• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

Jamzes said:
It was a tongue in cheek response, blah blah blah

By the time that you have half of Nerf Herder's (considerable) experience, you will be making the same comments as he does to people who persist in making silly comments, like yours, despite a complete lack of experience.

Here's some advice.

SHUT.  THE.  FUCK.  UP.

My New Years Resolution is to be subtle and gentle with stupid people.  Hope it's working.

All you have when you enter this world is your integrity. If you get caught cheating in BMQ, it won't look very good for you. In certain trades and MOC training, if you get caught cheating or lying, its an automatic removal from training and punt out of the trade. I wouldn't use Star Trek as a role model or a basis for anything in todays Canadian military... except maybe phasers. There won't be some panel of officers and course staff saying... "oh, it was creativity... drop the charges guys, he was just being creative..."

One of the fundamental pillars of being in the military is trust. Can you trust the guy next to you in a scrap? Can you trust that the Avionics Tech fixing your plane (hint this is future you... maybe) actually spent the time studying and didn't cheat on the exam? Can you trust he knows the material he is required to know?

Can the pilot trust that you (again... a possible future avionics tech...) actually spent the time fixing what was broken to the standard required and not cutting corners?

This is why people here got fired up about your stupid comments. You are arguing for cheating, plain and simple. No gives a frig about some excuse like working creatively around defined parameters or

"The reality is there will always be constraints on your choices but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to break out of those constraints". Those phrases are just bullshit for cheating.

Jamzes said:
Yeah, it is.

EXCUSE ME!

Jamzes said:
OK, I'll throw in here as well. I received the same email from CFRGOperations@forces.gc.ca On October 8th saying my application is on hold until January 31. The actual PDF file was named Intake Mgmt Hold. Then, on October 21st I received another email from Appointments.Ottawa@forces... booking me for an interview and medical and to start the security screening.

It appears they ground everyone's application to a halt then are starting up some others again possibly?

They also gave me the same security forms to fill out again that I included with my original application.

Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Avionics Tech
Trade Choice 2: Aerospace Control Operator
Trade Choice 3: Air weapons systems Tech
Application Date: March 2014
First Contact: April 10 2014
CFAT : June 3rd (competitive)
Medical : Scheduled: November 26th
Interview: Scheduled: November 26th
Swear In Ceremony: TBD
Position Offered: TBD
Basic Training: TBD

You are talking back to people who have more time in the Service of this country than you have since your conception.  Time for you to take a "TIME OUT" (And that is being polite.).

I have 8 years of previous service. Hence, you are assuming. And this is not even my thread. I don't advocate for cheating. I just advocate for original thinking. Take a chill pill.

JesseWZ said:
All you have when you enter this world is your integrity. If you get caught cheating in BMQ, it won't look very good for you. In certain trades and MOC training, if you get caught cheating or lying, its an automatic removal from training and punt out of the trade. I wouldn't use Star Trek as a role model or a basis for anything in todays Canadian military... except maybe phasers. There won't be some panel of officers and course staff saying... "oh, it was creativity... drop the charges guys, he was just being creative..."

One of the fundamental pillars of being in the military is trust. Can you trust the guy next to you in a scrap? Can you trust that the Avionics Tech fixing your plane (hint this is future you... maybe) actually spent the time studying and didn't cheat on the exam? Can you trust he knows the material he is required to know?

Can the pilot trust that you (again... a possible future avionics tech...) actually spent the time fixing what was broken to the standard required and not cutting corners?

This is why people here got fired up about your stupid comments. You are arguing for cheating, plain and simple. No gives a frig about some excuse like working creatively around defined parameters or

"The reality is there will always be constraints on your choices but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to break out of those constraints". Those phrases are just bullshit for cheating.

:rofl:  That's some high quality mentoring, right there!  :rofl:

Not a troll. But people could really learn to have some.manners when offering a differing opinion. For a professional community some seem to have forgotten the basics.

I suppose my arguments are purely academic that don't cross over to this discussion. Anyway, I will endeavor to listen more. :snowman:

Jamzes said:
But people could really learn to have some.manners when offering a differing opinion. For a professional community some seem to have forgotten the basics.

You are judged, here, solely upon the words that you type. That is all that we have to go by.

Perhaps you are not actually saying what you think that you are, as multiple people have taken some measure of offence due to your words.

We have seen many others, here and in real life, who believe that they are "the only one in step", and that is how you come across.

And, if you want people to realize that you have previous time in, fill out your profile. That will give you a little credibility, perhaps. Otherwise, you look just like another kid wannabe who knows everything because he is brilliant at some super-duper computer game and can't tell the difference between games/movies and reality.

Just had my first weekend of reserve BMQ, and I gotta say is make sure you arrive there in tip top shape.I know I did. So when you get jacked up it won't faze you at all. Listen to the instructors and I think you should be alright. I'm looking forward to the rest of the upcoming weekends. All I gotta do is give it my best and understand that I will frig up and get jacked up, but eventually I will improve because I know I want too. The only few things I have a problem with is the showers not giving us the option to change the water temperature to cold since I've only been taking cold showers for the past months and intend to do for the rest of my life, and having enough time to use the toilet to take a dump. Asides from that I believe that I'm ready for whatever is thrown at me. I love it!

"There are no excuses."

If you were to imagine the NY Yankee logo replaced by the CAF logo, some recruits may find this motivational.

The basics of basic:

Here's the psychology:  The people put in charge of training recruits are there to MAKE SURE that you will be loyal to the military, and you will NOT report, or cause problems for, your superiors.  THIS is why they yell at you.  It's a test.  They give you conflicting orders on purpose.  If one of your platoon mates comes to you offering help or advice that seems too good to be true, like using hairspray on the bottom of your boots (which any dummy can tell would cause the ground to be sticky, and therefore attract dust bunnies on any surface you touch... especially in St. Jean) He's a plant.  The military for certain DOES use shills in their platoons, and they regularly come as "replacements" for those that have failed.  By the way, they do this so that they can skew the pass fail rate of their platoon... i.e. let's say 45 recruits were indoctrinated at the beginning of the course... and 20 fail for whatever reason, during the course.  They will NOT count only 25 passes, IF 10 more are inducted into the platoon during the course... this counts as only 10 recruits failing.  So they LOVE these guys that come in half way, and have already been indoctrinated heavily into the military culture...  I am NOT saying that it is bad to force people to become time management experts... and even to force people who already are time management experts to choose between a bad situation, and a worse one.  What I AM saying is that you should NEVER trust the guy sitting next to you.  Take in the orders, and try to dissect what the instructor is REALLY saying during classes.  They sneak these things in during death by powerpoint classes... So... not only do you have to pay attention to the powerpoints, and score well on the exams... but you also have to read between the lines... when an instructor is saying "Everyone should be raising their hands to answer this question", He's really trying to single out people who don't know the answer, so he can make a fool out of them for not knowing it.  And if your hand is down, after him saying that... you're DEFINITELY going to get picked.  You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  This is not an endeavor for people with a combination of poor memory skills, and poor organizational skills.  I keep a personal journal of every single interaction I have during the day.  Not necessarily itemized by time, but just a general daily log of what happened...  If you are bad at organizing, and bad at memorizing... this single tool will be your saving grace.  So pull your blanket over your head and pull out your flashlight every night, and fill your journal with everything that happened during the day.  I guarantee you, your superiors are NOT doing this.  In doing this, you will be saved from any wrath that was intended for you... I guarantee it.

Trust me, officers do not like reading about how MCpls mismanaged time so that the troops had no time to eat... even in the Mega at St. Jean.  This is your ammunition, and every single letter you lay down in your journal is like a bullet.  In this respect, I promise you... the pen is mightier than the sword (or the C7A2 Automatic Rifle produced by Colt Canada).  I am teaching you how to wag the dog here... and I guarantee you, this will not be well received by MCpls and above... and those who are hoping for a promotion.

You'll notice that those that can make a turd shine, will make it very far in the military.

You'll get used to receiving orders that conflict, or don't make sense, and then have to make sense of them yourself and pass it on to your subordinates.

You'll love it when you get to the point in your career that you realize that others are forced to respect you because you have a crown stitched to your chest...  Some branches with leaves on them help to impose your authority too.

Having said this... keeping your eye on the prize, at the end of the road, when you finally look back and realize how badly you've been done in, is paramount to understanding the degree to which our national security in Canada matters.

The big picture is always more important than these little beginners tips that everyone seems to be so wrapped up in.  Trust me, you can be the smartest guy or gal paper wise in your platoon in basic... but you can still fail.  This isn't a podium test... there's always room for 26th place to rise to the top, if he or she has the right stuff... or even 45th place... which is rare, but you get my meaning

Back