• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act:

Looking for Body Part Donors

Cannibal Restaurant Has Berliners Disgusted

08/26/2010
SPIEGEL ONLINE

LINK

A restaurant soon to open in Berlin has disgusted residents of the German capital by hinting that human flesh will be on the menu and asking for people to donate body parts. Local politicians are not amused and believe it is a tasteless PR stunt.

What in the world is Wari cuisine? It is a question that many in Berlin have been asking themselves lately after a number of ads have appeared in local papers promoting a mysterious new restaurant. The future location of the eatery is secret for the time being, but the menu has raised eyebrows. Indeed, the restaurant's website is requesting donations -- of human body parts.

"Donors wanted! Become a member today!" reads an announcement on the website. On the menu page, the restaurant, called Flimé, is careful only to indicate "meat" without giving away what kind -- surely an effort to keep the ruse going. Those who want to become members must submit a form complete with responses about health and exercise habits.

"After the medical check, you can decide which body part you want to donate!" the website says. The form tells prospective members that "Flimé only covers the costs for hospitalization.... The designated use of the donated body part is free to Flimé." The German version of the website is also advertising for a job opening for an "open-minded surgeon."

'A Misguided Joke'

The claims of cannibalism seem a transparent marketing ploy ahead of the restaurant's opening at the beginning of September. In a conversation with SPIEGEL ONLINE, a restaurant spokesman insisted unconvincingly that the project was not a hoax.

But complaints about the website have begun reaching Berlin politicians in recent days. Michael Braun, deputy floor leader for the conservative Christian Democrats in the Berlin state parliament, told the tabloid Bild that he had received several e-mails about the restaurant in recent days.

"I am assuming it is a misguided joke. But it is disgusting," he said. "In particular because a resident of Berlin was murdered by a cannibal not too long ago." He was presumably referring to Armin Meiwes, who was sentenced to life in prison in 2006 for killing and eating a willing Berlin resident five years previously. Bild itself described the website as a "tasteless publicity stunt."

The restaurant's claim of serving "Wari cuisine" is a reference to the Waricaca people, an indigenous tribe in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, perhaps accounting for Flimé's website also being available in Portuguese. Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the early 20th century, which decimated the Wari population, the tribe engaged in ritual cannibalization of enemies killed in battle.

cgh

LINK

milnews.ca said:
How unlike this move, right?

McGuinty is pulling up pocket lint. Someone's gotta pay for that billion dollar tunnel here in Ottawa after all, and that 13 billion dollars worth of "green" energy.

Something my mother said yesterday at a cottage made me chuckle.

She proposed that we have figure out a day to celebrate everyone's birthdays at once.

Her rationale was "Well...everyone's got a birthday this year" 

That reminds me of smething I said to my Mother around 30 years ago, maybe 35 years ago.

Me "Mommy, why can't I get a birthday gift like (insert name)?"

Armyrick's Mom "Because your birthday is not until August and its only May"

Me "Well then I want a new birthday!"

I can just imagine a lil kid with puppy eyes  :'( saying that, very cute.

leaving to go to walmart today, my girlfriend says to me, I won't take an umbrella, the weather channel says only 20percent chance of rain, (it was pouring at the time of this statement) so I replied, I will take two then, as God is in disagreement with the weatherchannel, I looked out the window. dah.

When my 14 year old finally decided to come home (again) at 0130 this am, after being questioned why he didn't come home on THURSDAY as directed: "I was witness to someone stealing my friend's shit"...funny, the RCMP didn't mention this when I reported him missing Friday morning.  I guess being a good citizen trumps real responsibility (he also conveniently missed his addictions counsellor appointment and was in fact grounded). 

MM

On call for the campus medical team the other night and switched the other radio to the Campus Police channel to discover they were chasing an individual who was harassing residence students.  The physical description was as follows "Individual is a white male, late teens, wearing dark clothes with a shaved head and has blonde hair"

Shaved, hair?

Nope Either Algonquin, Carleton, or uOttawa.  As someone has pm'd me and already discovered.  :salute:

Oh very possible and would make a lot of sense, now I feel like a candidate for the dumbest thing heard today for having not considered that.

While manning Camp Canada at the airshow at shearwater yesterday as the Snowbirds were doing their show

'There's way to much of a military presence here'

Run that one through the logi mill

Aussies sue feds over grizzly attack

CALGARY - Federal officials are to blame for a grizzly attack which saw two Australian tourists badly mauled 15 years ago, a lawyer said Monday.

Mark Freeman, who represents Aussies Andrew Brodie and Owen Hereford, told court Banff National Park staff failed to warn campers about the potential danger.

Both Brodie and Hereford testified about their Sept. 25, 1995, ordeal in which a grizzly tore apart their tent and attacked the two men near Lake Louise, Alta.

More at link

Geez, maybe you guys just shouldn't have been camping in Banff........  ::)  Do they really think that a verbal warning would have prevented the bear from attacking them?

I'm sure there's signs like this all over the park:

250198421_63d61fa0f3.jpg

What is is with Aussies and bears?  When I was up on Broughton Island a number of years ago, an Aussie hiker on Baffin Island was stalked by a polar bear for a week through the National Park there...do you think this is just Darwin's theory at it's greatest or do Aussies just smell nice to bears?

MM

Back