• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Ours was built as a Legion, and remained so for 85 years. These are the before and after pics. I am sure the property increased in value after being sold in 2013.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/72+Durie+St,+Toronto,+ON+M6S+3E8/@43.6485156,-79.4772146,3a,75y,257.41h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDnFyyHENTcZI3s5CZl2ISQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b367d8ab5d963:0xa2c3a455229d2911!8m2!3d43.6484463!4d-79.4775513

Attachments

• swansea_legion1.jpg
    swansea_legion1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 94
The RCL is approaching the Federal government for relief; they fear ten percent of their branches may not survive.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/legions-across-canada-could-close-permanently-asking-feds-to-help-1.4995224

dapaterson said:
The RCL is approaching the Federal government for relief; they fear ten percent of their branches may not survive.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/legions-across-canada-could-close-permanently-asking-feds-to-help-1.4995224

A bit of a cull of barely viable branches might not be a terrible thing. The RCL badly needs to modernize its model, and restore some focus on veterans service delivery. There's are some fantastic branches out there, and some good initiatives underway. And then there are those that epitomize the issues many see with the Legion.

There is soul searching going on within the Legion at high levels, and there's a group of modern vets trying to work in parallel to get some modernization happening, but it may need a real shock to the system to happen.

Maybe this is the shock that can tilt the Legion towards a model like the Returned and Services League (RSL) in Australia.  It's broadly similar but updated, and the clubs are full-fledged bar/restaurants.  In some of the more famous beach towns (specifically the ones on the Gold Coast), the local RSLs are actually good spots for a good meal and drinks at decent prices. 

In those places, if you didn't actually know you were going to the RSL, aside from a sign and letterhead you'd think you were at a normal pub restaurant. 

Brihard said:
A bit of a cull of barely viable branches might not be a terrible thing. The RCL badly needs to modernize its model, and restore some focus on veterans service delivery. There's are some fantastic branches out there, and some good initiatives underway. And then there are those that epitomize the issues many see with the Legion.

There is soul searching going on within the Legion at high levels, and there's a group of modern vets trying to work in parallel to get some modernization happening, but it may need a real shock to the system to happen.

I agree with that assessment completely. Perhaps the branches that are nothing more than a community service club need to die for the RCL to get back to being a predominantly veteran based organization. We are no longer within a few years of the end of two mass mobilizations, so every small town across the country doesn't require a veterans hall.

Furniture said:
... so every small town across the country doesn't require a veterans hall.

For many small towns the Legion is the only place to get a beer, have an event or meeting, play some pool etc...  It's a social gathering place, and critical to knitting people together.

That being said, that's not the Legions raison d'etre

Underway said:
For many small towns the Legion is the only place to get a beer,

It was the only place in my neighbourhood.

Underway said:
For many small towns the Legion is the only place to get a beer, have an event or meeting, play some pool etc...  It's a social gathering place, and critical to knitting people together.

That being said, that's not the Legions raison d'etre

The problem as I have experienced it is that many of the small town branches only view themselves as the local watering hole, with some occasional costume wearing thrown in. I have been made feel  more welcome in small town pubs than in almost any Legion branch I have ever been to. My girlfriend and I got stared at on Remembrance Day one year in Charlottetown, while my girlfriend was asked aggressive questions about how "sailor" she really is. Of all days to make uniformed CAF members feel unwelcome, that had to be the strangest... 

If communities need/want a social club for gathering, knitting, meat draws, etc. they should establish one, or bring in one of the many other service clubs that do the same thing. The RCL is supposed to be veterans supporting veterans.

Furniture said:
The problem as I have experienced it is that many of the small town branches only view themselves as the local watering hole, with some occasional costume wearing thrown in. I have been made feel  more welcome in small town pubs than in almost any Legion branch I have ever been to. My girlfriend and I got stared at on Remembrance Day one year in Charlottetown, while my girlfriend was asked aggressive questions about how "sailor" she really is. Of all days to make uniformed CAF members feel unwelcome, that had to be the strangest... 

If communities need/want a social club for gathering, knitting, meat draws, etc. they should establish one, or bring in one of the many other service clubs that do the same thing. The RCL is supposed to be veterans supporting veterans.

Tim Hortons' brand would probably do a bang up job of providing a central point of appreciation and congregation for veterans across Canada, in all sizes of community and - even better - be associated with coffee, not booze.

daftandbarmy said:
Tim Hortons' brand would probably do a bang up job of providing a central point of appreciation and congregation for veterans across Canada, in all sizes of community and - even better - be associated with coffee, not booze.

That kind of negativity we can do without around here, mister.

I worry about the loss of support for the cadets as well. Our Navy League depends on legion support.

Furniture said:
while my girlfriend was asked aggressive questions about how "sailor" she really is.

Wtf.  Was it due to lack of medals or because some dinosaur didn't think women should be in the Navy?

dapaterson said:

Get the RCL to file a disability claim. We will find out if they are successful in approx 100 weeks. If they fail, file an appeal and wait another 100 weeks.

Thus they may understand Vets problems.

For the full experience, it should be rejected out of hand on the first submission, regardless of merit.

Dimsum said:
Wtf.  Was it due to lack of medals or because some dinosaur didn't think women should be in the Navy?

A dinosaur that didn't believe women are in "real" navy trades... Worst part is the guy was former air force.

Brihard said:

That is useful information.  Can you expand?  Who are these people?  Can you share contact info?  Are they receptive to feedback and input?  Are they aware of this discussion?  It seems like an opportune time to speak up.  Thank you. 

Furniture said:

The Legion is very good at "gate keeping" (as is PEI interestingly enough).  They are an inherently conservative organization and extremely resistant to change.  God forbid you try to enter one as a currently serving member with a Turban or other religious head covering.  Gasp!  The scandal!

No, no.  We use the colour/lack of an anchor to discriminate who the "real sailors" are in the RCN now.  ::)

Back