• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present

If he's young enough to require parental consent, yes, that can be an obstacle - there are many otherwise intelligent parents who would not grant consent for their children to join the Armed Forces. He'd need a degree as well, which could mean consent for RMC.

RicoSalva - There is a Getting Parents Onboard (or something like that) thread somewhere on this Fine Site. I'd suggest a read through that for some ideas. I'd also suggest exploring other relevant threads as well. There is a ton of useful information here ripe for the plucking.

Flying training is extremely demanding. You may as well get used to doing homework by researching here. You'll also likely find answers to many questions before they even occur to you.

You have two choices, as I see it: Build a case so persuasive that your parents cannot refuse the necessary consent, or wait until you no longer require it.

It's worth whatever it takes. Well worth whatever it takes.

Does any one know how long is the wait between the training phase at the moment? Is there a lot of pilot candidate waiting on the list for PFT.? Thank you.

hiking said:
Does any one know how long is the wait between the training phase at the moment? Is there a lot of pilot candidate waiting on the list for PFT.? Thank you.

For DEO, yes. For CEOTP/ROTP, no.

First time poster here. I'm having trouble opening up some of the links to the anecdotal threads with answers to common questions (says I don't have permission to read them). Is it because I don't have any posts on this forum? 

I'm 39, a Canadian citizen living in the 'States, Bachelors degree in Business Administration, and my FAA PPL. I'll have my instrument rating completed in two months. If I pass all of these assessments, should I get to skip PFT or must I start to learn how to fly like I did 24 years ago? I'm  quite competent at the controls, own my own complex aircraft (Mooney), and fly regularly.

mapleyankee said:
First time poster here. I'm having trouble opening up some of the links to the anecdotal threads with answers to common questions (says I don't have permission to read them). Is it because I don't have any posts on this forum? 

I'm 39, a Canadian citizen living in the 'States, Bachelors degree in Business Administration, and my FAA PPL. I'll have my instrument rating completed in two months. If I pass all of these assessments, should I get to skip PFT or must I start to learn how to fly like I did 24 years ago? I'm  quite competent at the controls, own my own complex aircraft (Mooney), and fly regularly.

You'll have to Phase I if you don't have a CPL or equivalent. Either way, you're going to have to relearn how to fly, on Phase I or Phase II. I thought civvie flying would prepare me...no way b'y.

Just so everyone is aware -

I spoke to my recruiter today and they said all pilot positions are filled until next fiscal year.

Dingodan said:

I spoke to my recruiter today and they said all pilot positions are filled until next fiscal year.

I assume you declined the offer back in 2015 then? Have you been trying to get a pilot slot since? I'm just curious as you've been in the recruiting system for a decade.

Dingodan said:

Confirming the above: A couple days ago my RC said that Pilot and ACSO positions were filled for this year.

Just got a call from my recruitment center, they said all Pilot spots are full right through 2020, so any potential spots would only be for 2021 and won't hear about those for a while. So much for a pilot shortage

...a pilot ‘throughput’ shortage...

xxpheonixx - Is that only for DEO, or all entry plans?

I fairly recently got an offer through the CEOTP program for this year, even though I'd previously heard rumours about recruiting centres saying the spots were full.

hey xxphoenixx, when did you get your offer for CEOTP? When had you applied for it?

Hey guys,

I completed the air crew selection test and passed for pilot earlier this year and at the time they made it very clear that my results were valid for 5 years. This was about 7 months ago. I have now just been informed by CFRC that the results are valid for only 3 years. Anyone know when this change was made? Has there been a mistake?

Kind regards

Hi all,
In mid-January '20, CFRC Toronto told me FY20/21 has 11 DEO pilot spots. Does anybody have any information to add? I couldn't find any intake numbers for the upcoming fiscal year on these forums.
Thanks much.
Edit: Follow-up question: I asked CFRC Toronto if they know when the first round of DEO pilot selections takes place for a given fiscal year. The person that I spoke to didn't have an answer. Does anybody on this forum have any information about that? Thanks much.

Insane_Coconut said:
Hey guys,

I completed the air crew selection test and passed for pilot earlier this year and at the time they made it very clear that my results were valid for 5 years. This was about 7 months ago. I have now just been informed by CFRC that the results are valid for only 3 years. Anyone know when this change was made? Has there been a mistake?

Kind regards

I passed my Aircrew Selection Test in November and they told me they were valid for 5 years.

John Smith said:
Hi all,
In mid-January '20, CFRC Toronto told me FY20/21 has 11 DEO pilot spots. Does anybody have any information to add? I couldn't find any intake numbers for the upcoming fiscal year on these forums.
Thanks much.

I heard (not confirmed) that numbers were 11 DEO, 25 CEOTP, 28 ROTP for 2021.

Someone in the CAF that heard it from someone at the DPRG, or something like that...

(I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...)

Back