• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I just binge watched the series. That's what spurred me to look to the novel. I understand that while it was not a commercial success, it was well received by the genre and garnered a Hugo award in 1963.

Dimsum said:
The TV series is very good; not entirely faithful to the book though.
Never judge a book by its movie.  :nod:

...or in this case, its TV series.

I am doing my annual read of "Lord of the Rings". It is a holiday tradition that I have done since I was about 12 when on the the first day of Christmas break my dad brought home a copy of Fellowship of the Rings from a used book store and I loved the book.  I will read the trilogy and the Hobbit and may or may not read the Silmarillion, not as big a fan of that book.

Just finishing up Red Green's Beginner's Guide To Women.

From the back cover:
...this is the essential guide to every aspect of finding a mate and then learning to deal with her growing disappointment in you.

Profound reading indeed.

b8ae3626a51cd0f137190480e76deaf5.jpg

1491 (2nd Ed): New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus by Charles C Mann

http://www.amazon.ca/1491-Second-Edition-Revelations-Americas/dp/1400032059

An excellent overview of the pre-Columbian history of the Americas. There are two major lessons here: First; whatever you learned in school about the state of pre-existing aboriginal society in the Americas was probably wrong (or at the least very, very inadequate) and second; nothing is certain. New discoveries are constantly changing and overturning old perceptions and theories. This book should be a must read in all of our schools.

Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell

http://www.amazon.ca/Lafayette-Somewhat-United-States-Vowell/dp/1594631743

Sarah Vowell is a bit of an acquired taste and I'm one of those who is quite fond of her writing style. This book is a look at the history of the American revolution based on a study of the Marquis de Lafayette who as a very young nobleman left pre-revolutionary France to join up with Washington in the early days of the revolt.

:subbies:

Forgotten: The Story of D-Days Black Heroes, At Home and at War. Just started this but its heavily slanted towards the American POV.

I just finished my copy of Fifteen Days by Christie Blatchford (I had to take a break for BMQ) and that was a very good read. I don't even know how to explain how that book made me feel, reading what everyone has gone through in Afghanistan, but man that book tore me up.

I couldn't read it all at once, had to take some breaks, but it was the most rewarding book I think I have ever read.

Just got 'Crossing Over' by Michael Connelly for Christmas.  It's a Harry Bosch novel.  Connelly never misses releasing a new book at Christmastime.

Bosch has retired from the LAPD and has 'crossed over' to work the criminal defence side of the aisle with his half-brother, defence lawyer Mickey Haller.  Mickey Haller was the character played by Matthew McConaughey in the film 'The Lincoln Lawyer.'

Looking forward to a good read.

Cheers,
Dan.

Dan M said:
Just got 'The Crossing Over' by Michael Connelly for Christmas.  It's a Harry Bosch novel.  Connelly never misses releasing a new book at Christmastime.

Bosch has retired from the LAPD and has 'crossed over' to work the criminal defence side of the aisle with his half-brother, defence lawyer Mickey Haller.  Mickey Haller was the character played by Matthew McConaughey in the film 'The Lincoln Lawyer.'

Looking forward to a good read.

Cheers,
Dan.

FTFY  :salute:

I'm half way through it myself

:subbies:

FJAG said:
FTFY: I'm half way through it myself

Wolf,

Thanks.  My memory goes from time to time, even when the book is sitting right in front of me!

Cheers,
Dan.

Working my way through " Virtues of War" by Stephen Pressfield. Great historical fiction following the campaigns of Alexander starting in Macedon and ending in India. Pressfield does a great job conveying the motivations of Alexander and the hardships he and his men suffered throughout the conquest.

I wish they had of made his Gates of Fire into a movie instead of that POS, 300.  I need to re-read that one too.

jollyjacktar said:
Re-reading With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge.

That's one I keep handy to leaf through occasionally, just for the 'holy cr#p' factor.

The HBO series 'The Pacific' doesn't really do it justice, but at least it seems to portray a few of the incidents in his book relatively accurately IMHO.

Norseman said:
Working my way through " Virtues of War" by Stephen Pressfield. Great historical fiction following the campaigns of Alexander starting in Macedon and ending in India. Pressfield does a great job conveying the motivations of Alexander and the hardships he and his men suffered throughout the conquest.
Loved the audio book version of his novel "The Afghan Campaign" by Pressfield - great job of showing things through one dude going through.

Rereading "The Good Soldier Svejk" - the original Catch-22, written well before Catch-22, based on a Czech bumbling his way through WW1.

I just finished the first chapter of Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth". So far what I got from it is his amazing ability to stay focused on his goal for such a long time.

milnews.ca said:
Loved the audio book version of his novel "The Afghan Campaign" by Pressfield - great job of showing things through one dude going through.

Agreed, " The Afghan Campaign" was the first book I read by Pressfield. Great interpretation of what the conquest of Afghanistan was like through the soldiers eyes. It is also a good look into the struggles of the individual soldier engaging in counter-insurgency warfare, something completely new to them at the time.

Last few books I've read

My Men Are My Heroes, The Brad Kasal Story - Nathaniel R. Helms
Stryker, The Siege of Sadr City - Konrad Ludwig
The Warrior Ethos - Steven Pressfield
With The Old Breed - E.B. Sledge
China Marine - E.B. Sledge
Red Blood, Black Sand, Fighting Alongside John Basilone from Boot Camp to Iwo Jima - Chuck Tatum
Violence of Action: The Untold Stories of the 75th Ranger Regiment in the War on Terror - Charles Faint and Leo Jenkins

Currently reading
13 Hours, The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi - Mitchell Zuckoff with the Annex Security Team

Back