• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

Maybe if we would finally just tell musicians that they have to be dual trade and hold them accountable like the rest of the forces, than this might be less of an issue.
Dual trade or given an element task.

Musicians are a small branch; a company or so in total.

Great as a distraction to prevent any discussion of the Army's nine battalions or three "cavalry" regiments, or the RCAF's desire to keep hundreds of future pilots on the books despite being unable to train more than 100 per year, or any other personnel-rich areas that need a solid scrubdown.

Musicians are a small branch; a company or so in total.

Great as a distraction to prevent any discussion of the Army's nine battalions or three "cavalry" regiments, or the RCAF's desire to keep hundreds of future pilots on the books despite being unable to train more than 100 per year, or any other personnel-rich areas that need a solid scrubdown.

Reserve CBG HQs enter the chat... ;)

Bill Murray King GIF

or the RCAF's desire to keep hundreds of future pilots on the books despite being unable to train more than 100 per year, .
a lot of those are ROTP so there’s a 5-year lead time, it’s pretty hard to predict 5 years in advance, especially when we keep thinking this new idea will increase throughput but then it doesn’t.

a lot of those are ROTP so there’s a 5-year lead time, it’s pretty hard to predict 5 years in advance, especially when we keep thinking this new idea will increase throughput but then it doesn’t.

The RCAF has tried little to no new ideas in pilot training. ROTP grads are waiting 2-3+ years post graduation to sit in a cockpit. There are great economies to be found there...

Perhaps even abolishing ROTP...

The RCAF has tried little to no new ideas in pilot training. ROTP grads are waiting 2-3+ years post graduation to sit in a cockpit. There are great economies to be found there...

They’ve cut the number of lesson plans in Moose Jaw drastically, unintentionally pushing these training events to the units.

Or...maybe the GoC not cutting resources so drastically in the early-90s and directing that the RCAF accept redirection of its own pilot production regularly putting out 125-130 pilots a year to one of the GoC's (of the day) Paragon of Canadian Aerospace IndustryTM via alternative service delivery (ASD)?

They’ve cut the number of lesson plans in Moose Jaw drastically, unintentionally pushing these training events to the units.
And tried increasing the number of students per course, which obviously didn’t change anything because it doesn’t change the number of missions. They added phase 2 on the Grob so now they can sit as Capts and wait for the OTU instead of being 2Lts waiting for phase 2.

Nav to the document: I thought this but was interesting:
  1. Adjust leave policy to provide greater flexibility to accumulate or cash out annual leave;
Also noted that in timings it says NLT APS22…. I think that’s in the past, so this document has presumably been in the works for a while.

Nav to the document: I thought this but was interesting:
  1. Adjust leave policy to provide greater flexibility to accumulate or cash out annual leave;
Also noted that in timings it says NLT APS22…. I think that’s in the past, so this document has presumably been in the works for a while.
Accumulation is a large future liability.

Cash out, while the CAF is understrength, is a more viable option.

But there should be negative repercussions for COs not giving people the ability to take annual.

Not giving leave and not taking leave are two separate issues. Most of the complaints I’ve seen around being “forced” to use annual before FY is the member not using it.
I have had a fair few folks who have been legitimately unable to take leave, due to operational tempo mind you, who are then forced to take 2 months off before end of FY.

This is a huge piss off, mainly because what the hell do they expect a person to do with a full years worth of time off during the most inhospitable time of year in this country? Kids are still in school, it's cold and miserable, and it's the busiest time of year with SLOC verification, PARs, and any numer of other "it's almost April" tasks.

If folks were able to legitimately bank it for use within the next fiscal year, no issue. If they wanted to cash out up to say 10 days within a fiscal year, non-issue.

You would see productivity go up and less people griping about being told how and when to take their PTO.

I'll cash my leave out, but I'll take a full months pay with allowances per 5 days.

I'm not taking a 1 for 1 exchange to reward the CAF for garbage leadership.

I’m am far from a pension expert but why not use that banked time as a pension credit of some sort. Or tack it on as a bank of “pre retirement leave”. People would go for that I would suspect.

I’m am far from a pension expert but why not use that banked time as a pension credit of some sort. Or tack it on as a bank of “pre retirement leave”. People would go for that I would suspect.
Terminal Leave is the most expensive type of leave, as generally the member has reached their highest rank and seniority.
You ideally don’t want that occurring.

Terminal Leave is the most expensive type of leave, as generally the member has reached their highest rank and seniority.
You ideally don’t want that occurring.
Ideally you don’t want to be so under-staffed that you’re on the brink of collapse, but here we are so I propose we should look at solutions that aren’t quite ideal but sill have a positive impact.

Ideally you don’t want to be so under-staffed that you’re on the brink of collapse, but here we are so I propose we should look at solutions that aren’t quite ideal but sill have a positive impact.
It happens and there are some legit reasons for it — but honestly it happens a lot more than legit reasons.
It happens down here a lot at GOFO levels, as well as in JSOC, but the difference is the JSOC folks are actually running around being busy not simply golfing on duty and no taking leave…

Back