then definitely read this book.

http://io9.com/the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet-is-this-year-s-mos-1730270921

caocao said:

Have not read the book, but I want to see the movie and I'm sure, read the book too.  Looks fantastic.

Dimsum said:
I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie.  Loved the book and I think Matt Damon can pull off the character.

I'm reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  The site io9 describes as "it’s as though Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy had one hyperactive and excited baby", and if you reading this:

b) like them

http://io9.com/the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet-is-this-year-s-mos-1730270921

Firefly is one of my favourite TV shows so I will have to check out this book.

Dimsum said:

b) like them

I am a huge fan of both so i will most definately look it up!

Dimsum said:

b) like them

Finished it in 2 days, and only because it's an e-book on my Mac and I get distracted by FB.  It is a very easy, enjoyable read and is definitely very similar to Firefly.  However, instead of a plot-driven story, it's a personality-driven story and each crew member and race have a chapter somewhat devoted to them - somewhat like the plot of the episode "Out of Gas" where Mal remembers how he met his crew.

I wouldn't say GOTG was a big inspiration, but I definitely noticed elements of the Mass Effect series. 

Valhrafn said:
Sharpe's Rifles (book 6 of 21) by Bernard Cornwell

This is an incredible book series. The BBC (I believe) also made some into a miniseries/TV series with Sean Bean, which were also fantastic. Not the usual Hollwood-ized, gory war movie, but well told military films.

Worth a watch.

Back