• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

I can only imagine the government holding race-only events is rocket fuel for racist hate groups.

JIVANI: Trudeau administration funding racial segregation

Yet the National Arts Centre (NAC), a Crown corporation, is holding a black-only showing of a play at Babs Asper Theatre in Ottawa. They are excluding non-black people from attending the event in February, including non-black people who might be married to black men and women.

I don't think so.

I was thinking:
That's scripture & not something I wanted to post or discuss since it'd be like proselytizing.
This would be more like the CAF Code of Conduct or that of the Knight's Templar.

Like if Jesus started a Knighthood, joined it under the same code & then declared it his physical successor (Guruship)
The Prussian Army has a State - The Khalsa (Sikh Army) has a religion.

So while the Sikh philosophy is universal - the Khalsa is particular & are the actual Sikhs of the Guru.
--
About all I want to say on the topic.
Sikh Scripture (Gurbani) already declares that the Lord is everywhere, within everyone & to accept all names of the Lord.
To act with Sarbat Da Bhalla or the greater good/blessings for all in mind.
--
What does that have to do with a militaristic warband?
Khalsa is focused on Raj - systemic change - you can put out your neighbour's fire.
Or put out the guy who sets his house ablaze everyday.

Below is a passage from Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth which describes a meeting between Guru Gobind Singh and members of the Dadupanthi group of holy men. A discussion occurs in which the Guru and Jait, a member of the Dadupanthis, differ on whether forgiveness or force is the best response to atrocity.

ਜੈਤ ਕਹੈ 'ਹਮਰੋ ਗੁਰ ਭਾਖਾ । ਛਿਮਾ ਬਿਖੈ ਸਗਰੋ ਗੁਨ ਰਾਖਾ ।ਜਿਮ ਕਰਨੀ ਸੋ ਰਾਹੁ ਬਤਾਯੋ ' । ਪੁਨ ਦੋਹਾ ਕਹਿ ਔਰ ਸੁਨਾਯੋ ।21।
Jait said [to the Guru], "Our Guru has told us, within forgiveness all virtue is held, this is the path of action we have been told", then Jait recited a couplet.

ਦੋਹਰਾ । 'ਦਾਦੂ ਸਮਾ ਬਿਚਾਰਿ ਕੈ ਕਲਿ ਕਾ ਲੀਜੈ ਭਾਇ । ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮਾਰੈ ਢੀਮ ਇਟ ਲੀਜੈ ਸੀਸ ਚਢਾਇ ' ।22।
"Dadu, in contemplating the state of our Age of Darkness, if one hits you with a mud brick, then lower your head [and forgive them]."

ਚੌਪਈ । ਸੁਨਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਹ੍ਯੋ ' ਤੁਮਹੁ ਇਮ ਕਰਨੀ । ਪੰਥ ਨ੍ਰਿਵਿਰਤ ਤਿਨਹੁ ਕਹੁ ਬਰਨੀ । ਜਿਨਹੁ ਕੁਕਰਮ ਹਟਾਵਨਿ ਕਰਨੋ । ਤਿਨ ਕੋ ਅਪਰ ਬਿਧੀ ਸੋਂ ਬਰਨੋ ।23।
The Guru listening to this remarked, "That may be your path of action for your Panth, but [for us] to stop the spread of evil action, one must take a different method.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ।'ਦਾਦੂ ! ਸਮਾਂ ਬਿਚਾਰ ਕੈ ਕਲਿਕਾ ਲੀਜੈ ਭਾਇ ।ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮਾਰੈ ਈਟ ਢੀਮ ਪਾਥਰ ਹਨੈ ਰਿਸਾਇ ' ।24।
Dadu, in contemplating the state of our Age of Darkness, if one hits you with a mud brick, ferociously strike back with a stone bolder."

ਚੌਪਈ ।ਸੁਨਿ ਕਰਿ ਸਿੰਘਾ ਸਭਾ ਗਨ ਸਾਧੂ । 'ਨਹਿਂ ਸਹੀਅਹਿਂ ਦੁਸ਼ਟਨਿ ਅਪਰਾਧੂ ' ।ਹਸੇ ਸਕਲ ਹੀ ਮੋਦ ਬਢਾਇ । 'ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਬਚ ' ਕਹੇ ਸੁਨਾਇ ।25।
The congregation of Singhs and Sadhus [holy men] laughed and applauded the Guru with praise of 'Vah Vah' [astonishment], before they remarked, "We will not tolerate the wicked and evil doers".
Three Paths to Liberation and the Gobind Gita

ਸਤਿਸ਼੍ਰੀਅਕਾਲ

I can only imagine the government holding race-only events is rocket fuel for racist hate groups.

JIVANI: Trudeau administration funding racial segregation

I find it interesting that the story opinion piece does not identify the production that they claim will be excluding non-black persons from attending. Such requires a little perspective.

From the NAC site.

Black Out NAC​

On February 17, the evening’s performance of Is God Is will introduce the first of two Black Out nights that will be at the NAC this year. A Black Out is an open invitation to Black-identifying audiences to come and experience performances with their community. The evenings will provide a dedicated space for Black theatregoers to witness a show that reflects the vivid kaleidoscope that is the Black experience.

Creating evenings dedicated to Black theatregoers will allow for conversation and participation to be felt throughout the theatre and open the doors for Black-identifying audiences to experience the energy of the NAC with a shared sense of belonging and passion.

I had never heard of Black Out nights before, but apparently it is a thing.

WHAT IS A BLACK OUT?​

A BLACK OUT is the purposeful creation of an environment in which an all-Black-identifying audience can experience and discuss an event in the performing arts, film, athletic, and cultural spaces – free from the white gaze.

A concept birthed by Slave Play playwright Jeremy O. Harris, the inaugural BLACK OUT night took place on September 18, 2019. For the first time in history, all 804 seats of Broadway’s Golden Theatre were occupied by Black-identifying audience members in communion, celebration, and recognition of Broadway’s rich, diverse, and fraught history of Black work. Based on the success of the first BLACK OUT, Slave Play hosted a second BLACK OUT on January 8, 2020, to bookend its Broadway run. Since then, other BLACK OUT events have organically taken hold. It is our hope and intention that this site inspires, facilitates, and informs future BLACK OUT events and, in the words of Harris, that “this outreach will snowball into more representation of Black bodies, both onstage and off.”

Most of the comment to be immediately found on-line is similar to the Sun piece, but here is a different perspective.

And while I often find True North, et al (not that they are an outlet of choice for me) to have a selective focus on reporting, this piece does provide a more comprehensive explanation.

A screenshot from the third-party ticket sales website used by the NAC shared by Canadian journalist Jonathan Kay shows a notice saying the Feb. 17 show is “exclusively for Black audiences.” Kay was the first journalist to report on the dedicated performance.

However, the notice on Ticketmaster has since been changed to say the performance is “for Black-identifying audiences”, removing the word “exclusively” and adding the word “identifying.”
. . .
An NAC spokesperson confirmed to True North that the change to the notice was made, saying “the copy on Ticketmaster (which is on a third-party platform) was not aligned with our notice for ticket buyers and was asked to have it changed accordingly.”

The spokesperson also said that “there are no racially segregated shows at the NAC.”

“Of the nine performances of Is God Is, we have dedicated one performance to those who self-identify as Black and their guests. No one will be turned away at the door; there will be no checkpoints for Black Out Night ticket holders and no questions will be asked about anyone’s identity or race,” she added.

I tried to see what the "screening process" (if any) was for ticket sales, but that nights performance is sold out. There lots of seats available for the other performances.

I find it interesting that the story opinion piece does not identify the production that they claim will be excluding non-black persons from attending. Such requires a little perspective.

From the NAC site.

I had never heard of Black Out nights before, but apparently it is a thing.

Most of the comment to be found on-line is similar to the Sun piece, but here is a different perspective.

And while I often find True North, et al (not that they are an outlet of choice for me) to have a selective focus on reporting, this piece does provide a more comprehensive explanation.

I tried to see what the "screening process" (if any) was for ticket sales, but that nights performance is sold out. There lots of seats available for the other performances.
I know it's bad to generalize, but if I see [insert topic] from the Sun, I know I'll need to open another tab to read a more thorough background of the topic right afterwards.

I'm not sure if this clarifies things, but a tweet from NAC to Jonathan Kay:

Nice find, that probably gives them more legal coverage.

Having an event where attendees are supposed to be a certain race but covered with a DADT-style policy still doesn't seem inclusive. I think that still plays into white sup[remacist hands. I suspect a white couple self-identifying as black at that event might cause a ruckus. [edited out incorrect info]]

CAF wise I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of trial in the future where a recruit platoon is X-race in order to bring in more representation in the CAF or something along those lines. Maybe I'm too cynical but we have tried an all-female trial already.

CAF wise I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of trial in the future where a recruit platoon is X-race in order to bring in more representation in the CAF or something along those lines. Maybe I'm too cynical but we have tried an all-female trial already.
Been tried in Winnipeg with an Indigenous platoon and it did not work out very well. If I was asked I would not recommend a COA like this.

I'm not sure if this clarifies things, but a tweet from NAC to Jonathan Kay:

The shocking part for me is the use of the term "self identify" and that no one will be turned away.

Are we really reaching the point of racial fluidity where a person can identify as a race of their choosing ?

What will this do to racial minority movements ? We have already seen the divisions deepening in the feminist movements as self identifying women are taking more and more of a role.

Been tried in Winnipeg with an Indigenous platoon and it did not work out very well. If I was asked I would not recommend a COA like this.
Admittedly I have little knowledge aside from CAF media on this, but isn't that the same idea as Raven and the Army program (can't remember the name)?

The shocking part for me is the use of the term "self identify" and that no one will be turned away.

Are we really reaching the point of racial fluidity where a person can identify as a race of their choosing ?

What will this do to racial minority movements ? We have already seen the divisions deepening in the feminist movements as self identifying women are taking more and more of a role.

Truth be told many people may not identify with a specific racial or cultural profile.

. . . but we have tried an all-female trial already.

When I joined, the females were in female exclusive platoons (13, 14, 15) at Cornwallis. And then there were a couple of female exclusive trades (there were a lot of trades that didn't accept women); Oceanographic Operator and Nursing Assistant (the female equivalent of Med A, they became the same trade in the early 70s, but females couldn't go to field units until after SWINTER and CREW)

Truth be told many people may not identify with a specific racial or cultural profile.

So, is race just a social construct ? I mean if that's true, that could have a huge impact on society.

Absolutely 100% not trying to argue. I am just trying to understand that how all this is shaping and maneuvering.

Admittedly I have little knowledge aside from CAF media on this, but isn't that the same idea as Raven and the Army program (can't remember the name)?
There's a difference between entry training and employment constructs.

The Army program is AFAIK Bold Eagle and it works for a variety of reasons. I think most of their instructors are Indigenous themselves. I think Dangerboy can elaborate more on it.

The one in Winnipeg was not part of that program AFAIK.

It has nothing to do with racial fluidity, and everything to do with not breaking the law.

If the NAC placed rules on attendance that actually excluded particular races, they would be violating the Charter, so instead they use social pressure to encourage white people to self-select out of attendance... Kind of like how social pressure was used to prevent protestants and Catholics from marrying.

It has nothing to do with racial fluidity, and everything to do with not breaking the law.

If the NAC placed rules on attendance that actually excluded particular races, they would be violating the Charter, so instead they use social pressure to encourage white people to self-select out of attendance... Kind of like how social pressure was used to prevent protestants and Catholics from marrying.

I get it. But I've heard arguments for racial fluidity before.

Back