• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Now most of the way through Unquiet Diplomacy (2005) by Paul Cellucci.
I fail to see what all the yelling is about: the guy is a lot more polite than far too many of our pols and media types are towards the US.

The book leans slightly towards being boring, but it's not a bad read for those worried about Canada/US relations (all of whom have probably read it already anyway...)

Canada's Secret Commandos: The Unauthorized Story of Joint Task Force Two about half way through it 

and Fiasco the American military adventure in Iraq............feels like i been reading that thing forever

The Assassins Gallery by David L. Robbins

Great suspense novel!!!

HL

Imperial Humbris by Michael Scheuer
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
The Emergence Of Modern Southeast Asia: A New History
Places In Between by Rory Stewart

Finished Cinderella Army. Both of Copp's books on 1st Cdn Army are pretty good and makes me want to look for more of his stuff. Now just getting into Defeat in malaya The fall of Singapore by Arthur Swinson. Good subway commute read but I think I know how it ends.  8)

A Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.

The world in the future where everyone is genetically "grown" in a lab and perpetually happy. That description alone should tell you that bad things are just under the surface waiting to throw a wrench into society.

A Maxim magazine from Feb 2003. It's nice (pretend a Borat accent here) :blotto:

Visual Basic .NET in 21 days....

schla18.gif

Just finished, Cold Zero : Inside the FBI Hostage Rescue Team by Christopher Whitco - good read and some insight into Ruby Ridge and Waco as well as the evolution of the FBI.

Am about a third through, Outside the Wire. The War in Afghanistan in the Words of Its Participants. Edited by Kevin Patterson and Jane Warren - So far, so good.

Next up, Contact Charlie: The Canadian Army, The Taliban and the Battle that Saved Afghanistan: Chris Wattie

Greg

Harlequin - Bernard Cornwell.  A charming tale of the hundred years war.
I just reread the Saxon series from the beginning and I thought I'd check out some of his other works besides the Sharpe series.

Just finished State of Fear by Michael Chrichton. May he rest in peace. :salute:

I just like to drown myself in Fantasy novels..  ^-^

Juno Beach by Mark Zuehlke. I have already read Gothic Line and recommend his line of works to everyone.

Just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by author of "The Kite Runner," Khaled Hosseini.

Like "The Kite Runner," the book's a fiction that historically chronicles the last 30 years of strife in Afghanistan--up to 2003.

Unlike "The Kite Runner," the two fictional characters central to the story are women.

Hosseini went to Afghanistan and interviewed hundreds of women for the book.

This book is a must-read for all those people who think Canada's involvement in Afghanistan is a waste of time--IMHO.

"The Year of Living Biblically" - a non-practicing Jew decided to spend a year trying to literally obey the Bible - then shifted to 8 months Old Testament, 4 months New Testament.  Intersting concept, at least...

Tommy,The British soldier on the Western Front 1914-1918
Another excellent read from Richard Holmes,concerns mainly
the Brits, but Canadians get an honerable mention,the front was
basically the same no matter whose army one served.
The book makes some attempt to debunk some of the myths
that were established in popular literature after the war.
Highly reccommended.
                            Regards

"Ted, White and Blue" by Ted Nugent

Far more sensible and thought out than I ever would have imagined - with all of the Nugent "pizazz" that you would expect

leroi said:
Just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by author of "The Kite Runner," Khaled Hosseini.

Like "The Kite Runner," the book's a fiction that historically chronicles the last 30 years of strife in Afghanistan--up to 2003.

Unlike "The Kite Runner," the two fictional characters central to the story are women.

Hosseini went to Afghanistan and interviewed hundreds of women for the book.

This book is a must-read for all those people who think Canada's involvement in Afghanistan is a waste of time--IMHO.

Both books were great!!  Have you seen the movie The Kite Runner?  I hope they make one from A Thousand Splendid Suns as well.  Awesome books!

Back