• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Tiger- by Thomas Anderson, he does a good job showing the logistical side that went with these tanks. Really the Germans could not efficiently handle anything heavier, their recovery vehicles could barely handle a Tiger I. 

Just finished Luna:  New Moon by Ian McDonald.  It's pitched as "Game of Thrones on the Moon" which isn't totally incorrect, but I'd consider it more Godfather-like than GOT.  The first half is very slow to get through as it throws you in the middle of the large cast of characters and their various factions in multiple languages (there is a glossary and family/faction chart), but when the story picks up, it definitely does and sets up the 2nd book at a cliffhanger.

Apparently CBS is trying to get the rights to make it as a show, but after some of the things mentioned in the book, HBO would be a better choice unless they water it down significantly.  Definitely not one to read to the kids, or at work!

http://www.tor.com/2015/09/21/book-reviews-luna-new-moon-by-ian-mcdonald/

Will be reading "The Finest Hours" which is the soon to be released movie about the USCG rescue of merchant seaman in 1952.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-finest-hours-the-true/9781250044235-item.html?ikwid=the+finest+hours&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

Dimsum said:
The TV series is very good; not entirely faithful to the book though.

On episode 3, different from the book but still pretty good so far.

Now half-way through the third volume of George Blackburn's trilogy The Guns of Victory (1996).  It doesn't seem as enthralling as the second volume (but first published) on Normandy but seems to be picking up now that the Battle of the Reichswald is set to begin.

One of the things I like about Blackburn's work is that he made himself knowledgeable about the campaigns in NW Europe and can fit his part, and his regiment's part, into the strategy of the campaign.  It makes for a much more interesting read.  I found that Charles Sydney Frost did the same thing in his war autobiography Once a Patricia.  Frost's book came first and, I think to his credit, Blackburn followed the same format.  Both are great authors.

Cheers,
Dan.

51GY277S8NL._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

RCN in Retrospect: 1910-1968
Edited by James A Boutlier
UBC Publishing

I found this little gem in a used book store and have been reading it non stop since. I really enjoy the chapter on HMCS Labrador and its first arctic mission.

FJAG said:
If you like police procedurals and military fiction, my latest book in the Allies series, The Gulf, provides action in both venues.

I'm old.  Not into new-fangled e-books.  Is it available hard-copy in Canada?

Cheers,
Dan.

Dan M said:
I'm old.  Not into new-fangled e-books.  Is it available hard-copy in Canada?

Cheers,
Dan.

Funny you should ask. The short answer is not yet.

The longer answer is that there is a new concept out in the publishing world called "on-demand" hard copy publishing.

Essentially there are now several publishers out there who will make short runs (as little as one book) of hard copy paperbacks which are then mail-ordered out. Amazon offers such a service.

The down side is that it drives up the cost of the book. (My $4.00 books would be closer to $9-10) and I would need to make edits to the books to make them more attractive as hard copies (back cover and spine art, inside cover material, headers with page numbers etc). None of those are very hard but do need some attention and time and I have already decided that I will do so, sometime within the next year.

Since finishing the last book I have been doing some beta-testing on a new version of a timelining program which I am using to outline two new books I'm working on and when I find a natural break in the "creative" flow I will turn my attention to this.

Thanks for the interest.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Funny you should ask. The short answer is not yet.

The longer answer is that there is a new concept out in the publishing world called "on-demand" hard copy publishing.

Essentially there are now several publishers out there who will make short runs (as little as one book) of hard copy paperbacks which are then mail-ordered out. Amazon offers such a service.

The down side is that it drives up the cost of the book. (My $4.00 books would be closer to $9-10) and I would need to make edits to the books to make them more attractive as hard copies (back cover and spine art, inside cover material, headers with page numbers etc). None of those are very hard but do need some attention and time and I have already decided that I will do so, sometime within the next year.

Since finishing the last book I have been doing some beta-testing on a new version of a timelining program which I am using to outline two new books I'm working on and when I find a natural break in the "creative" flow I will turn my attention to this.

Thanks for the interest.

We've got this gizmo at our main library. http://www.windsorpubliclibrary.com/?portfolio=self-publishing

You had me excited for a moment (Windsor's not that far from me) until -like Big Bang's Sheldon - I said that "I want to do the math."

Long story short - using Amazon's CreateSpace service I can get a 400 page paperback done for myself for $5.65 with shipping of $7.00 (much less per book for larger volume shipments). On top of that the book can be put through the Amazon book distribution chain (where the prices would be different - I'm just comparing copies printed for the author.)

Windsor, on the other hand, charges a $20.00 one-time set-up fee; $3.50 for the cover and $0.05 per page (so $20.00 for 400 pages).

Thanks for the info however. It's always good to see the options available.

Journeyman said:
Maybe make it mandatory....

2152016081571.jpg

At 448 pages, this would require one hell of a reading list to make up for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kim-Kardashian-Selfish-West/dp/0789329204

Current borrowed books for local library:

Gwynne Dyer - "ISIS, Terror and Today's Middle East: DON'T PANIC"- 2015

David Levine - "Health Care and Politics: An Insider's View on Managing and Sustaining Health Care in Canada" - 2015

Both contain food for thought!

Back