• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Man, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that second PER bun toss. I'd like to think I could put biases aside, but honestly that would piss me off if Ops did that after the pain of the first one and also gone to bat for log just on principle, regardless of who was "better".

When log works well, you don't appreciate it until you see a log unit that doesn't work (usually due to people vs workload).

Honestly though, wish I had done a promotion board a decade ago, it was genuinely eye opening. You realize how much bs you argue about on the bun toss doesn't matter, and how much using the right words in the PER text actually matters. Really curious what they'll do on PARs, and think it might actually make it harder for promotion boards.

After last year on the pilot I think i might put all my justification notes on the PAR as an FN; that way they can save time and not have to dig through a bunch of different FNs for whatever is used on the PAR. I suspect it will turn into PERs but without actual text to use when they get to the promotion board.

I think the unit wide ones were pretty silly, but again, in some cases worked in the individuals favour, as I remember the weather witch and firefighters on ship doing well in some cases where they wouldn't necessarily rank at all due to being 1 of 1 or 2 in the trade.
I was definitely one of the Weather Witches that benefitted from having support from higher while on ship. When you work alone in the chart shack, and nobody really understands what you do, it's easy for people to assume you do nothing.

pmd3ypddkql91.jpg

According to the brief I had a week or so ago, you are correct.

I think unit wide bun fights are ridiculous. For exactly the reasons you pointed out.

Of course, this is one of those things that PaCE should be doing better. Unit Potential Boards or whatever the hell they're renaming them to will end up ranking people, but that's largely going to be as a side effect of the potential ranking, and not necessarily as a direct bun fight.

I knew a few “fat” people in green DEU who were absolute bulls in the field.

The new dress regs that allow colours etc can be restricted by commanders when the operational requirement exists. No one will be giving away an O.P. with pink punker hair spikes, I reckon.

I'm often a bit chuffed when people bring out the whole "coloured hair can give away your position" line. Because, you know, what about redheads? My hair's purple, but it's a hell of a lot less visible than any natural ginger I know. Is it reasonable to force them to dye their hair?
but from what I can tell there is really no way to actually rank someone from the PARs other than pure scoring, so still unclear how the PARMon will work. Should be mostly administrative, but some kind of oversight would be useful for consistent scoring at the unit level. Especially as almost no one posted in has any FN in the system for the first half of the year, and there is no equivalent to posting PDRs outside PaCE (or options for folks OUTCAN etc that don't have DWAN).

Well PARMON itself will largely be limited to making sure that stuff's formatted properly before it gets signed off for either debrief to the member, or for forwarding on to the potential board as applicable.

Was weird at a promotion board seeing some units consistently scoring someone as the 2nd and 3rd coming of Jesus for basically doing their job, and someone else doing way above and beyond expectations in a different unit getting a lower score, so there was some interesting feedback to the CoC as a result. I think if promotion boards have to now look at FNs to figure that out it will actually make it harder and take longer.

The very good thing about PaCE is that for anything that you want to forward outside the unit, to the HLRRs, will basically only have the FNs to be going off of; thus only those folks who have actually demonstrated and documented the potential meta-competencies should be getting highly rated as such.

I do suspect there'll still be some inclination by people to try and inflate scores this year, and that we'll end up getting limits built into the system in the future restricting just how many folks COs can declare are operating in the top 10 20 30%, etc.

Probably Gen X

Infairness the mint green shirt is a sin against man, and what ever gods anyone ever worshipped. And that my friend is firmly on your generation.

All I want is a follow up policy banning the sale of mandatory uniform accoutrements for DEUs. “Welcome to the regiment, that’ll be 130 for your pins and buttons” shouldn’t be a thing.
Sole supplier(Regtl Kit Shop) . what POLICY?

The very good thing about PaCE is that for anything that you want to forward outside the unit, to the HLRRs, will basically only have the FNs to be going off of; thus only those folks who have actually demonstrated and documented the potential meta-competencies should be getting highly rated as such.

I do suspect there'll still be some inclination by people to try and inflate scores this year, and that we'll end up getting limits built into the system in the future restricting just how many folks COs can declare are operating in the top 10 20 30%, etc.

I don't see that as a good thing; you want people to read text we should have stuck with PERs. Those were a common format, linked to clear scores and a defined length.

PARs don't have any of that, and HLRRs don't have time to read FNs (which have no format or link to clear scores). On an HLRR you need about 5 minutes to get through 3 years of PERs and the MPRR, so there is zero time to read through FNs.

Even with clear instructions and several decades with the same basic format people were still screwing up PERs that were on the promotion boards. The next few years with PARs is going to be a disaster, good luck to the folks trying to get volunteers for those promotion boards.

I was definitely one of the Weather Witches that benefitted from having support from higher while on ship. When you work alone in the chart shack, and nobody really understands what you do, it's easy for people to assume you do nothing.
Somebody has to make the big waves and wind happen….it is not like it happens on its own…

:giggle:

Yeah, the older I got, the less tolerant I was to waves…

Funny, I'm the other way around. My first sail was miserable. I was almost put on PCAT for chronic. But the more time I spend at sea, the better my equilibrium gets. Around sea state 5 is where I get queasy now.

Funny, I'm the other way around. My first sail was miserable. I was almost put on PCAT for chronic. But the more time I spend at sea, the better my equilibrium gets. Around sea state 5 is where I get queasy now.
I used to think I didn't get sea sick (other than being a bit tired the first day out in a bit) then did a day sail on MCDVs! The period of roll on those is so short and brutal.

I used to think I didn't get sea sick (other than being a bit tired the first day out in a bit) then did a day sail on MCDVs! The period of roll on those is so short and brutal.

I was approached about an MCDV Cox'n position and I had to politely decline. While the weight loss program would be great, its not they way I want to do it lol

Sorry I don’t get the question.

There are free buttons and titles ect available to all members. Certain regiments make it their buisness to force their members to spend money on these items. To me that is absurd and those units / corps / branches should be ordered to cease this practice.

The intellectual property is own by the Government of Canada so unless permission is sought no 3rd party can sell the product. The CANEX usually has right of first refusal with the exception of unique unit/regt merchandise

"Branch, regimental, and group funds may establish kit shops to offer specialized
merchandise, unique to the branch, regiment or group. These kit shops can play a vital
role in the maintenance of branch, regiment or group traditions and through their profits
support branch, regimental or group activities"

Also key is that the demand for this sort of thing is quite low so less the CANEX or a unit likely nobody would want to sell the product

CHAPTER 6 BADGES AND MOTTOES
SECTION 3 - KIT SHOPS
Sorry I don’t get the question.

There are free buttons and titles ect available to all members. Certain regiments make it their buisness to force their members to spend money on these items. To me that is absurd and those units / corps / branches should be ordered to cease this practice.

While I agree with @markppcli that one should not be forced, there should be zero issue with better versions being avail if one wishes to purchase them.

While I agree with @markppcli that one should not be forced, there should be zero issue with better versions being avail if one wishes to purchase them.
Exactly. If people want the "nicer version", go ahead. But it should not be a "You've been posted to Unit X. Now pay up."

Back