• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

White Supremacist Infiltration of Canadian Forces?

Going back to the late 1980's here, I served with several soldiers from whom you never heard any comments in regard to other soldiers in the battalion who were 'visible minorities'. 

But travel down to the States on exercise and let these same soldiers get a skinful inside of them at the local bar, and you found out very quickly who was bigoted and who was not. 

Like previous postings say, bigots are everywhere not just the CF, but my point is you arent going to find out who they are in offices or on the parade ground.  Most of them are smart enough to keep their opinions to themself while in uniform and on duty.     

It shouldn't be that surprising that the CF would appeal to those who follow a militarist and nationalist ideology.  If they grow their hair out, cover their tattoos, keep their opinions to themselves, and there is no record of their activities, how are recruiters to weed them out?

I'm not sure if the CF can do any more than they do to keep extremists out.  These types will probably find it hard to work in the CF when they have to work cooperatively with "others" to get their work done.

dogger1936 said:
I actually seen the most racist things coming out of NDHQ with stupid things like "Asian" month and my favorite aboriginal month.
:nod:

RangerRay said:
It shouldn't be that surprising that the CF would appeal to those who follow a militarist and nationalist ideology.  If they grow their hair out, cover their tattoos, keep their opinions to themselves, and there is no record of their activities, how are recruiters to weed them out?

I'm not sure if the CF can do any more than they do to keep extremists out.  These types will probably find it hard to work in the CF when they have to work cooperatively with "others" to get their work done.

If they do their job, keep their mouth shut and don't bring attention on themselves in public then why *should* they be weeded out? I know this won't make me popular in saying, and I don't feel it necessary to claim I have a bunch of "minority" friends to show how non-racist I am, but if they're competent people who don't express their opinions in public, why should they be removed? Should we start removing all Christians because they believe that non-Christians will burn in hell? I worked with many people I hated, and did so professionally and without complaining (in public that is).. Someone's opinions, regardless of how we might see them, should have no bearing on someone's employment. If they start spouting off racist catch phrases and treating non-whites differently, then it becomes a problem.

That's exactly what I tell people about the workplace,....you can hate whomever you want for whatever reason you want too, and it's nobodies business, but the moment you treat those people different because of it, then there's a problem.

Great post, Sythen.

I would say that I have seen much more racist behaviour outside of the CF than I have in it or associated with it. The issue is always going to be optics and how the CF are perceived (and how easy it is for media to make this a story when it's the CF vice a chemical cleaning company or whatever)

A couple of years ago a newly minted teacher was overheard making racist remarks. She was suspended and had to undergo sensitivity training but the wrod about it stopped right there. No naming and shaming, no huge articles. If that had been a CF member I think it would have been a five page spread in MacLean's.

Sythen said:
If they do their job, keep their mouth shut and don't bring attention on themselves in public then why *should* they be weeded out? I know this won't make me popular in saying, and I don't feel it necessary to claim I have a bunch of "minority" friends to show how non-racist I am, but if they're competent people who don't express their opinions in public, why should they be removed? Should we start removing all Christians because they believe that non-Christians will burn in hell? I worked with many people I hated, and did so professionally and without complaining (in public that is).. Someone's opinions, regardless of how we might see them, should have no bearing on someone's employment. If they start spouting off racist catch phrases and treating non-whites differently, then it becomes a problem.

Good post. As long as they're not, in fact, reflecting negatively on the organization, then I don't care much. That said, if we know their views, then that means that risk exists, at what point does it get declared a problem?

Redeye said:
Good post. As long as they're not, in fact, reflecting negatively on the organization, then I don't care much. That said, if we know their views, then that means that risk exists, at what point does it get declared a problem?

If we know their views, they aren't keeping their mouths shut about it. If they are in the recruiting process, they can't be allowed in as it seems we support those ideals by letting a "known" in. If they are already in, I am sure a one way conversation with the RSM would sort out him/her opening their mouth/acting unprofessional.

Redeye said:

The problem lies when the supremacists form a critical mass. Think about 18 years ago and what happened.

We all know that xenophobia and hatred are the sole purview of the WASP male, that's why we have to be ever vigilant.  ::)

LineJumper said:
Rhodesian said:
Jim,

What exactly are you referring to with "18 years ago?"

Exactly.

Personnel with " issues" we're posted to Pet with the expectation that "the Airborne" will sort them out.

The ones with " issues" formed a critical mass, and coupled with dubious leadership.....we all see the result.

Jim Seggie said:
The ones with " issues" formed a critical mass, and coupled with dubious leadership.....we all see the result.

collenette.jpg

Personally, I think this and any articles like it are, for the most part, wishful thinking on the part of the so-called MSM.
I think they miss those halcyon days of the mid-nineties where they could bash the living crap out of the CF and have a good chunk of the general population singing the same tune.

Bass ackwards said:
Personally, I think this and any articles like it are, for the most part, wishful thinking on the part of the so-called MSM.
I think they miss those halcyon days of the mid-nineties where they could bash the living crap out of the CF and have a good chunk of the general population singing the same tune.

Hard point to argue, given how far back they have to go to dredge up anything significant!

The problem is people act as though "White Supremacist" are a group when in fact its a belief; therefore yes, they are in the Canadian Forces. Are they the majority, a growing threat? Its hard to say. Having dealt with people of all backgrounds from the armouries to the RC I highly doubt that.

I can't be the only one here who stood on that parade square in 1995 waiting for a jackass MND who lacked the balls to address us, so I know I can't be alone is saying that the army lost a lot more than an outstanding regiment that day.  The fault, as always, lies not with any "critical mass".  The fault lies with leadership and leadership alone. 

As long as the Forces have strong leaders, subversive groups/mentalities will have a VERY difficult time taking root.

Its ALWAYS about the leadership. 

Back