• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats new in Recruiting? Gen Hillier's thoughts. Options for improvement.

Chief Clerk

Inactive
Reaction score
Recruiters - any new happenings on the horizon that will even better our current system?

1.  Is recruiting due for any new changes in CFRG?
2.  The way we currently administer enrollment meds?
3.  Regionalization of CFRCs vice having CFRG?
4.  Possible ways of getting people in quicker?
5.  general stuff?

Military has to broaden appeal and change how it recruits, says defence chief
at 14:43 on July 15, 2005, EST.
STEPHEN THORNE

OTTAWA (CP) - The military needs to broaden its appeal to attract quality people to meet hefty expansion targets in the next five years, says the chief of defence staff. Gen. Rick Hillier says the number of recruits is "somewhat down from where we want them" and it's time the brass looked at how the military sells itself.

"We're going to have to reach out to Canadians to recruit here . . . because it is not automatic that they're considering us as a career or even as a three-or four-year option right now," Hillier said.

"We're going to have to change our methodology."

Capt. Holly-Anne Brown said that half way into this year the Armed Forces had recruited about 42 per cent of the year's enlistment target and 46 per cent for officers.

Summer is traditionally the military's strongest recruiting period, said Brown of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group in Borden, Ont.

The Forces are attracting between 2.5 and three candidates for every recruit, said Brown.

Hillier wants that closer to 10 to one, and he wants the army, navy and air force to better reflect Canada's ethnic makeup.

He says National Defence needs more savvy marketing aimed at narrower audiences and to capitalize on opportunities to enhance its image.

He's to meet senior recruiters next week to discuss logjams in processing new soldiers, sailors and aircrew.

The federal government has promised money to expand the military by 5,000 regular personnel and 3,000 reservists over five years. Eighty per cent will go to front-line army units.

A recent internal army study found that some young people interested in the military tended to lack life goals, felt alienated and accepted violence to achieve ends.

The study, "Canada's Soldiers: Military Ethos and Canadian Values in the 21st Century Army," found candidates who were spoiled, petulant and, while deferring to authority, tended to look after their own interests.

"We're not going to take anybody who doesn't meet the standard," Hillier said at a luncheon this week. "Clearly, if we have a greater number, you get to pick that man or woman who's obviously slightly better, etc.

"We are above (the standard) and we're going to remain above it."

He said the military has to boost its representation of women, minorities and aboriginals by focusing on specific communities and groups.

"I am looking at trying to change the demographic of the Canadian Forces so that we are seen as employer of choice for every ethnic group in every part of our great country," he said.

"Right now, we are not because many folks, perhaps, look at us and don't see themselves in us."

Making the military better reflect the country's makeup is "fundamental to success 10, 15, 20 years down the road," he added.

"We just need to aggressively pursue it here. It's a command-leadership issue that we need to get at."

Hillier said he's satisfied with current incentives to join the military, which include educational opportunities and signing bonuses of up to $225,000 for doctors.

But he said incentives and TV advertising alone just aren't cutting it. Marketing the Armed Forces requires a more complex approach.

Hillier says the military recently did not fully exploit an opportunity to sell itself at the Calgary Stampede, where organizers gave it prime space free to set up a booth worth up to $90,000 in rent.

He said their hosts expressed "an incredible desire to profile and highlight the Canadian Forces."

Between 1.2 million and 1.5 million people pass through the Stampede over 10 days, creating what Hillier called an "awesome opportunity" for recruiters.

"Three hundred thousand people, minimum, will visit our display," Hillier said. "We came at it incoherently."

The army brought a gunnery team and Afghan vets, the navy sent crew from HMCS Calgary, the air force flew a helicopter over the grandstand with the national flag suspended beneath it - admirable but not enough, said Hillier.

"I looked at this and thought: 'My goodness, we're missing an opportunity,' " he said.

The Skyhawks parachute team was jumping elsewhere, and the Snowbirds were flying somewhere else, he noted.

"It seemed to me that we, as the Canadian Forces, had missed an opportunity to converge our assets and hit this massive population of folks with everything that we had to raise our profile."

The Forces should have had a recruiting centre "stuck right in there at the same time so that, as you fire people up and get them emotional and get the thrill down their spine and get a little trickle in their eye, you have somebody right there ready to sign them," he said.

"It's something like press-ganging, but without the violence."

He says recruiters need to be at six major events across Canada each year - Carnivale in Quebec, the Tattoo in Nova Scotia, Canada Day in Ottawa, the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, the Pacific Exhibition in Vancouver, and the Stampede.

Chief Clerk,

Hot off the press for you.  ;)

Cheers, mdh

Hillier says the military recently did not fully exploit an opportunity to sell itself at the Calgary Stampede, where organizers gave it prime space free to set up a booth worth up to $90,000 in rent.
I was at the Stampede displays this year, and the year before. There was lots more there this year, but it really just boils down to a few displays of weapons a vehicles. I talked with a few of the soldiers and asked a lot of questions about the equipment which they really understood and had lots of great info for me.

Years ago, when there was a large base in Calgary, me and my family went to see a parade and demostrations on Canada day. The Army put on a demo of a section attack, and had machine guns set up to shoot blanks. It was highly supervised and people were allowed to come up and lie on the ground and pull the trigger a few times. (I can't imagine them allowing something like that now) But it was a great time!

Would be nice to see them put on some demonstations, of some kind, at the Stampede. Would make the experience more engaging.

hmmm, no mention of us barrel-chested, agile as a grey hounds, tough as leather, hard as steel Canadian Paratroopers. You wanna attract people to the Forces? Show us silly buggers doin' really cool stuff. It captures the imagination, if nothing else. Then, people get to the Recruiters, and start thinking logically about what they really want to do. But the "flash" gets them there in the first place.

Plus, it would involve a bunch of us going to Calgary for the Stampede, and it's always a great party! (Dad used to race chuckwagons. Spent a lot of time at the Stampede.)

10:1 target but still hoping to focus on increasing women, aboriginals and minorities...does not compute...Does that mean WASM chosen will be the elite and non-WASM will be first come first serve.

The Forces are attracting between 2.5 and three candidates for every recruit, said Brown.

Hillier wants that closer to 10 to one, and he wants the army, navy and air force to better reflect Canada's ethnic makeup.

The PAO is saying that it takes 2.5 to 3.0 applicants to produce one recruit (which is true) and the CDS wants it to be 10 applicants to produce one recruit.  Please tell me you copied and pasted that wrong?

The best way to cut down the recruiting process time is to increase the size of every CFRC/D two-fold, especially the med staff, put them all in bigger and better facilities, locate them in accessible and visible areas, give them a budget that is realistic, and let RMC, the CIC and reserves process their own applicants.  That will make it easier and faster for the Reg F NCMs and DEOs to be processed and enrolled.

Face it not everyone is cut out for it (esp Cmbt arms).  I just wish they brought back the QL2/QL3, ISCC programs and didn't coddle these candidates so the BN's are screwed in the short term.

CFL said:
Face it not everyone is cut out for it (esp Cmbt arms).   I just wish they brought back the QL2/QL3, ISCC programs and didn't coddle these candidates so the BN's are screwed in the short term.
not only the BN's. This constant watering down of the standards and challenges in Basic and the Battle Schools isn't fair to the recruits, either. They don't get to realize their full potential.

I agree with paracowboy.

We recruit on the basis of being a fun place to work, with no violence or pain, job security and acceptance for all.

Why don't we start showing $hit exploding, arty firing (and impacting) targets and enemies being blown apart, weapons going rapid fire, ships and boarding parties, jumpers in the air....

Instead, we get a young inuit woman bemoaning her lack of a career.

If we were to concentrate on hiring the young and agressive, of all colors and creeds, we would be served better in the long and short term than hiring those who have failed in the civilian workplace and now require a paycheque and a pension.

When was the last time you saw a Marine Corps recruiting drive like this? They are hitting their recruiting standards - even now, in the midst of an unpopular war.

Lets put the violence back into war and the people that fight it. We are not civil servants.

I am amazed they are addressing recruiting issues and pleased, as well (minus the suggestion of racial quotas). Common sense at the top.  :salute:

I went on to the Marine Recruiting website today as well as the Canadian Forces Recruiting Website, and after visiting both I would be more likely to go to the Marine Recruiting Center [if Canadian's were allowed to apply] then the CFRC. Here's the thing on the Marine website they immediately hit you with slogans like The Few The Proud, for those who belong, and When I see a marine I see pride and strength, how do I get there, etc. Canada's website plasters you with new pay raises, women in the armed forces, and Aboriginal Entry Programs. What I think we need to change is the politically correct image many see of our armed forces, and instead focus on getting in those applicants who feel that they want to serve their country. Perhaps if on the recruiting website they were to show images of Canadian victories abroad which can evoke pride in any person then more people would be applying. I think that since I've always been interested in the military, and proud of Canada's military accomplishments I went to the Recruiting Center because I felt the need to go there and apply, not because of some pay raise just introduced.

As well I disagree with the need to change the ethnic makeup of the forces, my understanding is that aboriginals are right now make up about 5% of the Army, close to the same amount as they make up of the general population. If immigrants feel they need to serve then all they have to do is go down to the recruiting center.

A question for those of you in the army, what made you decide to serve, for myself I want to go because of the tradition, the pride of the uniform, and the challenge the army has to offer. But it seems for some reason that now Canada's army is starting to get more and more softer with regards to image, etc.

Futuretrooper said:
A question for those of you in the army, what made you decide to serve, for myself I want to go because of the tradition, the pride of the uniform, and the challenge the army has to offer. But it seems for some reason that now Canada's army is starting to get more and more softer with regards to image, etc.

Go here for your answer:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32475.0.html

Let's keep this on track please.

OVER HERE Gen. Hiller look here !!!

They just spent like a million dollars on recruting videos i believe and i think thats a good step in terms of grabbing the publics attention. In the GTA they are even playing on radios.

:cdn:

Futuretrooper said:
I went on to the Marine Recruiting website today as well as the Canadian Forces Recruiting Website, and after visiting both I would be more likely to go to the Marine Recruiting Center [if Canadian's were allowed to apply] then the CFRC. Here's the thing on the Marine website they immediately hit you with slogans like The Few The Proud, for those who belong, and When I see a marine I see pride and strength, how do I get there, etc. Canada's website plasters you with new pay raises, women in the armed forces, and Aboriginal Entry Programs. What I think we need to change is the politically correct image many see of our armed forces, and instead focus on getting in those applicants who feel that they want to serve their country. Perhaps if on the recruiting website they were to show images of Canadian victories abroad which can evoke pride in any person then more people would be applying. I think that since I've always been interested in the military, and proud of Canada's military accomplishments I went to the Recruiting Center because I felt the need to go there and apply, not because of some pay raise just introduced.

http://www.cbc.ca/greatwar/

Heck, this persuaded me more than the CFRC website ;D

Chief Clerk said:
4.   Possible ways of getting people in quicker?
Here is one recent step in that direction:

CANFORGEN 097/05 ADM HR MIL 020 201321Z MAY 05
CHANGE TO ENROLMENT MEDICAL PROCEDURE
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. TRIAL DIRECTIVE 5323-1(COS ADM(HR-MIL)) 15 MAY 04
B. TRIAL ANALYSIS AND RECOMMENDATIONS 5671-2(COS CFRG) 5 JAN 05

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO ANNOUNCE A CHANGE TO THE ENROLMENT MEDICAL PROCEDURE

BACKGROUND. AS A RESULT OF A REVIEW OF PRIMARY RESERVE (PRES) HR POLICIES A TRIAL WAS CONDUCTED TO DETERMINE THE FEASIBILITY OF EXPEDITING MEDICAL PROCEDURES FOR PRES RECRUIT APPLICANT ENROLMENT. THIS TRIAL INITIALLY INVOLVED THE PRIMARY RESERVE LAND FORCE ELEMENTS AND THE RECRUITING AND MEDICAL ASPECTS CONTROLLED BY ADM(HR-MIL). UNDER THIS TRIAL APPLICANTS WOULD BE ENROLLED INTO THE PRES AFTER BEING DEEMED MEDICALLY FIT BASED ON THE MEDICAL PART 2 WHILE PENDING FINAL MEDICAL PART 3 APPROVAL

TRIAL ANALYSIS RESULTS CONCLUDED THAT THE RISK OF ENROLLING A MEDICALLY UNFIT APPLICANT WAS MINIMAL AND ACCEPTABLE. ANY APPLICANTS SUBSEQUENTLY FOUND TO BE UNFIT ON THE MEDICAL PART 3 WILL BE RELEASED UNDER QR AND O 15.01 ITEM 5E (IRREGULAR ENROLMENT). THIS PROCEDURAL CHANGE HAS NOW BEEN ADOPTED ON A PERMANENT BASIS FOR ALL PRES APPLICANTS AND WILL BE ADOPTED FOR ALL REGULAR FORCE APPLICANTS EFFECTIVE 1 JUNE 05. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO CIC APPLICANTS. THE EXTENSION OF THIS PROCEDURE TO CIC APPLICANTS IS CURRENTLY THE SUBJECT OF ONGOING CONSIDERATION

Well, here is an idea that I've bopped around before - I'm not sure I put it here yet, but I'll throw it up for the sake of discussion:

It seems that the recruiting process is a disjointed and disorganized process that ebbs and flows, leading to frustration among applicants who are tugged along for the ride.

The way I understand it, there needs to be 5 things done for a recruit to be processed:
1) Medical
2) Fitness Assessment
3) Interview
4) Security and Reliability Check
5) Aptitude Test

Perhaps we need a system like the RM uses, holding a 3-day "Potential Soldier" course at cities around Canada.  Run by a recruiting cell, applicants will come to these things for a 2-night stay and essentially "DAG" into the Forces.  In the 3 days, applicants will be assessed and interviewed by a "Course Officer" - essentially a recruiting Officer, and administered by Recruiting NCOs.

A basic medical should be done at the CFRC when the applicant walks in the door - this should be done to ensure that people with medical conditions are screened before being thrown into a "Indoc Course" which may be a hazard to their health.  Those who have no medical "hick-ups" should be immediately booked into an Indoc Course, which should probably be a bi-monthly or monthly affair.

In the course of the 3 day indoc course, they will be:
-  Given a thourough medical examination (by a contracted civilian physician if need be)
-  Given a basic PT test to ensure they can move on with the training.
-  Assessed in a detailed interview by the Recruiting Officer
-  Fill out the security clearance form for processing
-  Write the aptitude test
-  Be run through a battery of exercises and drill by NCOs to "acclimate" them to military discipline and the demands of a soldier.
-  Be run through a series of lectures on career options, military life, pay, admin, what to expect, etc, etc.

Those who successfully navigate the 3 day "Indoc Course" will be issued a pair of boots to break in and be told when to expect to move onto St. Jean for BMQ (and thus offered a contract) - the onus is now on the training system to sort itself out and handle the influx of processed recruits.  While the recruit is waiting to leave, the detailed background check is being processed -  in the contract would be a condition allows the military an "out" if a potential recruit's background check fails.

Those who fail any aspect will be given the necessary advice on where to improve on and be booked for another "Indoc Course" a few months down the road.  Some will not like the 3-day military experience and simply decline to move on - thus the recruiting end has done its part in screening applicants and saving the training system from having to deal with duds.

Like a Reserve Weekend BMQ, this can probably be run out of a high school gym if necessary (using the field for training), allowing for flexibility in roving recruiting teams to hold "Indoc Courses".  The advantage of using this is that it does a "screens" applicant and groups all their requirements for processing into a single 3 day period.  The CFRC has then done its part of the deal, and it is now the Training systems duty to deal with whatever influx the CFRC gives them (which is another problem and thread altogether).

The process shouldn't take more then a month to complete from the time a recruit walks into a door to the time that he is deemed suitable to be loaded onto a basic training course.

Here is a page explaining the Potential Royal Marine Course that the RM recruiters use:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2654.html

While it's good to hear the medical portion of res recruiting is being improved it's worrying that it took the better part of a decade.

Now if only the decade long effort to apply physical fitness standards to Class A res will come up with something.

Next step. Enrolling pers with former service in less than a year.

Infanteer said:
Well, here is an idea that I've bopped around before - I'm not sure I put it here yet, but I'll throw it up for the sake of discussion:

It seems that the recruiting process is a disjointed and disorganized process that ebbs and flows, leading to frustration among applicants who are tugged along for the ride.

The way I understand it, there needs to be 5 things done for a recruit to be processed:
1) Medical
2) Fitness Assessment
3) Interview
4) Security and Reliability Check
5) Aptitude Test

Perhaps we need a system like the RM uses, holding a 3-day "Potential Soldier" course at cities around Canada.  Run by a recruiting cell, applicants will come to these things for a 2-night stay and essentially "DAG" into the Forces.  In the 3 days, applicants will be assessed and interviewed by a "Course Officer" - essentially a recruiting Officer, and administered by Recruiting NCOs.

A basic medical should be done at the CFRC when the applicant walks in the door - this should be done to ensure that people with medical conditions are screened before being thrown into a "Indoc Course" which may be a hazard to their health.  Those who have no medical "hick-ups" should be immediately booked into an Indoc Course, which should probably be a bi-monthly or monthly affair.

In the course of the 3 day indoc course, they will be:
-  Given a thourough medical examination (by a contracted civilian physician if need be)
-  Given a basic PT test to ensure they can move on with the training.
-  Assessed in a detailed interview by the Recruiting Officer
-  Fill out the security clearance form for processing
-  Write the aptitude test
-  Be run through a battery of exercises and drill by NCOs to "acclimate" them to military discipline and the demands of a soldier.
-  Be run through a series of lectures on career options, military life, pay, admin, what to expect, etc, etc.

Those who successfully navigate the 3 day "Indoc Course" will be issued a pair of boots to break in and be told when to expect to move onto St. Jean for BMQ (and thus offered a contract) - the onus is now on the training system to sort itself out and handle the influx of processed recruits.  While the recruit is waiting to leave, the detailed background check is being processed -  in the contract would be a condition allows the military an "out" if a potential recruit's background check fails.

Those who fail any aspect will be given the necessary advice on where to improve on and be booked for another "Indoc Course" a few months down the road.  Some will not like the 3-day military experience and simply decline to move on - thus the recruiting end has done its part in screening applicants and saving the training system from having to deal with duds.

Like a Reserve Weekend BMQ, this can probably be run out of a high school gym if necessary (using the field for training), allowing for flexibility in roving recruiting teams to hold "Indoc Courses".  The advantage of using this is that it does a "screens" applicant and groups all their requirements for processing into a single 3 day period.  The CFRC has then done its part of the deal, and it is now the Training systems duty to deal with whatever influx the CFRC gives them (which is another problem and thread altogether).

The process shouldn't take more then a month to complete from the time a recruit walks into a door to the time that he is deemed suitable to be loaded onto a basic training course.

Here is a page explaining the Potential Royal Marine Course that the RM recruiters use:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2654.html
Good stuff, Infanteer. I would add a few more occupational related tests as well, to test beyond Grade 10 and basic English/pattern recognization (not necessarily for Pass or Fail, but to be more accurate in choosing amongst the 10:1). Also, I think something needs to be done with regards to the Privacy Act. Paying one government department to get some paper (ie. transcripts) to give to the CF when they're just going to verify it anyways on the backend, seems redundant. A pipeline should be opened.

Recruiting isn't the first thing that needs to be tackled in the Canadian Military.

(1) The first and foremost problem is to keep the already trained soldiers in the Military if for no other reason then to train new recruits.

(2) This will only be accomplished by making the Soldier on the ground feel important and appreciated.

(3) A serving Soldier must never feel that if he is hurt that he becomes a throw away, no longer useful and we will try and jip you out of a pension person.

(4) Canada has to beef up its Infantry to a point that it can do the job that the Government of Canada has set out for it, and to the point where a soldier can still have a personal life.

(5) Canada must be able to Transport and equip their own troops at any given time to anywhere that they are sent.

(6) Canadian troops need the best equipment that is available and not hand me downs. Training is great but having the right tool for the job is preferred.

(7) Salaries must reflect the job. You can't expect soldiers to like being at shot at for less then a truck driver is paid.

Once you have the troops happy you can then start with a recruiting program.

(1) Recruiting offices should start to do their jobs. I called one only to get an answering machine to call some one else. When I did I got another message to call the first one.

(2) Maybe make the serving soldier look better with some glitz, medals and so on. I know that that seems like window dressing, but have you ever looked at a house with no curtains or without a paint job?

(3) Incentives to join such as a college scholarship after 5 years of regular service, and promotion to Officer after college with no loss of time served.

(4) Better benefits. Let's face it here in Canada there are no discounts for Regular Military personal, as in many other countries. Air and train fairs as an example.

Well, enough said there are plenty of ways to up the Military count.

ADM HR(Mil) motto - "Look after our people, invest in them and give them confidence in the future."

Not exactly a highly motivating mission/vision statement.  You would think these three issues would be implicit in serving your country.

There is a new campaign to encourage soldiers who have served 48 months to consider the opportunity challenges associated with changing jobs - is better than to re-train than lose people.  I think so, however, wherewhen do you draw the line? 

Back