• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worst choice..quitting the forces

rz350

Inactive
Reaction score
That I ever made was to not stick it out in the forces. I folded like a wal-mart tent in a hurricane, and now I regret more then anything in my life. I am posting this as a piece of advice to anyone else thinking of quitting before you give it a serious chance. YOU WILL REGRET IT!. You will wake up every day and look at your self in the mirror with disgust. You will wonder "WTF did I quit?" every day. Hang in there, if you at least give it a fair chance, and decide its not for you, then that is cool. But dont quit during BMQ like I did. You will just plain hate your self for it.

Now I am just waiting to get my 6 months of waiting over, get some work and school stuff inline, and beg the forces to have me back.

Point of my post: DONT EFFING QUIT! unless you like feeling like a POS.

[EDIT: Spelling of quitting in title.]

I agree with ya 100 % VR's are almost always regreted, I kinda wish they'd give ya a week instead of a day to decide.. but do a search on here and you'll find that your situation has happened many times before... if ya really want it... stay focused, reapply after 6 months and giver your all. PM me if ya got some questions, I might be able to help... I know exactly what you're going through (seeing my platoons grad picture(w/ me not in it)was like a kick in the stones) you're where I was 6+ months ago (I made the huge mistake of VRing in Sept 06)... now I've reapplied and am waiting for my VFS/med docs to get back. Using it as a learning experience is about the only positive you can take from it.
Good luck

Same here I VRed almost 15 yrs ago because of a bad choice, I wasn't smart enough to listen to a very wise WO at the time. My parents were getting divorced and my grandmother had passed away and the woman I was with hated the army. My WO at the time said quiting wouldn't fix my parents or bring back my grandmother. I won't repeat what he said about the girl (ladies and children around LOL). But I decided to go anyway and Have spent everyday since kicking my butt for doing it. Now at 35 I'm trying to get back in and had my medical go off to review so I have my fingers crossed. Anyone reading this and thinking about VRing make sure you think REALLY long and hard about it. Trust me you don't want to spend as many years as I have hating a choice you made.

NJL said:
I know exactly what you're going through (seeing my platoons grad picture(w/ me not in it)was like a kick in the stones)

Me best friend is still on course (reserves weekend BMQ) and every weekend when my friend comes back and tells me about it, is like having a mallet hit your stones as they are on an anvil.

Will, I will say one thing, quitting and feeling like shite for it will sure make your resolve to do it next time really really high. SO hopefully soon, I can be back in it.

what could make you VR during weekend bmq?
If you had difficulties with that, you are really not going to like SQ or your trades training where you don't get to go home on sunday night.

Future Unknown said:
If you had difficulties with that, you are really not going to like SQ or your trades training where you don't get to go home on sunday night.

Part of it was work/school/home life actually. Like a lot of pressure from my parent to not carry on with the forces, cause of hippy like leanings. It was more the coming home on Sunday then the BMQ that made me quit. :p

[[Edit:grammer/spelling]]

I was on reg force BMQ, not sure if there's much difference compared to reserves..weekend BMQ sounds like it MAY be easier(adjusting/less days per week,etc)..@ 26, I'd rather be full-time CF then part-time CF... not that there's anything wrong w/ reserves.

I can't commend anyone for quitting during BMQ...  ::)
But I congratulate those determined to return and make it; I wish you all well.

Now whether you are joining for the 1st time, or returning after making a mistake, remember the first principle of war:

"Selection and maintenance of the aim"

Think about it every day.

Now go on an'git'er done !!!!  8)

Future Unknown said:

What indeed.  Howvever there are a variety of things that can come into play.  Most reservists have other lives.  School, other jobs.  So you go back to normal life for a week then have it ramped up again on the weekends.  I hate weekend courses.  The only weekend course I ever took was JLC.  I hated every single minute of it.  Dragging my kit out every weekend, resetting the room standard then tearing down again.  My JNCO was much more intense but I preferred it being fulltime.  Get it done in one shot. 

Weekend courses vs full time have pros and cons.  A big con for weekend courses is getting into the right frame of mind and routine.  I suspect that is why some people VR.

goingback said:
Same here I VRed almost 15 yrs ago because of a bad choice, I wasn't smart enough to listen to a very wise WO at the time. My parents were getting divorced and my grandmother had passed away and the woman I was with hated the army. My WO at the time said quiting wouldn't fix my parents or bring back my grandmother. I won't repeat what he said about the girl (ladies and children around LOL).

Your WO told you not to quit?  The WO on our course was always yelling at us to go home, first thing he did was individualy tell people they were going to quit.

Only day i ever felt like quiting, was when we were learning drill, i was the worst person there at it... i think the worst part was when they just stoped yelling at me, like they gave up or somthing... i seriously thought they were going to fail me for drill lol, but when i asked one of the Mclp, he told me they couldent.  I never would have actually quit though, couse i know id regret it once i went back to my boring civi life. ..... I hate drill... so much.

If you hate drill, then you never had a proper drill instructor.

Jungle said:
I can't commend anyone for quitting during BMQ...  ::)

I do not think anyone but a left wing hippy would want praise for quitting. :p
Crantor said:
What indeed.  Howvever there are a variety of things that can come into play.  Most reservists have other lives.  School, other jobs.  So you go back to normal life for a week then have it ramped up again on the weekends.  I

Yup, also, working a late shift (i.e. getting to bed at 2:30am on weekdays) then having to get up at 5am on the weekends was a real pain too. But for me, worst of all, was the c*ck I got when I got back home on Sunday. It made the crse MWO and my sect comd seem nice. I wish I could of done it all at once, so I diddnt have to get c*cked at home. :p

But thats all excuses, and in the past. I must look to the future, and have no excuses.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember it is a game. They all have to stand in the line at Tim Hortons.

Adrian_888 said:
Your WO told you not to quit?
I was quitting because of personal life stuff not because of the military. The WO pointed out that leaving the military wouldn't change any of the problems, and he was right and I should have listened. But as they say Hindsight is 20/20

I was once told I was too stupid to quit (I think it was some WO during my cadet days while I was at exertion training).  Biggest compliment I ever received.  I don't think I could ever quit the forces, just because normally I'm more afraid of quitting than going ahead with something (even if it is a bad idea).  To those that do quit though, it can't be an easy thing.  The fact that you feel bad for quitting for the first time probably means you just weren't ready for the realities of the military then.  Hopefully now though all you guys that are planning on getting back in are ready for it.

Bobby Rico said:
I was once told I was too stupid to quit (I think it was some WO during my cadet days while I was at exertion training).  Biggest compliment I ever received.  I don't think I could ever quit the forces, just because normally I'm more afraid of quitting than going ahead with something (even if it is a bad idea).  To those that do quit though, it can't be an easy thing.  The fact that you feel bad for quitting for the first time probably means you just weren't ready for the realities of the military then.  Hopefully now though all you guys that are planning on getting back in are ready for it.

It wasn't easy for me... felt like crap, but after about a month I put it in the past and concentrated on my present/future.. and how to use it as a learning experience... going to Franham daily while on PAT helped give me a better understanding of my instructors/ military life outside St.Jean/BMQ..instructors are supposed to hard while teaching BMQ.. my former platoon mates were telling me that they become more friendly/positive after the first 4-5 weeks.

Reasons for VRing can vary depending on the person/ situation.. I have a good idea of what BMQ is like and I can't wait for it...not that it'll be easy but I feel I'm better prepared/more determined now

I guess I got to start thinking about trades and Officer Vs NCM. My effective release date was Jan, so I can re-apply in August. I got to think a bit, and do it. Every day, I just get more and more pumpedand angrier and angrier at my self...which has the same effect to do it again, and this time, have success.

Crantor said:
A big con for weekend courses is getting into the right frame of mind and routine.  I suspect that is why some people VR.

With my civilian job going the way it is, getting in the right frame of mind is no problem.  I look forward to my training weekends.  Its like a 3 day paid vacation from my sad reality.  :)

I agree. Leaving is one of the largest regrets I have. I did it for good reasons at the time, but it never sat well with me.

Since I left I've gone to University, College earned civilian licenses and have a very good job with security etc. I'm getting back in and am stoked about it...and scared to death at the same time.

If you are thinking of getting out, wait a year..then decide.

Back