• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you go to RMC. RRMC, or CMR

The weather in Kingston is super nice! It only gets cold for a month, the rest of the year is like a perfect summer. If you want to see cold weather, you must go north of Kingston, like Sudbury or Portage for example, is the place to see cold. Kingston has VERY mild winters. Even Ottawa is colder, and anyone who travels there for winterlude would agree with me. As someone who never saw Royal Roads, I must say that RMC is the best place around. Lots of pubs, bars and a mess closeby to drink cheap beer.

Have a good day!

bbbb, you've answered the question nicely, if not myopically:
bbbb said:
As someone who never saw Royal Roads, I must say that RMC is the best place around. Lots of pubs, bars and a mess close by to drink cheap beer.
Personally, as one who has never climbed the Inca Trail to see Machu Picchu, I would hardly be qualified to say that the Cape Chignecto trail is better or worse, regardless of how nice a hike it was.
Of course, we all have our preferences, and our loyalties too, and each college has(had) its charms, attractions and drawbacks, but as one who has been to all three colleges, my personal opinion was that being a Roadent was the best of the three.
Yours, Aye
Rhibwolf

Makes sense to me. We all have our appreciation for the MilCol we attend. I'm glad to have learned something about Royal Roads as it was quite an enigma you know.

Have a good day!

RecceDG said:
Well I'll be a spotted owl - I did PFS the summer of 1990. Although in my case, I was one of the many who rode the ejection chair out of there. Landings.

"Boost, check, Change, check, Rich, Hot, Both....."

You know Martin Hickey? Bern Thorne? Bill Church?

DG

DG, I still can say that one in under 9 seconds...in my sleep, if required! ;)  Don Leben and Robin Boutillier were my instructors...Don retired a few years ago from teaching Saudis to fly F-5's and I don't know where Robin got to.

Having done BSc at Roads and PG at RMC, I think Roads was still a great experience.  I'd do their DL MBA in a heartbeat just to do the three residence periods in my old haunts... :D

Cheers,
Duey

Old PFS drivers said:
"Boost, check, Change, check, Rich, Hot, Both....."

That must be Musket talk for engine failure IA - Slingsby slang was more poetic:
"Quarter- Change- Rich- Change-Both-On- Off"

I wonder what the Grob-era PFT studs will learn - probably something to the effect of:
"Reset computer"

Zoomie, don't you mean to say "CTRL-ALT-DEL"?  >:D

Cheers,
Duey

I've been to RMC as a cadet during the summer time... I hate Ontario summers. I dislike Ontario all together to be honest, and I am in love with BC. So, it's not brainer for me, definitely Royal Roads. If I did not want MARS for all the right reasons I'd pick it as one of my MOC choices solely because one has to go through NOTC in Esquimalt for a whole year. I don't understand why regular military presence in BC is lacking so much. I think it only makes sense to have a military academy and to return regular army there due to its geographical location.

Sky said:
I've been to RMC as a cadet during the summer time... I hate Ontario summers. I dislike Ontario all together to be honest, and I am in love with BC. So, it's not brainer for me, definitely Royal Roads. If I did not want MARS for all the right reasons I'd pick it as one of my MOC choices solely because one has to go through NOTC in Esquimalt for a whole year. I don't understand why regular military presence in BC is lacking so much. I think it only makes sense to have a military academy and to return regular army there due to its geographical location.

Wouldn't it be expensive to reopen Royal Roads?

Royal Roads is open again, as a civilian university...  ;)

Wow, then it would be quite expensive for the federal government to buy it back. What do they teach there?

Is that all they teach at Royal Roads now? Are there any profs or staff from the old days of RRMC?

bbbb said:
Wow, then it would be quite expensive for the federal government to buy it back. What do they teach there?

It's still technically government owned, just somewhat privately run. Sort of like the CMR complex, but with more civilian courses.
I wonder how much money they made from the filming of the X-Men movies...

On another note, I find the Royal Roads campus is far more beautiful than RMC (depends what you like). The hills, lagoon, running trail in the forest, Canada geese droppings, Washington mountains, cruise ships going by... Although Kingston at night is pretty spectacular. As for the winters in Kingston, I find them too humid, brings the chill to the bones.

Could be worst, you could be in middle of nowhere St-Jean...Sur Richelieu of course...

...of course St. Jean is 40 minutes from Montreal. Not too shabby of a location and definitely NOT in the middle of nowhere.

23007 said:
...of course St. Jean is 40 minutes from Montreal. Not too shabby of a location and definitely NOT in the middle of nowhere.

True, true, but that's 40 minutes if you have a car. It's still a pretty shabby place just across the bridge from "downtown" St-Jean.

It's not 40 minutes, as anyone who ever got a ride in the Green Beast will attest.

And Vitos (best poutine in Canada) and the Taverne were within immediate stumbling distance for those vehicularly challenged.

DG

It's almost an hour if you take the bus from outside the gates to the mall and then the mall to downtown Montreal...

SeaKingTacco said:
Ahhh...  Nothing beat a good Saturday morning on the parade square under the tender mercies of Sgt Major Baumgarten.  That man could do drill.  And teach it as well.

"You are here on this parade square this morning PREPARING FOR WAR!".... That man had the best lines...
I'm not even sure why this is a question.  There can be no debate.  The stinkin' Liberals will have my undying disgust for closing Roads.  Where else these days can you get a minor in Drill?

I remember Sgt Maj Baumgarten well.  I wonder where he retired to?  Some of his lines:

"Arrggghh, you've got to strike like a snake!"

"Drive the body, shoot the foot!"

"You sound like turds dropping from a tall cow's arse!"

"Looks like a few villages are missing their idiots!"

"RTFF(ormat)!"

Funny, as much as I would have liked to go to roads! or CMR, Constant rain, and the dank smoke filled bars of st.jean just don't compare to VIC hall on a Friday night slash Saturday mourning or hangover sundays at the toucan.

Cheers!

Back