• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

mariomike said:
Sapplicant, drunks do go to the drunk tank - Detox Centre, if one is available. If they are mobile and medically stable, that is where they go. If not, they go to a hospital. That is a decision that is made by police and EMS on scene.

Thank you mariomike. I've been responsible enough to never end up at one of those, so I didn't know how the process worked. I learn something new today  :D

You are absolutely unqualified to make any assumptions about why a "wet hostals" were created. Its so I dont have to pull another dead body out from under a bridge because they were too drunk for the other shelters. SO that old people dont die, as often, in ER's filled with homeless people sleeping it off. So police stations have criminals in them and not people that need somewhere to sleep.

Go and google costs associated with the police operations, hospital and medical operations and the cost for a shelter for drunks.

It saves you money. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the average street person isnt going to go for the wheel barrel idea. I wish they would, hell I even agree it should be available for people who want it. But the drunks I deal with, that I pawn off onto the paramedics, are substance dependant seniors, with diseases, and mental health issues. They dont want to be saved- they dont understand being saved. They want to sleep somewhere warm and get screwed up like they did today. Thats the extent of their grand plans.

Should the tax payer fund their trips to alcohol town? Hell no. But we fund them anyways through the operating costs of our emergency services. So create a place that dirt cheap for them to go and carry on their desperate life that they refuse to change. When Canadians start stepping over homeless people in the streets because cops, and medics, and RN's and doctors, dont feel like helping them because it costs too much I hope Im long dead. It doesnt even make sense from a dollar and cents point of view. Forget treating people well. For your wallet it doesnt make sense.

As an aside- I vote "AYE" to the Sapplicant Wheel Barrel Initiative. It should be applied to all sorts of people- including the unemployment recipients. Here's your gloves and hard hat. Show up second day for your shift (because on opposite days you look for a job that doesnt suck!) and cheques are on Monday's!

Container said:
You are absolutely unqualified to make any assumptions about why a "wet hostals" were created. Its so I dont have to pull another dead body out from under a bridge because they were too drunk for the other shelters. SO that old people dont die, as often, in ER's filled with homeless people sleeping it off. So police stations have criminals in them and not people that need somewhere to sleep.

Go and google costs associated with the police operations, hospital and medical operations and the cost for a shelter for drunks.

It saves you money. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the average street person isnt going to go for the wheel barrel idea. I wish they would, hell I even agree it should be available for people who want it. But the drunks I deal with, that I pawn off onto the paramedics, are substance dependant seniors, with diseases, and mental health issues. They dont want to be saved- they dont understand being saved. They want to sleep somewhere warm and get screwed up like they did today. Thats the extent of their grand plans.

Should the tax payer fund their trips to alcohol town? Hell no. But we fund them anyways through the operating costs of our emergency services. So create a place that dirt cheap for them to go and carry on their desperate life that they refuse to change. When Canadians start stepping over homeless people in the streets because cops, and medics, and RN's and doctors, dont feel like helping them because it costs too much I hope Im long dead. It doesnt even make sense from a dollar and cents point of view. Forget treating people well. For your wallet it doesnt make sense.

You're getting to them after their first fix of the day. Go boot one awake, tell him your his guardian angel, and take him to the ditch that needs digging. A ditch far out of any city [source of substances]. Tell him to sweat it out. I've seen them early in the morning, when they're still sober and desperate to be saved. Believe me, more can, and MUST, be done than wet hostels. 

Sapplicant said:
Ccw, ccw, CCW. Allow the good citizens who are vigilant to be good citizens who are vigilantes. If I were to see a little old lady being mugged by some scumbag, I ought to be able to put a pistol to his head and march the guilty ******* down to the local precinct.

If you were to see?  How often does it happen now that you don't carry a concealed firearm? What makes you think some scumbag is going to attempt such a thing in front of you, whether or not you might be armed?  Arming you, and whoever else thinks they're going to be a vigilante hero, isn't going to make the addicts' urges to commit crimes go away.

So, now you want me to choose between these options for my tax dollars?

a. The costs of the crimes committed by addicts.
b. The cost of providing addicts with drugs/alcohol/whatever in order to reduce their criminal activities driven by addiction. This at least gets them through a Government controlled door that can also lead to treatment.
c. Your manslaughter charge when you gun down some addict for trying to steal a purse.

Personally, I don't like any of them, but if nothing will cure all the addicts and make the problem go away, I'll choose the one that hits my taxpayer's wallet the least.

GAP said:
Manitoba restricts sale of the stuff (hair spray, lysol, etc)...has to be behind the counter

That policy hasn't exactly cut down on grafitti in the areas where minors can't buy spray paint or paint pens.

Ugh, sorry folks, I just realize I contributed inadvertently to this thread getting oh so serious.

I apologize, and humbly submit:

Former Ottawa gang member would prefer life in Canadian prison to deportation to Somalia

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Former+Ottawa+gang+member+would+prefer+life+Canadian+prison+deportation+Somalia/3983362/story.html#ixzz18WxaRadU

Picked deportation over indefinite detention by CBSA pending. Fair enough. Got dropped in Mogadishu with a fare-thee-well.

Quid pro quo.  ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
That policy hasn't exactly cut down on grafitti in the areas where minors can't buy spray paint or paint pens.

I never said any of them worked, just that they were there.....remember, this is an Nanny State NDP government

Mixing booze with energy drinks could be dangerous, study says

A recent study conducted by researchers at Dalhousie University in Halifax found that students who mixed alcohol with energy drinks nearly doubled their alcohol intake, reports the CBC.

Researchers in the departments of psychology and psychiatry interviewed 72 university students about their drinking habits, and found that when they mixed alcohol with energy drinks, they consumed around eight cocktails—nearly twice as many as when energy drinks were not involved.

"That’s actually a pretty profound increase," says Dr. Sean Barrett, associate professor of psychology and psychiatry at Dalhousie, in a news release. "But it’s consistent with our other research where we see an increase in alcohol consumption related to the use of other stimulant drugs, like tobacco... When people drink with energy drinks, they tend to drink in a more hazardous way."

Apart from increasing alcohol consumption (and therefore putting yourself at risk for alcohol poisoning), researchers have previously warned that mixing alcohol, which is a depressant, with a powerful stimulant such as energy drinks, can lead to serious health complications including cardiovascular failure. And I don't know about you, but I don't think any night out on the town is worth having a heart attack over.

More at link

I can't believe that anyone ever thought mixing booze and energy drinks could be safe.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I can't believe that anyone ever thought mixing booze and energy drinks could be safe.  ::)

Are you kidding me? The only way to be as awesome as this guy is through Jagerbombs. Jagerbombs. Jagerbombs. What's there to lose? I'll tell you what; p***y. That's what you got to lose. Jagerbombs!

;D

Sapplicant said:
Are you kidding me? The only way to be as awesome as this guy is through Jagerbombs. Jagerbombs. Jagerbombs. What's there to lose? I'll tell you what, p***y. That's what you got to lose. Jagerbombs!

;D

Yep, just proves my point.  ::)

"So what if the sea container doesn't get in to High level until noon on Wednesday?  Still gives you three days to get it unloaded, equipment positioned, and drive home" (9 hours).

one of the supervisiors at work told me the main rule last night.  Do the job with safety  in mind and come back to the office unhurt . I asked him how I was suppose to work safe withblading tires and so on.......he told me that  just adds to the challenge of working safe and being accident free

Sapplicant said:
You're getting to them after their first fix of the day. Go boot one awake, tell him your his guardian angel, and take him to the ditch that needs digging. A ditch far out of any city [source of substances]. Tell him to sweat it out. I've seen them early in the morning, when they're still sober and desperate to be saved. Believe me, more can, and MUST, be done than wet hostels.

:2c:  Not that easy as 'sweat it out' and a person can die from alcohol withdrawl syndrome if not going through a medically controlled detoxification.  Agree with your intent of doing more.  First responders are legally responsible for the physical/mental (hence the form system) wellbeing of the individual should they take them into custody and to ensure they are taken to the right facility.  Cheers. 

PMedMoe said:
Sadly, yes - one of the more popular combos now even has a Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4gerbomb
Loved this bit if true:
.... The popularity of Jägerbombs in Australia has caused much controversy.

Manly Council and Newcastle Council have banned Jägerbombs from pubs and nightclubs on the basis that they encourage binge drinking and irresponsible behavior.[9] During the Schoolies Week period on the Victorian Surf Coast, Jägerbombs were banned in many pubs. The sale of Red Bull was also limited to four cans per person per day to reduce the consumption of Jägerbombs ....
At my fave watering hole, I'm happy to take a shot of Jägermeister if someone's buying a round, but I'm also happy to pass on the Red Bull....

Dumbest convo ever...

Kids in class "So what the hell is a telegraph?"
Me to teacher "Can you please explain what a telegraph is for the benefit of the student population?" (Heavy sarcasm, and yes I do know what a telegraph is!)
Teacher to class "Guys, listen up! _____'s going to tell you what a telegraph is!" (Yelling stops)
(Crickets, squeaking chairs)
I explain....
Kids: "Oh! Kinda like that Marconi dude, eh?! That's the little thing gives off noises and stuff with the leaver!"
Me (I had taken five minutes explaining) Uhh... Yeah... *Insert eyeroll*.

I swear certian people in my class are total Eejets... :salute:

RememberanceDay said:
Dumbest convo ever...

Kids in class "So what the hell is a telegraph?"
Me to teacher "Can you please explain what a telegraph is for the benefit of the student population?" (Heavy sarcasm, and yes I do know what a telegraph is!)
Teacher to class "Guys, listen up! _____'s going to tell you what a telegraph is!" (Yelling stops)
(Crickets, squeaking chairs)
I explain....
Kids: "Oh! Kinda like that Marconi dude, eh?! That's the little thing gives off noises and stuff with the leaver!"
Me (I had taken five minutes explaining) Uhh... Yeah... *Insert eyeroll*.

I swear certian people in my class are total Eejets... :salute:

Don't you mean idjuts? Trust me, it doesn't get much better as you get older.

Hmmm....I know lots of guys who can relate to this.....

Man dumps wife for being a demon
By NILUKSI KOSWANAGE, Reuters
Article Link

KUALA LUMPUR - A Malaysian man abandoned his wife after a temple medium convinced him that she was a demon who wanted to kill him.

The Star newspaper on Thursday quoted the wife, who gave her name as Loh, as saying that her factory manager husband now wants a divorce and also refuses to meet their two teenage children for fear his wife will use them to kill him.

"The medium told my husband I had been casting spells on him for the past 15 years," Loh was quoted as telling a news conference in Kuala Lumpur.

"He refused to eat or drink at home because he thought I poisoned the food."

Loh said the medium was heavily in debt and likely taking advantage of her husband, who had withdrawn their childrens' savings before deserting the family.
More on link

So found this on reddit today, :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQML3zhJ6s&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-aPB9eZXM&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iPODf3sI3M&feature=related

Back