• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What if?

armyguy62

Inactive
Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been proposed before..... what if Armed Forces members voted (Federally ) where they were posted, rather than where they joined? I expect a great many members still vote in their "home riding". IF the majority of service members sided with one candidate (in most ridings with a base) they would likely carry that person. There are enough ridings in Canada that still have a CF base OR have CF members (posted to local CF bases) that any Federal party will pay attention. Thoughts?

We have the choice to vote where we reside or where we were recruited from.  Although I don't invest a lot of time asking other troops where they vote, I suspect your theory about where the majority vote may be wrong.

Furthermore, in the instances where the majority of voters in a riding are military, I doubt there is a lawful way to get every service member to vote for one particular candidate; we're all different and all see politics in our own ways. 

You are right, and I did not intend for it to mean a "union" where we voted as a group. What I was getting at was that (at least in the late 80's/early90's) most single (and a significant # of married, by my own anecdotal survey) servicemembers voted in their home town. All I am suggesting is, if suddenly, the majority of servicemembers in a riding (usually surrounding a base) registered as wishing to vote locally it would be noticed. I would not suggest a block vote, but (I would think) most service members (and spouses) tend to have the same political views.

In the Hellyer years the option of changing one's place of ordinary residence was changed to not allow members of the forces to select a riding that they did not have a personal relationship with. A member of the forces could change one's riding of residence riding effective 1 January, but this as altered to ensure en bloc tranfers could not effect the result in a selected riding, like Paul's.

What do the regulations allow now?

That is pretty much my point.... the gov't does not want a large population to hold sway over certain small ridings, thereby carrying a relatively large vote (did that make sense??)  I know we were all told that it was meant to keep us in touch with our original ridings, but consider.........  wouldn't it make sense for the fed's to keep large groups of (generally) like minded people from voting as a group? Imagine ( Edmonton, Petawawa, Ottawa, Gagetown, Halifax, for example...) ridings where the Gov't knew there was likely a consensus and so they would either appeal to those voters or suffer the consequences. I'm just pondering......

Having all CF members and their spouses (assuming like-mindedness) would not necessarily work to the benefit of DND. 

If all CF members changed their riding to that of their residence, then how many ridings would possibly be dominated, or merely swayed by those perceived centres of mass?  And most of those ridings not likely by enough to really be a decisive influence.

You might presume that one federal party would be notably more pro-military.  OK, so all the military-vote dominated ridings swing that way and those 10 or so seats are locked in.

Consider these scenarios:

What if that party “we” all vote for winds up with a majority anyway,? The CF vote may not have really affected the overall outcome (or such credit may not be offered in any case), so any general election promises still have to be spread out across the country. 

Or what if the party “we” vote for forms the loyal opposition?  Could DND expect strong support from the party that forms the government if not a single major base was in one of their ridings?  Do we want our future to ride primarily on the skills of the defence critic?

Lastly, what if a minority third party that holds nothing more than those few seats in the House sweeps the military ridings? Who really represents us in the House then?

Trying to rally the serving military vote, which is possibly 60K members and (perhaps) 40K spouses, is a drop in the bucket against 20 million potential voters (about 60% of whom show up).  While the effects may not be statistically measurable at all, the optics of just trying to rally that vote, or the possible behaviour of parties trying to attract that vote without expecting to be in a position to deliver, could cause more harm than good.

Election stats - http://www.elections.ca/loi/com2001/comp2001_overview/app01_e.shtml

I strongly disagree. Although I do not have the intelligence or ability with the english language to carry my argument, here it is.....
All I am saying is that we, serving and retired members of the CF have a right  to voice our opinion in the manner in which we feel it will do the most good. I joined the service in Moncton, NB, but was voting in Shediac, NB.  How many people in Shediac care about Defence matters?? Very few I expect, given all the other issues they have to be concerned about.

My point was that there a number of CF bases that could raise concern for Federal parties. I am NOT proposing a union, just that members decide to vote where they reside. I think that political parties would suddenly decide that 12 or 15 ridings across the country that MIGHT vote together were worth a little attention. If I am wrong, are we any further behind than we are now??

Keep in mind we're only talking about the 60,000 (ish) Regular Force members.  Reserve Force members and spouses already vote where they live and, if there's a pro-military concensus, they're already voting that way.

Now, how many electoral districts might we be concerned with?  This page shows DND Infrastructure in these ridings:

ProvinceLocationElectoral District
AlbertaCold LakeLakeland
EdmontonEdmonton West
SuffieldMedecine Hat
WainwrightCrowfoot
British ColumbiaComoxVancouver Island North
EsquimaltEsquimalt-Juan de Fuca
NanaimoNanaimo - Cowichan
ManitobaPortage la PrairiePortage - Lisgar
ShiloBrandon-Souris
WinnipegCharleswood-St. James -
Assiniboia
New BrunswickGagetownFredericton
MonctonMoncton - Riverview - Dieppe
Newfoundland and LabradorGanderGander-Grand Falls
Goose BayLabrador
St. John’sSt John’s East
Nova ScotiaGreenwoodKings-Hants
HalifaxHalifax
OntarioBordenSimcoe - Grey
KingstonKingston and the Islands
MeafordBruce – Grey – Owen Sound
NDHQOttawa - Vanier
North BayNipissing
PetawawaRenfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke
TorontoWillowdale
TrentonPrince Edward - Hastings
QuebecBagotvilleChicoutimi-Le Fjord
MontrealMercier
NDHQHull - Aylmer
NicoletBas-Richelieu – Nicolet - Bécanco
ValcartierCharlesbourg-Jacques-Cartier
SaskatchewanMoose JawPalliser
Northwest TerrritoriesYellowknifeWestern Arctic
YukonWhitehorseYukon

Now, I suppose we need only consider those base areas with large concentrations, for example Halifax, Ottawa and Edmonton.

But, in those areas, we also deal with multiple electoral districts which thin out the potential effect of collective voting.  This site shows the following districts with in or adjacent to those cities (I think I got all or most of them.):

CITYRIDINGVOTE COUNT (2006)
HalifaxHalifax49962
Halifax West44206
Dartmouth44959
Sackville--Musquodoboit Valley--Eastern Shore43152
OttawaOttawa [Glengarry--Prescott--Russell]55320
Ottawa [Lanark--Carleton]59460
Ottawa [Nepean--Carleton]71873
Ottawa [Ottawa Centre]66626
Ottawa [Ottawa South]61510
Ottawa [Ottawa West--Nepean]59450
Ottawa [Ottawa--Orléans]61988
Ottawa [Ottawa--Vanier]55695
Hull53794
Gatineau53743
EdmontonEdmonton Centre57530
Edmonton East50040
Edmonton - Leduc55784
Edmonton - Mill Woods - Beaumont46384
Edmonton - St. Albert58628
Edmonton - Sherwood Park54306
Edmonton - Spruce Grove58097
Edmonton - Strathcona52770
TOTAL1215277

Voter stats from http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/electionnight/

Now, split up the, possibly, 20,000 Reg F voters among the electoral districts in those three geographical areas.  20K voters (if you got them all out) among 1.2 million voters. That's 1.6 % of the turnout.

So, how many electoral districts would the theoretical concentrated military vote really sway?

Back