• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Not really sure if it belongs here, but just finished watching the 'Reacher' adaptation (of the Killing Fields novel).

Not deep or anything, but really well done, and the casting of Alan Ritchson is probably the closest Hollywood to get to the book character, (too pretty but he's got the size and physicality down pat). The other casting was great, and the actress they picked for Neaghley was also particularly good and true to the books.

Those series are one of my guilty pleasures for shutting down the mind and really enjoyed the 8-episode arc here, and looking forward to more.

My library copy of Altered Carbon got here and I'm half way through. Quite good - thanks for the recommendation.

I'm missing Poe. Does the hotel ever get a personality? - Don't tell me.

:D

Not really sure if it belongs here, but just finished watching the 'Reacher' adaptation (of the Killing Fields novel).

Not deep or anything, but really well done, and the casting of Alan Ritchson is probably the closest Hollywood to get to the book character, (too pretty but he's got the size and physicality down pat). The other casting was great, and the actress they picked for Neaghley was also particularly good and true to the books.

Those series are one of my guilty pleasures for shutting down the mind and really enjoyed the 8-episode arc here, and looking forward to more.
After the shitstain that was the two movies, I held out little hope. I was delighted by the series. Not going to win any high falutin awards, but very well done.

Just got a new book "Militia Myths: Ideas of the Canadian Citizen Soldier, 1896-1921" by James Wood

Seems Canadian apathy to defence matters is nothing new to Canadians

Apathy to defence preparation was deeply ingrained at this time ... (i.e. just pre Boer War)

🍻

Just started reading "Fire and Steel: The End of World War Two in the West" by Peter Caddick-Adams https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55332240-fire-and-steel. This book is about the last 100 days of the western front in the Second World War, from Jan 1945 to 8 May 1945. I liked the author's two other books on the Second World War so I am looking forward to reading this one.

Still slogging my way through Frank McLynn's biography of Captain James Cook - "Master of the Seas"

When I hear of sailors bitching about slow wifi................

I found a copy of "Tug of War" in a used book store. Author is W.D. Whitaker, DSO.
It's all about the Canadian victory at Antwerp.
I'm only about 25% through, but so far, the author is quite critical of Eisenhower, Montgomery, and especially Crerar.
It certainly seems to be very well researched, and I'm enjoying it, so far anyway!

"Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War" by Robert Coram

A lot of influence on the entire US mititary for an O5. Not to mention inventing the OODA loop and the F15, F16, F18 and A10 programs.

“Appeasement: Chamberlain, Churchill and the Road to War” by Tim Bouverie

It’s a fairly long book that documents not only what many of the politicians said and did (or did not do) but also the attitudes of the general public at the time. Almost every page reminds me of what has been happening in Europe as a result of Putin’s demand for breathing room for Mother Russia.

I've now finished Wood's "Militia Myths: Ideas of the Canadian Citizen Soldier, 1896-1921". I quite liked it and at the end was wishing for more to carry on into and through WW2. It was quite a good work in describing the various attitudes of the public, the politicians, and the militiamen themselves as to Canada's role in the world and what its defence policies and priorities were and more importantly why those attitudes existed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a definitive book on the subject of the militia during the interwar years?

I'll go one further; does anyone have access to a copy of the Otter Commission of 1919 and the Kennedy Board Report of 1954

🍻

Last edited:
I've now finished Wood's "Militia Myths: Ideas of the Canadian Citizen Soldier, 1896-1921". I quite liked it and at the end was wishing for more to carry on into and through WW2. It was quite a good work in describing the various attitudes of the public, the politicians, and the militiamen themselves as to Canada's role in the world and what its defence policies and priorities were and more importantly why those attitudes existed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a definitive book on the subject of the militia during the interwar years?

🍻
I have a copy of Canadian Brass, but that only covers about the same period as your book, above. I am unaware of any book that covers the interwar period of the Canadian Army, definitively. I think it would be a fascinating read.

I have a copy of Canadian Brass, but that only covers about the same period as your book, above. I am unaware of any book that covers the interwar period of the Canadian Army, definitively. I think it would be a fascinating read.
Yeah. Strangely enough, Relentless Struggle barely touches anything pre 1990. A good chapter on the background as to how the Army Reserve got to be what it was at that time would have been useful.

Just came across one in the Cloud Library that might do: Larry Rose's "Mobilize!: Why Canada was Unprepared for the Second World War". I'll get into just as soon as I finish George Gordon Meade's "Gettysburg" which should be in about a half an hour. - It's an extremely brief account.

🍻

Last edited:
Yeah. Strangely enough, Relentless Struggle barely touches anything pre 1990. A good chapter on the background as to how the Army Reserve got to be what it was at that time would have been useful.

🍻
I would have to reread Price of Command to see if it covers at least some of the 1930s- I can’t remember anymore.

Given the author and sources of Relentless Struggle, I'm giving it a solid pass as propaganda, not history.

Given the author and sources of Relentless Struggle, I'm giving it a solid pass as propaganda, not history.
I actually like it for the depth of research and his interviews. I do take it with a barrel of salt considering its genesis.

I've been ambivalent for quite a while as to who is the Army reserve's biggest enemy: Reserves 2000 or the CAF leadership. I tend to think its a toss up and that between them they've managed to successfully stymie any hope for meaningful reform.

🍻

The Army Reserves' biggest problem is the profound institutional ignorance of its leadership (LCol+).

The Army Reserves' biggest problem is the profound institutional ignorance of its leadership (LCol+).
We're skating somewhat away from the thread's theme but I tend to agree although in respect of which I point out that the ARes leadership above brigade is the RegF by way of the divisions and the Army HQ. I've always found it interesting that the senior-most Army Reserve officer is a director general rather than a commander and that frequently it's someone who has served a considerable time as a regular or on Class B or C which IMHO frequently gets them disconnected with the issues facing Class A reservists.

There is, again IMHO, a disconnect as to developing a proper vision at the high leadership level for Class A service and executing that vision at the middle management (v leadership) level. Unfortunately, without a viable vision that Class As can buy into, it becomes both frustrating, as well as impossible, to develop a proper middle and lower level management program.

Class Bs, on the other hand, are muddling along fairly reasonably if you consider their use to be a proper use of the ResF in the first place. I don't. I consider them a long-term ersatz RegF which impede the development of a proper Class A ResF. Other opinions, especially in Ottawa, do not see it my way which, I presume, is why there is no viable vision for the Class A side of the ResF.

Again, IMHO, as long as the Class A ResF generates enough Class Bs, and occasional Class C, to feed the RegF's peacetime administrative machine, the CA and CAF leadership will be content with what the ResF Class A force is. No one is looking beyond peacetime requirements.

🍻

I'll go one further; does anyone have access to a copy of the Otter Commission of 1919 . . .

🍻

From a 1949 Army historical report titled "The Reorganization of the Canadian Militia, 1919-1920";

". . .Unfortunately, the Otter Committee rendered no official report in full, . . ."

Back