• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Zelenskyy Perturbed at Friend Trudeau

sadly there will be no movement on arming the CAF or Ukraine to any great extant without outside pressure from our southern neighbour. I am surprised that the US is not pushing all NATO allies harder to be doing more

The days that I am glad that I work for the Queen and not the Prime Minister are certainly coming to a middle.
There are plenty of folks who aren't in the CAF, nor are they ardent monarchists, that feel the same way.

The AFN certainly doesn't want to see Canada become a republic.

Depending on the groundwork done, at least 4 years to complete the EA phase, as ground investigations (geotech, Archaeology, land claims, SARA listed species, water quality, etc) will have to be done prior so they can be reviewed during the EA and information gaps identified. The companies can help themselves by applying for permits to study the potentiel routes now and hire local FN to help with the studies and share that information with all bands that have Land Claims/treaties along the proposed routes. Then another 6 months to a year to get through the technical design phase to get regulatory permits, major modules can be ordered up at this point which generally have a 18-36 month lead time.

Some key issues
Cumulative impacts from multiple projects in the terminal area and pipeline routes?
Is dredging required for the terminal and access routes, is the dredge spoil contaminated and if so with what and how much, then where does it go?
Are there marine shipping and sea mammal impacts? A Termpol needs to be completed
is the Terminal in a geohazard area or is their critical habitat in that area?
What about a state of emergency declration and mandating 24/7 work on the assessments etc by the relevant agencies. I find it hard to believe the process is immutably slow

I wish this group all the best...

Not likely. Judicial review needs some major actual error to succeed. Ministerial permits for sanctions exemptions are expressly provided for in law, and the courts tend to be deferential to executive prerogatives. If the court finds that the decision made was a decision reasonably available to the decision maker, it’ll stand. It doesn’t come down to whether the court would have made the same decision.

Not likely. Judicial review needs some major actual error to succeed. Ministerial permits for sanctions exemptions are expressly provided for in law, and the courts tend to be deferential to executive prerogatives. If the court finds that the decision made was a decision reasonably available to the decision maker, it’ll stand. It doesn’t come down to whether the court would have made the same decision.
I'm well aware that it has little to no chance of success, that doesn't change my sentiment.

Realistically, what taking it to court does is keep the decision on the front page, and maybe makes the government take a second look... Politicians don't like doing unpopular things.

sadly there will be no movement on arming the CAF or Ukraine to any great extant without outside pressure from our southern neighbour. I am surprised that the US is not pushing all NATO allies harder to be doing more
Good luck with that. Everyone has their own problems and people are looking after their own self-interests, including the Americans.

Zelensky can go grovel to someone else if he isn't happy with our support.

I’ll stand by what I’ve said earlier. This decision was likely very closely considered, taking into account the severe vulnerability of Germany and Western Europe to being cut off of Russian gas. Russia has them by the short and curlies, and weaning off Russian gas must be done with care. Containing Russia is a long game, not a short one. Lots of Russian stuff can be blown up and soldiers killed notwithstanding their gas exports. Keeping Germany politically willing to work to oppose Russia in the long run is going to remain important.

I don’t like that Russia’s getting it’s turbine back. I do accept that the decision was made by those with access to much more fulsome than probably any of us. I definitely hope Canada works to help alleviate European reliance on Russian gas in the longer term.

Keep in mind that there is (maybe past tense applies; I don't know) at least one pipeline running through Ukraine that delivers products to western Europe. The products have been allowed to continue to flow. Europe wants the products; Russia wants the money for the products; Ukraine wants its cut of the pipeline operations and weapons from Europe (of which keeping the pipeline open is a "price").

Everyone involved has interests which make this a not-quite-total war.

Keep in mind that there is (maybe past tense applies; I don't know) at least one pipeline running through Ukraine that delivers products to western Europe. The products have been allowed to continue to flow. Europe wants the products; Russia wants the money for the products; Ukraine wants its cut of the pipeline operations and weapons from Europe (of which keeping the pipeline open is a "price").

Everyone involved has interests which make this a not-quite-total war.
And we should be very thankful for that.

I’ll stand by what I’ve said earlier. This decision was likely very closely considered, taking into account the severe vulnerability of Germany and Western Europe to being cut off of Russian gas. Russia has them by the short and curlies, and weaning off Russian gas must be done with care. Containing Russia is a long game, not a short one. Lots of Russian stuff can be blown up and soldiers killed notwithstanding their gas exports. Keeping Germany politically willing to work to oppose Russia in the long run is going to remain important.

I don’t like that Russia’s getting it’s turbine back. I do accept that the decision was made by those with access to much more fulsome than probably any of us. I definitely hope Canada works to help alleviate European reliance on Russian gas in the longer term.

Now the real question @brihard will be whether the Russians turn the taps back on or not? Or do they put the squeeze on the EU?

It would be a shame if someone hijacked the turbine or just blew it up. Whatever angle trudeau is playing against the coalition would evaporate.

Well, that didn't take long. The sad part? It's what the whole world believes right now and we brought it all on ourselves. This image will not fade for a long, long time. We are now, officially, the laughing stock of the world's militaries.

293673980_10159125465106699_1404182321806281066_n.jpg

Well, that didn't take long. The sad part? It's what the whole world believes right now and we brought it all on ourselves. This image will not fade for a long, long time. We are now, officially, the laughing stock of the world's militaries.

View attachment 71983
Solid ‘meh’ on that. The bulk of the combat arms will still be comprised of dudes in their late teens or twenties with a vested interest in getting laid. That alone will keep most of the ridiculousness in check. Add some alpha male peer pressure and I doubt there will be much to it once the novelty of giving the CSM an aneurysm wears off. Some dinosaurs and bigots will whine about the new regs, most of the actual troops and serving NCOs won’t care much and will get on with it. As long as the troops can still kill people and break their shit in the defence of the national interest under the lawful direction of the civil authority, the rest is just white noise. I’m sure there were similar cartoons when women were allowed in the combat arms, and when CAF stopped purging gays.

Back