• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ziploc - The best non-intentional peice of military kit.

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I was thinking (yes, that is dangerous, and no it didn't hurt) "where would we be without Ziploc bags"? I am not sure about the rest, but I carry everything, ranging form my spare socks to the medications I dispence in the field in varying sizes of Ziploc. I also guntape ziploc bags as to make them more durable to carry my notebook in and to have an improvised wallet in the field.

Where would we be without Ziploc bags?

What other household inventions are almost a must for us in the field? Baby wipes immediately come to mind. Any others?

Armymedic said:
What other household inventions are almost a must for us in the field? Baby wipes immediately come to mind. Any others?
I read the topic heading and was going to post, that from a female perspective Baby wipes pulled a pretty close second place!! Then I opened up and found you had them covered. Yes, baby wipes, a girl's best friend!!

Doesn't Ziploc now make various travel bags?
(larger ones to go inside rucks, duffles etc....just to clarify)
(for keeping clothes dry, or the smell contained)

Ziplock bags are the soldier's best friend in the field. I've gone through so many I should have shares in the company... keeps what should be kept out, out, and what should be kept in, in. Good idea gun-taping them though, never thought of that one...

Baby wipes and Wet Ones seem to be made for the Army... combine them with Gold Bond and you're good to go... 

I love zip-ties of all sizes, from tiny ones that keep kit where it should be, to huge ones that could restrain the Hulk, an assortment of zip-ties has come in very handy more than once...

Anything else??

I got some of those travel bags off the shopping channel, they are great.. some work by rolling, some work with a vaccum.  "space bag" is the name you want to look for, they sell some at Wal-mart.. camping section.. 2 to a box.  I ordered a bundle for $30ish on TSC.com.

A another good one is your own roll of TP.  You never know when the rocket house will run out.

I second the ziplock bags.  But have you noticed the quality of the plastic has been declining?  I just purchased some new ones a few months ago and compared them to the old ones I have in my pack (the old ones are at least 4 yrs old) and the new ones seem really cheap.  So if anyone has some old ones make sure you hang onto them (if your wife wants some to freeze her jam or something make sure you make her use the NEW ones).

Those little carabiners seem to be pretty useful, too. I mean, this summer I found I had all sorts of stuff I wanted quick access to snap-linked to the yoke of my webbing.

Big Foot said:
Those little carabiners seem to be pretty useful, too. I mean, this summer I found I had all sorts of stuff I wanted quick access to snap-linked to the yoke of my webbing.

Oh heck yes. Home Hardware here is Pembroke has been selling them for a couple years. Now 3 RCR has puchased a whole wack and issued 2 per person.

We put one in each loop on the shoulders of the TV. Last week I used one to hold a micro light and a lighter on my pant loops right beside the Leatherman in the field. Worked great as I didn't have to dig thru pockets to get them out.

Carabiners! There's one type of sports drink that comes with a carabiner on each bottle, I forget the name, but a cheap way to get them...

Speaking of carabiners, I find the best way to carry my helmet when not wearing it is to make a small paracord loop at the rear of the helmet harness where the screw is (after re-enforcing it with a washer so it doesn't pull through the leather) and clip that to a carabiner on the left side of my tac vest. Easy to get to and it doesn't flop around too much...

Mike_R23A said:
I find the best way to carry my helmet when not wearing it is to make a small paracord loop at the rear of the helmet harness where the screw is (after re-enforcing it with a washer so it doesn't pull through the leather) and clip that to a carabiner on the left side of my tac vest. Easy to get to and it doesn't flop around too much...
AAAARRGH! Unauthorized kit mod!!! ;D
I may have to just do that...

I found that Q-Tips were always pretty good in the Field but i haven't masted how to keep them dry and unbroken... prolly just  a ziplock away....  and gold bond is awesome for  chafage.

Peace said:
....   and gold bond is awesome for   chafage.
Never been too much into powders....take up valuable space (for other things)......Now, SPANDEX.......since getting some Spandex shorts, the problems with chaffing have been non-existant.  I think that thought may have come into play with the new CF unisex underwear.

Another piece of kit I became quite attached to was a cheap $1.99 Exacto knife to carry in my pocket.  When the blade got dull, just snap it off and keep going.  Good for opening up IMPs length-wise and other odd tasks. 

A cheap pair of four inch Dags to keep in your pocket to cut wire and the zap straps on your laundry bags.

Tie wraps & gun tape are some all time favorites.

Bzzliteyr said:
I got some of those travel bags off the shopping channel, they are great, some work with a vaccum.   "space bag"

You take a vaccum along with you?

Would a piece of shrapnel cause your ruck to expand beyond the limits of the space time continum?

;D  I know the kind you are refering too.  Some of them on the market are designed only for travel; hence no need for the vaccum.  The domestic storage ones need the vaccum.

Now, do you use ziploc's in the space bags?

Ben

Hmmm... Some things I've put into Ziploc bags in the past are:

Cigarettes & ignition source (nothing worse that trying to light a stove w/o a match)
During Range Competitions, I always keep my match cards in a ziploc bag inside my Gas Mask Carrier.

Not necessarily the best pieces of kit,  but when it comes time to maintain our weapons, everyone asks to borrow my Shave Brush and Electrician Hook Set.  I keep both in a gun tape re-enforced Ziploc bag with a hunk of Brillo pad.

IMO, the best Ziploc bags are the freezer-strength ones with the sliding plastic chummy-mcbobble (yes, that is a technical term.... that I made up) that allows you to quickly and easily open/close said bag.

I carry a little exacto knife that is a slide-out spring loaded dealie (hard to describe, so here's a pic of something similar)
retract_knife.gif

and I keep that in my FMP pouch, to help get rid of all that paper that stays at the top after you tear it out in a hurry. Good for a range of other things, plus you don't have to worry about de-limbing yourself like you would with other knifes (Xacto ones are pretty good at that).

PPCLI MCpl, I assume that the electrician hook set that you speak of is like the tools that the dental types use to remove plaque, etc from the fangs? Those things are good to get into where the sun don't shine (on weapons, people!!!).

I think it's the little things that make all the difference, and I am NOT shy about ripping off good ideas from people. Another one for people with brass hat-badges is a tooth brush with the rubber-tipped gum massager to work out the crud without scratching the brass to rat-crap (unless that is what you want to do).

Al

Peace said:
I found that Q-Tips were always pretty good in the Field but i haven't masted how to keep them dry and unbroken... prolly just   a ziplock away....   and gold bond is awesome for   chafage.

If you buy a travel pack of Q-tips they come in a little plastic box, holds I think about 30 of them.

Back