• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where do the empty mags go?

UOIC not CQC - the rest is close enough for gov't work.  MarkC posted the definitive history of GunFighter elsewhere here --- maybe he will repost.

Ugh wrong accroym....I meant Urban Ops Instructor but anyway yeah that course there LOL

dan005e said:
In regards to the Gunfighter program, who exactly gets to go through it?

Is it a PPCLI only thing or will it be going to the other two infantry Regiments or will it become an Army-wide type thing?

Just curious as it sounds like a pretty interesting shooting package.
(in an outrageously exagerated franglo accent "mais oui, we have the gunfighter thing in the R22R) :)

HitorMiss said:
Personaly for me when gross motor skills take over I have a mantra....

cocking handle cocking handle cocking handle!!!!!

smashing away at that little button is a waste of time. Now that is under the emergency reload situ, if you have the time might as well not waste a round.

So essentially you carry out a normal cocking motion on the rifle, and it works the same with an empty mag stoppage as the bolt catch? I've only been taught the normal way, but am left handed...so it's awkward to hit the bolt catch. Am I likely to catch flak for using the cocking handle in a reload?

As a Pte (R) you should carry out the drills as taught.

However when you are taught the Gun Fighter program you will learn the drills as I vaguely explained.

FWIW you can argue tactics till your blue in the face - one technique is not necessarily anymore right than another as long as they work -- the same goes with weapons drills.

The idea is to get your rifle/carbine (or pistol whatever) back running as quick as you can - as well as ensuring that you can comminicate to your teammembers you have an "issue" and that your sector is covered while you cannot.

I got asked some comments on the "beer can grip" method
  I took some pics -- sorry they suck
The only time I use this method is reloading from my redimag -- as I find it a lot easier (for me) to use the index method for reloads from my mag pouches.
  GunFighter was teaching beercan -- and I beleive its due to the MP-5 skillset as I beer can with an MP-5 -- but index on the M4/C8

Beer can is very good for push pull insertion
Why call it beer can - well a picture is worth a thousand words
M4Drills001.jpg

Mag pushed up into mag well and locked home
M4Drills002.jpg

Mag pulled down to ensure its locked (note my Gemtech can in the background on my rifle rack)
M4Drills003.jpg

Thumb engages bolt catch
M4Drills004.jpg

Keep in mind I use a redimag (and my M4 is a in-theatre conversion to auto)
M4Drills005.jpg

My IFF flag and closeup of the GemTech HALO
M4Drills006.jpg

in the British Army the DS (Directing Staff) solution is put them back in your ammo pouches. Fine on the ranges, but in reality it is time consuming and sometimes restrictive (plus you get charged for losing a mag!).

In reality you shove any used mags down the front of your smock and hope your webbing belt is done up nice & tight to stop them falling out. Never lost a mag this way.

I-6, what is the purpose of the gem tech halo and what type of sight is that?

Cheers,
Andrew

Putting empty mags down your shirt will not work, you are wearing a frag vest and TV. If you can get a mag in your shirt you are not wearing your frag vest right. What I used outside the wire ( which was the hole 6 months ), Was a dump pouch,my second round in the mag was tracer so after chambering a round on the first mag,you could remove the mag to see if a round was chambered, and my second last round was tracer so I dropped the mag after it, and replaced the mag, NO re cocking,NO F-ing around, fastest way to get more rounds down range.
     You shoud be firing on the range the same way you fight !, AND WITH ALL YOU KIT ON !

Bilton,
I think the rifleman's comments were rather dated.  I know I did exactly as he said... way back when, prior to TVs and balistic plates..  Dump pouches have rightly become the norm.... now if they could just issue one for said purpose.

geo said:
Bilton,
I think the rifleman's comments were rather dated.  I know I did exactly as he said... way back when, prior to TVs and ballistic plates..  Dump pouches have rightly become the norm.... now if they could just issue one for said purpose.
            Geo I know that it was dated, but all the time I was with the Airborne ( 83-88 ) I used the side pockets of my pants.
        I just what to make sure the new guys don't start a bad habit !, and for 40-50 bucks & the time saved might save yours or your buddy's life.

too true my friend.

I found the mags in the cargo pockets would bang around too much.  between the cinch cord at the waist of the shirt and the H harness on the webbing, the mags would sit firmly up top.... wasn't any worse than wearing those old C2 bras ;)

I thought you just dumped them down your shirt if you were in a real pinch for time??

christer said:
I thought you just dumped them down your shirt if you were in a real pinch for time??

Did you not read any of the above posts??  When wearing body armour, etc you can not dump mags down your shirt.

bilton090 said:
 ....my second round in the mag was tracer so after chambering a round on the first mag,you could remove the mag to see if a round was chambered,
Is a press check not simpler?

DirtyDog said:
Is a press check not simpler?

Yes it is.

christer, please do some research to the topic. You just dump them in a pinch.

Regards

I'm curious, could someone please explain what a press check is?

When you have an even number of rounds left in the magazine the top bullet is on the right side of the mag, an uneven number the top bullet is on the left.  After load a mag an than you c*ck your rifle remove the mag an see which one the top bullet is. If the top bullet is on the left side you know you chambered a round.

You can also pull back the cocking handle slightly an look into the chamber.

If you ever get a chance to do the PWT4 Gunfighter program you will be taught this an many other drills.

geo said:
too true my friend.

I found the mags in the cargo pockets would bang around too much.  between the cinch cord at the waist of the shirt and the H harness on the webbing, the mags would sit firmly up top.... wasn't any worse than wearing those old C2 bras ;)

You have a knack for bringing up painful memories.  I was a C2 Gunner a long time ago, in a galaxy far away - naturally I was the smallest guy in my section (and the Sect Comd hated me  ::))  - go figure.

Back