• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave

I don't know how fair that comparison is though. Think of the bigger picture.

Civilian workplaces don't:
-call you at 5am and tell you to be at work for 6. Got kids? Drop em off at a neighbor's.
It was usually no jobs until next week. Then bam 1am call to be at work on the road by 3am location for 5am. Work 36hrs back the barn and repeat.
-order you to stay late after work, use your emergency family care plan to get your kids.
Always worked late in the Oil patch. No GAFs given by the employer. if you didn't like it there's the door.
-tell you you're being sent across the country for 3 months with a weeks notice.
I did not experience this myself but I had friends who worked over seas with a month on month off contract. If your relief did not show up you didn't go home. More then a few guys would work for a few months then come home.
-cancel your vacation last minute and jerk you around if you try and get compensated for canceled airfare or hotels.
Regular occurrence in the Oilfield. You worked when the work was there and took time off when it allowed. Especially worse when you work for a smaller company and your the Lead Operator/ Supervisor. You sitting on a beach in sunny Mexico meant your crew did not go to work.
-have the ability to put you in jail if you don't show up for work.
Fined, charged/jail for driving over weight, over hour'd, wrong paper work, wrong certs for equipment, one of your workers blows something up and injures someone.(no choice over who gets hired).
-force multiple jobs on you and make you work at a higher-ranked position without compensation.
Yup Worked as a lead hand, told to fire the supervisor if I felt he wasn't the right fit. Money talks and BS walks. Often I would be on a job as a Senior Hand/ Lead Operator and calling the shots as the Supervisor was out to lunch, inexperienced , so frazzled and or walked off the job. Rarely would you see the pay, sometimes you did. At the end of the day it meant the rest of the crew continued to work so it meant their families got to eat. I did the best job I could to keep things going.
I also don't think your civilian work has ever ordered you to pick up cigarette butts, garbage, or branches around your building.
LOL, how about mowing lawns, washing other operators trucks and equipment full of mud and garbage, cleaning drainage ditches, scrape paint with a 2 inch scraper for a object the size of a building, then paint it with a similar sized brush, climb scetchy ladders, run equipment that should have been in the scrap yard 20 years ago held together by bailing twine and duct tape.
No other workplace in Canada has the same control over its employees that the CAF does. Vacation days are on a different level for CAF members IMO.
LOL. you never worked the oilfield or heavy construction.

OT, mandated or voluntary, paid cash or lieu. Your choice.
Depending on your Work contract Union or non union. Some companies I worked for paid out and gave a day off in Lieu
OT on a Stat Holiday paid triple-time-and-a-half.
I wish only ever got double time. Except one time working in BC we got double time and half.
So, you could call in on days off and volunteer for OT. Then, refuse the cash, and take the lieu time.
(y)
Which meant they had to call in more OT. And so on, and so on, ...
The perpetual OT vortex. LOL

LOL, how about mowing lawns, washing other operators trucks and equipment full of mud and garbage, cleaning drainage ditches, scrape paint with a 2 inch scraper for a object the size of a building, then paint it with a similar sized brush, climb scetchy ladders, run equipment that should have been in the scrap yard 20 years ago held together by bailing twine and duct tape.

We had to wash, and detail, the old man's old lady's car whenever she decided to pull in.

My take on short leave (other than religious/spiritual observance) is that you don’t ask for it: the CoC will recommend short leave to the CO, or the CO will give you short to reward people for exemplary work, for working unusually long hours, or to tend to family-related obligations (although I encourage supervisors to deal with those in a more informal manner, such as providing flexible work arrangements around those obligations).
In some organizations (cough…Army…cough), they have the 24 days of Short Leave planned and pre-allocated throughout the year, so you don’t even have to worry about when you take your unasked short leave. 👍🏼

In some organizations (cough…Army…cough), they have the 24 days of Short Leave planned and pre-allocated throughout the year, so you don’t even have to worry about when you take your unasked short leave. 👍🏼
Good for them. If we do this in our unit, there are essential things (like providing Aerospace Control) that don’t get done. I can’t afford to give these folks to double their allocation of leave. And if I can’t fo it for one group, I don’t do it for anyone.

Only one ship is at an actual notice to move (the ready duty ship, and it's usually at 8hrs notice to move). But, every other shop in dockyard is expected to be able to stand up a dedicated force protection component within 4hrs of an increase in FP level, and that necessitates that all of their crew be contactable and available to be aboard within 4 hrs notice.
4 hours of the 8 hours notice for power is the flashup, but also includes restrictions on how many people can be out of area so that you can recall enough people to actually sail the ship, so you have to limit who is out of area so you can have a steaming watch available. Also really limits what work you can do, so being ready duty ship during a short work period is a killer as it means that no work can happen that will take more than 4 hours to button up and get the equipment back up.

The FP one is a lot more generous; you basically just need some bodies that can hold a rifle and stand in place to relieve the duty watch, so can be pretty much anyone. Although if you go to an enhanced FP state, having more than a 6 person duty watch also makes sense for the DC side of things.

Good for them. If we do this in our unit, there are essential things (like providing Aerospace Control) that don’t get done. I can’t afford to give these folks to double their allocation of leave. And if I can’t fo it for one group, I don’t do it for anyone.
…not a critique, just a note about how other organizations do it in the CAF. I think a balanced position is called for…not pre-planned look much of the Army does it, nor only at supervisors’ discretion, but something where members should feel comfortable with requesting short leave where there’s reasonable request for it (which would include situations outside of where a previously planned/authorized use of annual leave would be used). $0.02

In some organizations (cough…Army…cough), they have the 24 days of Short Leave planned and pre-allocated throughout the year,

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

24 short days, 25+ leave days. So if that’s actually a thing, you could theoretically work a four day week all year.

Having been the boss, it is also irritating to get to mid January and find people with 20 (plus) days of leave remaining….and no plan, whatsoever.

Like an RQ and CQ at a unit I look after who took the whole month March off.

Pro tip, SupTechs don't get leave in the last month of the fiscal year.

This thread has some excellent examples of not knowing your people and not supporting their health and welfare.

24 short days, 25+ leave days. So if that’s actually a thing, you could theoretically work a four day week all year.
Math says ‘yup’…

Your CO can authorize up to 2 short days a month.

The only times I've had a CO use them at every opportunity they could was in the Army.

I have grudging admiration for the way Andrew Leslie implemented sliders in the Army HQ: On the day before a long weekend, he'd take the HQ complete out on a 5K run. On a chit? Traffic control.

Once the last straggler crossed the finish line, there'd be a few words, and a dismissal (with the Army Officers' Mess having a convenient waiver for PT strip that day).

I have grudging admiration for the way Andrew Leslie implemented sliders in the Army HQ: On the day before a long weekend, he'd take the HQ complete out on a 5K run. On a chit? Traffic control.

Once the last straggler crossed the finish line, there'd be a few words, and a dismissal (with the Army Officers' Mess having a convenient waiver for PT strip that day).

That's so Army it makes the infantry jealous.

Be damned how hard you worked all week, want an afternoon off ? Let me run you for 5K and then force the mess on your first.

I got nothing against PT but it shouldn't be used as a barrier to time off.

The mess was optional.

But trying to build a culture of fitness is hard in a HQ. And better the boss saying "Th is for everyone" instead of playing favourites and having some folks never get the time.

The mess was optional.

But trying to build a culture of fitness is hard in a HQ. And better the boss saying "Th is for everyone" instead of playing favourites and having some folks never get the time.

I get ya.

I don't understand why. All it takes is an RO entry and some basic leadership.

Sliders wasn't the same as short leave.
I know but after the fact the CO could break up the 2 short day leave into 4 half days and put them on Fridays. Not a bad bit of compensation for how long you have to spend away from home port, so you get a little extra time off in home port.

Back