• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

ehhhh.....humans like exotic food, why not bears..... ;D

Schools should be open to cellphones in class: McGuinty

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says school boards should be open to the idea of allowing students to use cellphones in the classroom.

Mr. McGuinty, who won't even let his ministers have cellphones during cabinet meetings, says he understands they can be a major distraction.

But the premier says there is a “right way” to use them in class.

Teachers can use cellphones to show students how to access information online, for example.

More at link

Hey, McSquinty!  Ever heard of a computer?  ::)

PMedMoe said:
....But the premier says there is a “right way” to use them in class.

Teachers can use cellphones to show students how to access information online, for example.

More at link

Hey, McSquinty!  Ever heard of a computer?  ::)
Yeah, but who pays for getting a computer for every student (vs. who pays for the cell phone)?  ;)

What a dumb thing.  Now, technology in a classroom, awesome.  But students using their own?  I can see the Facebook updates now.  "Goofus teechr is trying to teech me to reed.  Duh!  I no how to reed.  WTF"

Kids already can't pay attention in school. If they want internet in the class, get laptops. Cell phones are just going to be the digital way of passing notes.

IMO, whether the student wants to learn or not is their choice. In my school, you can use cell phones, iPods as long as they don't disturb any other students. If people choice to text instead of paying attention, it's their education they're not getting.

:2c:

So.
I'm walking with my girlfriend in the Scotiabank AIDS Walk this evening and we come to our final destination, standing in front of the legislative building here in Victoria.

Some of the organizers are giving short thank yous and speeches, as people start to crowd around and see what's going on. We break apart, people are shaking hands and such, and this girl walks up handing out newspapers independent conspiracy zines (better known as free TP). She goes to hand one to me, but I decline, saying I had already gotten one at university today from her - and I had, except once I saw what it was, it went right into the trash because it was a bunch of anti-military conspiracy theories (the front page 'story' was on secret military weapons that induce psychosis).

She asks how I liked it, and I just shrugged off the question and went to walk away. But no. We couldn't leave it at that.

"Did you know the military now has weapons that can give people AIDS?"

Yes. She said that, at an AIDS walk to raise funds for local individuals afflicted with HIV/AIDS. The rest of the conversation went something like this...

"No, but I don't want to talk about that. Especially as I plan on joining the military."
*Insert her look of extreme surprise and genuine fear, like Satan just ripped open a crack in the ground and stared her down*
"Oh, that's a concern!"
"They do good things."
"NO, THEY DON'T! THEY DAMN WELL DON'T! (blah blah something about murderers and me being a horrible person as I walked away)"

I'm not even in the Forces yet and I'm already practically being spit on by wackos. Looking forward to a long career of having lots of people support you, and the bunch that hate your guts for whatever crackpot reason they read on the internet.

a.schamb said:
If people choice to text instead of paying attention, it's their education they're not getting.
Can't disagree with you there, my friend.

milnews.ca said:
Can't disagree with you there, my friend.
  ;)

My concern about cell phones in class wouldn't be about texting.  It would be about the potential for students to cheat.  It's not required, turn it off and leave it in your backpack.  If you can't go a 40-50 minute period without having to text "OMG!" to your BFF, then perhaps you should just quit school and go get a McJob.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
  ;)

My concern about cell phones in class wouldn't be about texting.  It would be about the potential for students to cheat.  It's not required, turn it off and leave it in your backpack.  If you can't go a 40-50 minute period without having to text "OMG!" to your BFF, then perhaps you should just quit school and go get a McJob.  ::)

Too bad the Premier of Ontario does not agree with you Moe, http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Cells+classrooms+McGuinty+says/3531923/story.html

dangerboy said:
Too bad the Premier of Ontario does not agree with you Moe

Uh, yeah, if you go back a page, you'll see that's what I already posted.  ;)

hold_fast said:
I'm not even in the Forces yet and I'm already practically being spit on by wackos. Looking forward to a long career of having lots of people support you, and the bunch that hate your guts for whatever crackpot reason they read on the internet.

People like that are all over the place; they're especially common in BC somehow as well as any university. 

They're just stupid/don't really know anything.  You should continue to ignore people like that and their delusions.

Some of that was pretty funny though.

You can't reason with people like that.  The best you can hope for is that someday they will be working with some NGO when they discover that, no, people can't just get a long.  After some military folks have risked their lives to save her sorry butt, then maybe, just maybe she will realize that there are a lot of bad people out there, but we're not them.

" I need a volunteer to fill in a PA position at CFRC Sudbury"...

The only thing that would make me do that is if "FOB Doc" Ray Wiss offered me a job at the ED there...and then they'd still be looking for a volunteer  ;D

MM

Pusser said:
You can't reason with people like that.  The best you can hope for is that someday they will be working with some NGO when they discover that, no, people can't just get a long.  After some military folks have risked their lives to save her sorry butt, then maybe, just maybe she will realize that there are a lot of bad people out there, but we're not them.

I sincerely hope no NGO would work with a crackpot like her  :-\

Back