• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Had dinner with my brother-in-law. He's a doctor, well educated, worked in the US and Canada, is in his mid-40s  and has raised two kids. Alberta based.

During conversation I mentioned something about WW2. He said 'when was that?'. I kind of paused, thinking he's winding me up, but no, he has no idea about either WW1 or WW2, or any other conflict. Nothing, nada, zip. He knew I had served in Northern Ireland with the British Army but had zero idea about that conflict either beyond it being in Ireland and having something to do with the Catholics and Protestants.

He had heard a bit about the Holocaust, but had no idea if that was a 20 years ago or at the start of the last century. Really.

I was struck dumb. Here's a guy who treated gunshot victims at Cook County hospital, is a recognized leader in his field in the area of poison control and emergency medicine, at one time seriously considered joining the CF (to get them to pay for his medical schooling of course), who traveled to Aceh province to help out after the tsunami, and he has no idea about just about anything outside of his relatively narrow professional interests.

His, grown adult, kids are equally clueless about this stuff.

Arrrggg.....  :eek:

daftandbarmy said:
Had dinner with my brother-in-law. He's a doctor, well educated, worked in the US and Canada, is in his mid-40s  and has raised two kids. Alberta based.

During conversation I mentioned something about WW2. He said 'when was that?'. I kind of paused, thinking he's winding me up, but no, he has no idea about either WW1 or WW2, or any other conflict. Nothing, nada, zip. He knew I had served in Northern Ireland with the British Army but had zero idea about that conflict either beyond it being in Ireland and having something to do with the Catholics and Protestants.

He had heard a bit about the Holocaust, but had no idea if that was a 20 years ago or at the start of the last century. Really.

I was struck dumb. Here's a guy who treated gunshot victims at Cook County hospital, is a recognized leader in his field in the area of poison control and emergency medicine, at one time seriously considered joining the CF (to get them to pay for his medical schooling of course), who traveled to Aceh province to help out after the tsunami, and he has no idea about just about anything outside of his relatively narrow professional interests.

So smart, they are stupid.  Not quite the Dunning-Kruger Effect though.

Before my VAC-CF double life, I taught school.

One year, as Remembrance Day approached, I realized there was no curriculum for Grade 7 for Canadian Military History. Nada. Zip.

The students thought it was all for a war fought a bazillion years ago. So, I spent a week teaching, from scratch, the First World War, so they'd have a basic understanding of the importance of Remembrance.

When I mentioned it to my fellow Social Studies colleague, her response was, "You mean there was a First World War?"

I found it funny that you think we believe PEI has a Grade 7.  >:D ;D

daftandbarmy said:

"Auntie Cheye, what are Nazis?"

I don't think I have ever been as excited as when my nieces started asking me questions about the World Wars. Not just because I studied Military History but because I rubbed off on them and they cared enough to learn. So important for kids to learn about this stuff...I always try to throw some tidbits in there when I'm around them all,  ;)

Colin P said:
that would be a First Baby

for 2nd baby

Soother hits floor, parents washes it off

for 3rd baby
Soother hits floor, parents wipes it off

for 4th baby
Soother hits floor, parents sticks it back in mouth

for 5th baby
Parent does not notice soother has fallen out and kid wailing, parent is pleased that trip to the mall is completed with the correct number of kids coming home, parent is even happier all kids are actually theirs and they didn't accidentally switch kids along the way..

I have heard my parents say this so many times :rofl:

Not dumbest really but definitely funniest:

"I have a prediction: it will be Scandinavia vs North America for Gold." :p

"President Yanukovych has been made illegitimate. It's very worrying, especially because Russia lost in hockey, they'll be in a bad mood. We fear Russia's involvement in Ukraine," Trudeau said.

"Just because of hockey?" asked Guy Lepage, the show's host.

"No. That's trying to bring a light view in a situation that's extremely serious," Trudeau said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-under-fire-for-ukraine-joke-1.2549392

:facepalm:

McDonald's customer files 1.5 million dollar lawsuit over napkin dispute

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2014/03/20140301-151354.html

SUN NEWS NETWORK

A McDonald's customer has filed a 1.5 MILLION dollar lawsuit against the fast food behemoth for 'undue mental anguish' after he only received one napkin with his order.
TMZ reports that Webster Lucas claims he was scammed out of extra napkins. When he asked for more, the manager of the California McDonald's insisted he already had some.

Lucas claims the Mexican manager was racist when he used a "you people" remark.

In an email to the General Manager, Lucas insists he is "unable to work because of the undue mental anguish and the intentional infliction of emotional distress caused by your employee."

And what makes this even dumber is that they have napkin dispensers at separate station.

Hopefully the judge just looks at the complainant and the legal team and puts the big capital hockey stick to his forehead, slams the gavel down and tells him to pay the respondent's lawyer and the court...

MM

Jim Seggie said:
They should be told politely to frig off.....soldiers died so you could spout the BS you spout. Be offended.....we don't frickin care.

Actually, we do frickin care and are offended that these numpties should even contemplate to suggest such ignorant desires to tear down a memorial cross.

Today's youth need to get over themselves and their sense of entitlement.

:facepalm:

Teen Sues Parents, Claiming They Owe Her Money For College

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/04/285887838/teen-sues-parents-claiming-they-owe-her-money-for-college

A judge held an unusual hearing in New Jersey on Tuesday: a lawsuit brought by an 18-year-old who says her parents kicked her out of their house. Rachel Canning is seeking to force her parents to give her financial support and money for college, in addition to pay for tuition at her private school.

Superior Court Family Division Judge Peter Bogaard, who heard the case in Morristown, N.J., on Tuesday afternoon, denied Canning's requests in what's seen as the first round of hearings in the case.

"All requests by plaintiff for emergent relief at this point are denied," tweeted Michael Izzo of the Daily Record, which was apparently the first news outlet to report the news of the lawsuit.

The judge set a date of April 22 for a hearing to consider other issues in the case, such as Canning's legal status, the Daily Record reports.

In discussing the case after nearly two hours of testimony, the judge cited an email from Canning to her parents in which she said, "I'm my biggest enemy ... And do realize that a change has to be made," Izzo says.

Bogaard also "noted that Rachel Canning's behavior over the past year has been in question," reports CBS 2 TV: "one or two school suspensions, drinking, losing her captaincy on the cheerleading squad and being kicked out of the campus ministry."

The news station says the judge also told the Cannings that they should have tried to get help for their daughter instead of cutting her off.

Bogaard said the question of public policy must be considered, Izzo reported, as the case might set a precedent in which children can flout their parents' rules and then demand money from them.

Court documents filed by Rachel Canning alleged that her parents abandoned her. But her lawsuit stopped short of seeking full emancipation from them – if that connection is removed, her parents would cease to have an obligation toward their daughter.

"We're being sued by our child," Sean Canning told CBS 2's Christine Sloan Monday. "I'm dumbfounded. So is my wife, so are my other daughters."

Rachel Canning, a senior at Morris Catholic High School, is on the honor roll and the cheerleading squad; she plays lacrosse and has a $20,000 scholarship from the University of Vermont, according to multiple reports.

Since leaving her parents' home, Canning has been living with a friend whose father helped her sue, as The Asbury Park Press reports:

"Since the alleged "abandonment" by her parents, Rachel has been living in Rockaway Township with the family of her best friend and fellow student Jaime Inglesino, whose father is attorney and former Morris County Freeholder John Inglesino. Inglesino is funding the lawsuit and hired attorney Helfand, who included in the lawsuit a request that the parents pay their daughter's legal fees that so far total $12,597."

In late December, Canning's parents' attorney wrote a letter stating that the parents would continue to pay for Rachel's health insurance and saying she is entitled to money from a college fund they created, reports the The Star-Ledger.

"I know Rachel is a) a good kid, b) an incredibly rebellious teen, and she's getting some terrible information," Sean Canning told CBS 2.

He told the TV station that his daughter left home in November. The Canning household isn't a strict one, he said, noting that curfew is often after 11 p.m. Several local media outlets have reported that the Cannings did not approve of their daughter's boyfriend, whom the Daily Record has identified as a fellow senior at Morris Catholic.

Tuesday afternoon, Sean and Elizabeth Canning and their daughter came to court to discuss her lawsuit against them. They sat "at opposite ends" of the same table, Fox News' Rick Leventhal tweets. "All look miserable."

For today's hearing, the parents were "required to produce information about their incomes, including their 2011 and 2012 tax returns and their last three pay stubs," reports the The Star-Ledger.

The newspaper adds that Sean Canning currently works as a business administrator for the Township of Mount Olive; Elizabeth Canning is a legal secretary.

An intense discussion of the case is underway at the Asbury Park Press, where the top-rated comment came from a woman warning Rachel Canning that she was putting her future at risk. When people learn about her past, reader Emily Ruman warned, "they will most likely put on you on their 'she was crazy then, she is probably still crazy' list of people that they don't hire, date, befriend or otherwise associate with."

Another comment reiterated a time-honored rule: "If you don't like the rules here, move out."

I was in my local gun store on Saturday looking at a Semi MG34 and wondering if I could slide it past my wife. when I over heard a young Native  who was drooling over a Russian SKS say "I don't need a PAL I have a Status Card."

Comments on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight story on CBC.  So many contenders, but I've chosen a few real winners:

- Could the public help in the search by using Google Earth ( is that name? ). Hasn't that been used before to look for missing planes on land?

- all cellphones have GPS even when turned off. why are they not following GPS tracks of the cell phones of the people on the plane to where they disappear? incompetence?

- Hubble telescope can see galaxies millions of light years away as big as pizza. It surely can see debris in Gulf of Thailand, use it.

Back