• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Sapplicant said:
A little bird told me that Michael Moore was planning an expose (can't find the e with the acute accent. so sue me) about the greedy underbelly of the legal system, but it was axed when they estimated the ensuing lawsuits could exceed the GDP of 80% of the UN. Apparently it would have been called The Good Old (s)U(e) $ of A.

Alt 130 = é
Alt 131 = â
Alt 133 = à
Alt 135 = ç
Alt 136 = ê
Alt 138 = è

G2G now :)

Article Link (Highlights mine)

Even though they could under the Criminal Code, Ottawa police, unbelievably, are not charging a couple with the stunningly irresponsible act of leaving their infant alone in a vehicle Saturday for almost an hour in a humid, sweltering temperature of 30C while they were shopping at an air-conditioned Home Depot.

How the hell could they not have known better?

Not that first-time parents is any excuse, but they aren’t. They have several children.

How the hell can they not be charged by the police, one of whom saw the infant in the vehicle, broke the window, after which the infant was rushed to hospital by paramedics, and — luckily — found to be in stable condition.

The 30C temperature was outside.

Ottawa police spokesman, Const. Henri Lanctot, said charges weren’t laid because there was “no evidence the parents were negligent.”

WOT? Run that by me again. They knowingly left their one-month old baby locked alone in their sealed vehicle for almost an hour in at least 30C temperature, the baby saved from possible death only by an observant cop, and this doesn’t constitute NEGLIGENCE?

What’s it constitute — responsible baby-sitting by an inanimate object?

Unfrikkenbelievable.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Article Link (Highlights mine)

Unfrikkenbelievable.  ::)
The bad news:  the Criminal Code says this:
.... 221. Every one who by criminal negligence causes bodily harm to another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years ....
The good news (I hope):  child protection folks may be able to get involved even if things don't meet the criminal threshold.

milnews.ca said:
The bad news:  the Criminal Code says this

I'll give you that one, but what about this:

Every one is criminally negligent who

(a) in doing anything, or

(b) in omitting to do anything that it is his duty to do, <--- For the purposes of this section, “duty” means a duty imposed by law

shows wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons.

This was being discussed on Lowell Green's program this morning on CFRA. His last caller was the Ottawa Police Superintendant in charge of criminal investigations, who stated contrary to the story, the investigation was still underway, and no decision not to lay charges (or to lay charges) had yet been made.

PMedMoe said:
I'll give you that one, but what about this:

Every one is criminally negligent who

(a) in doing anything, or

(b) in omitting to do anything that it is his duty to do, <--- For the purposes of this section, “duty” means a duty imposed by law

shows wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons.
All that's true, but if we believe the column*, if the kid was "stable", that suggests to me no harm was done. 

Sucks, but being "criminally negligent" seems to be only criminal if someone dies or is harmed.  Have to agree with you on the WTF'edness there.....  :(  Like I said, let's hope child protection folks cast an eye that way.

* - we don't know what info was left out of the column.

Old Sweat said:
This was being discussed on Lowell Green's program this morning on CFRA. His last caller was the Ottawa Police Superintendant in charge of criminal investigations, who stated contrary to the story, the investigation was still underway, and no decision not to lay charges (or to lay charges) had yet been made.
Good to hear - thanks for that.  We can still keep our fingers crossed, then.

Not what I've heard so much as what I have observed the past few years, as follows:

Celebrity worship - many of them should be in jail. Justin Timberlake as an example - if we (any man on here) ripped the top off any woman we'd be in jail. (Strike would kick us in the head) But because he's a "Back Street Boy" he's allowed to get away with it and now is revered. Give me a break.

Simplistic "gangster" terms to denote parenting - not mother or father anymore - its "Baby mama" or "baby daddy" - and the MSM perpetuates it.

While we're at it - celebrating the "gangster" lifestyle. I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. White kids (and some adults) from the suburbs wearing those stupid hats and wearing a ton of "bling".

Rant ends.

Out

Rural Alberta farm kids so white they're almost transparent with their backward hats and pants on the ground using phrases like "waddup homey" and "tru dat", driving around in their low rider Honda Civics with the wing on the back and a $50 cherrybomb muffler.  They sure get angry when a 50 year old man with a crew cut points and laughs at them.

Jim Seggie said:
.... Justin Timberlake as an example - if we (any man on here) ripped the top off any woman we'd be in jail. (Strike would kick us in the head) ....
If you're lucky, it'll be a kick to the head....  ;)

Seriously, though, maybe this can be brought up during some pre-supper conversation at the Marine Corps Ball Justin's apparently attending.

Kat Stevens said:
Rural alberta farm kids so white they're almost transparent with their backward hats and pants on the ground using phrases like "waddup homey" and "tru dat", driving around in their low rider Honda Civics with the wing on the back and a $50 cherrybomb muffler.  They sure get angry when a 50 year old man with a crew cut points and laughs at them.

Wait for it! A 68 Plymouth Barracuda S Model Sport Coupe with a 360 CI engine, pushing 400 hp, driven by either me or my teeny wife.....and pulling up beside the Cherry Bomb monsters....LOL
Hey wat up homey??

Now I love my mother very much, but sometimes the things she says are just... Well you be the judge..

I called her earlier today and told her that my sister would be arriving at the airport at 16:00 and needed picking up. She asked me what time it was in "real time" and I replied 4. She then asked me whether that was am or pm.  :facepalm:

I did take the time to explain the purpose of the 24 hour clock was to eliminate any confusion regarding am or pm, but wow lol

Kat Stevens said:
Rural Alberta farm kids so white they're almost transparent with their backward hats and pants on the ground using phrases like "waddup homey" and "tru dat", driving around in their low rider Honda Civics with the wing on the back and a $50 cherrybomb FARTCAN muffler.  They sure get angry when a 50 year old man with a crew cut points and laughs at them.

TFTFY ;)

I hope that asshat isn't from around where I'm going...I might end up having to get myself and the public health nurse to go and teach sex ed.

MM

Don't worry. He'll be in Stony learning all about anal sex.

ModlrMike said:
Don't worry. He'll be in Stony learning all about anal sex.

No doubt there, lol.  My worry is that there are dumb folks out there...just wondering if my new first screening question for infertility is going to have to be "And what hole are you using?"

To quote Pauly Shore from the movie Son in Law - "Innnnnnbreeeeeeder"

MM

Kat Stevens said:

There Fixed That For You

You wrote cherrybombs, a classic hot rod exhaust.

I inserted FARTCANS, which is what we call (at least around here) those horrible sounding 120 ounce chrome juice cans, hanging off the ass end of those underpowered 4 cylinder oriental cars.

Back