• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

turbonium said:
because not paying attention to details gets you killed.

Noone is saying not to pay attention to detail, they're just reenforcing the idea that there's a time for questions and you'll be told when that is. Usually when staff say do it now, they mean do it now and if you really feel the need to know why...you can ask later when the pace has slowed down a little. Can you imagine if in the field your section cmdr ordered Pte Bloggins to shoot the advancing enemy and he stopped and asked why?

Cat said:
Noone is saying not to pay attention to detail, they're just reenforcing the idea that there's a time for questions and you'll be told when that is. Usually when staff say do it now, they mean do it now and if you really feel the need to know why...you can ask later when the pace has slowed down a little. Can you imagine if in the field your section cmdr ordered Pte Bloggins to shoot the advancing enemy and he stopped and asked why?
Thats it Cat !! you got it, a lot of civil dont understand why you get yourself yelled at when ure a recruit or on a course but they should read what you got said. there is time for action and other for question.

Cat said:

you are absolutely right. my bad. i should have said something like "asking questions now gets you killed".

turbonium said:
you are absolutely right. my bad. i should have said something like "asking questions now gets you killed".

That would be getting caught up in the minute details with wording. Lack of attention to detail will get people hurt, there is no doubt about that. Someone may not get hurt every time a detail is missed, but if a big one is missed, it can have the potential to be catastrophic. Asking questions in the field, when time is of the essence is bad too, as it eats up valuable reaction time.

Chapeski said:
That would be getting caught up in the minute details with wording. Lack of attention to detail will get people hurt, there is no doubt about that. Someone may not get hurt every time a detail is missed, but if a big one is missed, it can have the potential to be catastrophic. Asking questions in the field, when time is of the essence is bad too, as it eats up valuable reaction time.

Its all about asking the *right* questions, and all kinds of other things in the field.  A good Ldr will anticipate future/implied tasks, and have his/her 2 i/c preping in that manner after receiving the Wng O.  Better safe than sorry.

Example, we would get a Wng O for RAPZ recce, and I would have my Jnr CC cover CP drills on top of the 'expected' ones...

ARMY_101 said:
Here's another:

- Don't be first
- Don't be last

The last guy is the student who's in charge.  If you're gonna be second last, the only excuse is that you're helping someone else get their s**t together so They can make the timing too.  If you're first, then you left everyone else to hang, and you suck.

Azizti said:
From what my friends have told me that have passed through BMQ and reading on this forum.
I think it was CDN Aviator that mentionned that everything they do in BMQ has a reason. From having a perfect/clean setup to shinning your boots.

I think it's better for me to start this process with good intentions instead of going into it saying ''oh it will be easy I can just cheat my way through''.

Cheers ^^

Before I went to basic (just over a year ago) a really good friend who's a retired captain told me "Don't ever forget it's a game."
Basic training gives you the most rudimentary skills, and teaches you to maximize your ability to operate under an enduring, moderate level of stress.
Make friends, work your butt off to be as good as you can, and when you're done the game will start to make sense.

Good Luck

I'm hopefully going to be heading to take my BMQ soon, i have my aptitude, medical, and interview in two weeks, and i just wanted to thanks all the people posting here cause it has helped getting a general knowledge of what I'm in for. Both my perants have already done it but the more i know the better. but i do have one question and one statement.
i will admit i only read as far back as the 2006 posts because i know the course set up changed to a 13 week course so i figured some things may not apply anymore, so my question: I read that you wanted to avoid the MIR, because they re-course you or overreact, but i also read that you wanted to ensure you went to the MIR for anything to avoid it turning into something of real issue.
i understand going the MIR to make sure your in top shape, i mean you going to be getting pushed both physically and mentally everyday and you don't need to have unneeded paine to go along with that, but i mean i don't want to be re-coursed for something stupid like that.

statement: this is in reference to the swearing thing, on this i agree with everyone saying the swearing isn't really a bad thing, i mean swearing has always been used to show urgency, show anger, or that your serious. it makes sense that someone would use swear words to get their point across, because no matter who you are or what language you speak, if you understand English you understand whats meant whenpeople swear. If the instructors started using big words the message might not get across as well, and as a personal note, I've just got my highschool and if i was getting yelled at by my instructor and he was using big words to attempt to get the message across i would probably just get confused and i would find it more amusing then a real reaming out. and i think i speak for everyone when i say the last thing you want to do is snicker at an instructor. Also I've never experienced big words working better then swear words in a situation like that.

well that would be my 2 cents.

again thanks to everyone that's put some input in here, I'll try to remember as much as i can but I'm sure I'll forget allot once they start to plow my head full of all the other stuff I'll get told when I'm there.

I heard alot of people talking about "Ghost kits" and boots that they only use for inspection. How can you learn the proper discipline if you never have to clean your soap dish, or ever have to shine boots. I am leaving for BMQ in a week or so and I think that doing these things would only make someone an even better soldier. Being the stubborn man that I am, I chose infantry, how would one ever progress in something like the infantry if they keep a ghost kit with them. What happens in the field when you have limited space, and can't bring your ghost kit? So from someone who is a recruit, and as far as the staff at BMQ are concerned, I know absolutely nothing. If I can figure this out, I think that you shouldn't listen to these ghost kit stories, shine the boots, scrape the dirt, and get every damn hair out of your razor. It can only help you in the long run right, because if it didn't teach you anything, what's the point?

There will always be someone looking for shortcuts to avoiding work during basic.  I dont doubt that their 'success' in 'foiling' their instructors has ben magnified by ego and time. 

For a (tame) example of what happens to those people when found out, watch 'An Officer and a Gentleman'

(like this image here: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2274920960/tt0084434)

I agree might as well do what your told to do and not beat around the bush. The instructors have been down that road before so I'm sure they know all the little tricks and stuff.

Seeing as we are on the topic of what not to do, I had read in another thread that it is a good idea to run the mop heads through the last wash of the evening, then to ring them out and allow them to hang dry over night. To me this sounds like a good idea, ensures the mop is always clean, and should be adequately dry by inspection. Would this be considered as cheating or cutting corners? If so I'd like to wipe the idea from my mind before I leave for basic.

I don't see why that would be a bad idea as long as you're not running them through the wash with uniforms.  But I haven't done basic yet.... so what do I know?

Lil_T said:
I don't see why that would be a bad idea as long as you're not running them through the wash with uniforms.  But I haven't done basic yet.... so what do I know?

Your basic is July 27th,right? I'll see you there, hopefully we'll both know before then.

Washing mops should be fine.  It's all part of your qualification of Combat Janitor Technician.  However, be aware that mops tend to leave a lot of junk in the washing machines, so run an empty load through it to flush out the junk or you may be disappointed as to what turns up on your clothes. 
Have fun in basic. 

Thanks for the tip. Certainly going to keep that in mind. Guess the mops will be the 2nd last load of the night then.

Usually there is a "Last Minute" mopping that takes place. This, in theory, should leave two mops still damp. Although, yes, you will have a clean mop head, you MAY be picked up for having a dirty floor for having clean and dry mops. It's your platoons call however, feel free to give it a shot. My platoon didn't bother with this, however it may be effective.

Back