• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why do army vets complain about being broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercenaryBlack

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright.. Don't throw me a bunch of hate for this, but I always hear people complaining about how the military - or at least army - leaves you broke. I don't understand how. I'm thinking of going infantry after I graduate high school next year in 2015. I figure since the housing is free (As far as I know) and so is the food, as well as on forces.ca it says how fully trained infantry soldiers start at around 50 grand a year, how are they broke after getting out? I was thinking i'd have anywhere from 50-100k in the bank after a 3 year contract. is it due to bad budgeting? are barracks not free? what's the deal? thanks

Once you get posted to a unit housing and food is not free.
A lot of guys blow there money on toys
Some places it's a lot more expensive to leave but normally impact families
Some send half their money to their ex.  ;D

Oh.. I never knew that. How much are rations/housing usually? I know you just said some places are most expensive.. but generally, what's to be expected?
Just to say it again, for infantry - if that makes a difference. I'm in ontario.

MercenaryBlack said:
Alright.. Don't throw me a bunch of hate for this, but I always hear people complaining about how the military - or at least army - leaves you broke. I don't understand how. I'm thinking of going infantry after I graduate high school next year in 2015. I figure since the housing is free (As far as I know) and so is the food, as well as on forces.ca it says how fully trained infantry soldiers start at around 50 grand a year, how are they broke after getting out? I was thinking i'd have anywhere from 50-100k in the bank after a 3 year contract. is it due to bad budgeting? are barracks not free? what's the deal? thanks

Are you sure you've not mistaken the military for a job in the oil sands?

You'll never get rich (as the song says 'you SOB'), but the money and benefits are really very good in comparison with main stream jobs. Especially at the entry level, which pays better in the military IMHO than just about any other job with any company I know of (including mine).

Depending on which trade you wind up in, you'll be deployed a lot so saving money can be a lot easier than making money.

I'd suggest you talk to a recruiter as they have the best info on the latest pay rates etc.

daftandbarmy said:
Are you sure you've not mistaken the military for a job in the oil sands?

You'll never get rich (as the song says 'you SOB'), but the money and benefits are really very good in comparison with main stream jobs. Especially at the entry level, which pays better in the military IMHO than just about any other job with any company I know of (including mine).

Depending on which trade you wind up in, you'll be deployed a lot so saving money can be a lot easier than making money.

I'd suggest you talk to a recruiter as they have the best info on the latest pay rates etc.
Yea I gotcha. I don't expect to be rich, just enough to get a good start on life. Assuming I don't lose any limbs, my career choice is policing. I'm currently a co-op student at the local police station. I've always wanted to be in the Army, and I feel as if I'll regret it when I'm older if I don't, which is why I'm putting more thought into it now. It's not like my family isn't in a good position right now, it's just something I want to do.
in my city they got rid of our recruiting center for some reason, so it's difficult for me to get in contact with the London recruiter.

MercenaryBlack said:
Yea I gotcha. I don't expect to be rich, just enough to get a good start on life. Assuming I don't lose any limbs, my career choice is policing. I'm currently a co-op student at the local police station. I've always wanted to be in the Army, and I feel as if I'll regret it when I'm older if I don't, which is why I'm putting more thought into it now. It's not like my family isn't in a good position right now, it's just something I want to do.
in my city they got rid of our recruiting center for some reason, so it's difficult for me to get in contact with the London recruiter.

If there's a Reserve unit near you, talk to their folks.  They'll at least be able to point you in the right direction.

There is a metric buttload of useful information already on this Site, including answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet. Please read through older threads, and use the Search Function if you need to know something. Once you've done your homework, feel free to ask about anything that has not already been answered.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back