• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Not sure if there is a doctor in the house. I didn't go to medical school. I just follow the Public Health Unit
Hes just using the name it should have...
He’s using the name a certain segment of the political sphere are using. We don’t call Ebola the “Africa Virus”, we stopped calling AIDS the gay virus a long time ago. In an age of reason it’s disappointing to see people use divisive culture war language. All these terms and nicknames serve one purpose only and that’s to denigrate people.

Meh....I don't think calling something after a slave-using, genocide-causing political party' is anything like calling it 'gay'.

Except the language has led to a variety of hate crimes against Asians in North America. So the similarities are there.

No it hasn't......the media tried to go with that, but even they couldn't make that devisive horse run.

Yeah it did.

Even the author waffles on that....'reporting' of these crimes went up.

A California-based advocacy organization for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Stop AAPI Hate, said it received nearly 3,800 reports of attacks nationwide between March 19, 2020, and February 28, 2021. About 68% were verbal harassment, 21% were shunning (deliberate avoidance), and 11% were physical assaults.

I always take things with a grain of salt when the reporting groups need to find those results to justify their existence,....which also ties to fundraising...

That’s not the source of the data in the article. The article links to the report as published by the University of California San Bernardino research centre that conducted the study.

You convienetally forgot the 'Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism" at the beginning of U of C San Bernardino research centre.

He’s using the name a certain segment of the political sphere are using. We don’t call Ebola the “Africa Virus”, we stopped calling AIDS the gay virus a long time ago. In an age of reason it’s disappointing to see people use . All these terms and nicknames serve one purpose only and that’s to denigrate people.
"calling AIDS the gay virus"? If we had pulled that sh^t in front of a triage nurse the dept. would have transferred us to "the farm". Maybe even Scarborough. And rightfully so.

Same if we had used "divisive culture war language" during SARS. I imagine the same thing applies now during SARS-CoV-2 .

You convienetally forgot the 'Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism" at the beginning of U of C San Bernardino research centre.
I didn’t ‘conveniently forget’ anything. I kept my reply short, and anyone actually reading it will see the full name of the research institute. It’s typical that universities have a variety of different research institutes with different focuses. There’s nothing insidious there.

In any case you’re committing a flawless ad hominem. You’re ignoring the data, the inferences, and the conclusions, and going right after a presumed bias on the part of who published it. If you have issues with their methodology, spit it out. Otherwise, you simply made a claim up thread that data doesn’t appear to support.

If I cared enough I'm sure I could find a study that says the opposite.....but then you'd only claim the same thing I'm claiming since it came from the "Rush Limbaugh Centre for Research on Americana"

And I don't care enough.....

You cared enough to make the original claim to Remius, and to go fishing when I showed evidence that he was correct.

And no- if you posted something purporting to be an academic study and I took issue with the conclusions based on data sources or methodology, the onus would be on me to look at and reasonably critique those things. While my mere bachelor’s degree in this stuff is well short of what I would need to claim any real expertise, I’m absolutely comfortable playing in this sandbox at the very basic levels we’re talking here.

Treating derogatory comments about the CCP as indistinguishable from derogratory comments about people is exactly the game they (CCP) would like us to play. I can think of a lot of things to be sensitive about before I'd choose the CCP.

Treating derogatory comments about the CCP as indistinguishable from derogratory comments about people is exactly the game they (CCP) would like us to play. I can think of a lot of things to be sensitive about before I'd choose the CCP.
If people were smart enough to know the difference it wouldn’t make a difference. But the moment they hear “China virus” or whatever they get triggered when they see Asians, because they think all Asians look the same they are all part of the same club.

As PMed mentioned, it has an actual name and term for it.

People can call it whatever the hell they want. To be clear: language policing is so infrequent here that it really looks bad when it's done on behalf of something like the CCP.

I'm still waiting for the roll back of the Spanish Flu. But that sort of thing is really only a problem for the CCP.

People can call it whatever the hell they want. To be clear: language policing is so infrequent here that it really looks bad when it's done on behalf of something like the CCP.
Like Brad, I lose no sleep at all over the CCP getting a bad name. About time.

To be clear: language policing is so infrequent here that it really looks bad when it's done on behalf of something like the CCP.
I couldn't care less about the CCP. I'm only asking for correct terminology.

Two points from the Army.ca Guidelines:

Protecting the CF Image
First and foremost, we're all representatives of the CF. We may not want to be, but ultimately, we don't have the luxury of choice. The truth is when you post a message even on an unofficial site like this, your comments reflect upon the CF. That's not to say we can't bemoan the current state of affairs - it's a soldier's age old right to complain. But let's keep it clean and dignified.

You will not post any information that is offensive, defamatory, inaccurate, racist, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

But hey, if that's the way people want to be seen, have at it.

I couldn't care less about the CCP. I'm only asking for correct terminology.

Two points from the Army.ca Guidelines:

Protecting the CF Image
First and foremost, we're all representatives of the CF. We may not want to be, but ultimately, we don't have the luxury of choice. The truth is when you post a message even on an unofficial site like this, your comments reflect upon the CF. That's not to say we can't bemoan the current state of affairs - it's a soldier's age old right to complain. But let's keep it clean and dignified.

You will not post any information that is offensive, defamatory, inaccurate, racist, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

But hey, if that's the way people want to be seen, have at it.
Please, in detail, explain how commenting on the Chinese Communist Party is in anyway derogatory to Canadian Citizens of Chinese ethnic origin?

While mostly respecting the spirit of the guidelines, I foresee some difficulty with this one: "You will not post any information that is...inaccurate". Also "invasive of a person's privacy" (ie. gossip). And no more profanity, please.

I can guess that it'll be a lot easier if everyone just grows a little thicker skin. Otherwise, see "burden, administrative".

Back