• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

As a complete outsider, I'm curious about how Canadian infantry proficiency compares to the US, not as a Canada Stronk point, but since they've got every possible resource available.

I'm assuming British infantry are in the same boat as Canadian, though perhaps not as underequipped.

From personal experience: All are excellent, if well led. All are awful, if poorly led ;)

With the Army getting old style khaki uniforms, how long do you think it will be before the RCAF decides that they should go back to their traditional uniform colour (i.e. dark blue-grey)? ;)

I have a feeling the RCAF would go to Hawaiian shirts and chinos for a dress uniform before they reverted to dark blue-grey
I don't recall much moaning when they got rid of the god-awful looking yellow (in no way was that colour gold) from their jackets and replaced it with the pearl grey. Maybe they bribed them with Lindor chocolates?
So I doubt many would even notice.

BTW, I guess to be more historically accurate, I should've stated, dark blue-grey for regular dress and khaki-tan for summer dress. The RCAF wore light green shirts with the khaki-tans. ;)

I think what they have now looks fine. Just need that spiffy attached cloth belt to finish it off. 😉

And my opinion is worth absolutely less than zilch since I never wore the RCAF uniform and never will.

I don't recall much moaning when they got rid of the god-awful looking yellow (in no way was that colour gold) from their jackets and replaced it with the pearl grey.
Yup. I'm not sure what colour-blind person thought that those two colours worked well together.

It's probably the same person who thought yellow and dark green go together. When Army officers went back to pips and crowns, I was expecting NCM ranks to go to some other colour as well.

Yup. I'm not sure what colour-blind person thought that those two colours worked well together.

It's probably the same person who thought yellow and dark green go together. When Army officers went back to pips and crowns, I was expecting NCM ranks to go to some other colour as well.
I pray to God that they move to a white Herring bone for the Khaki Service Dress.

Hey, if it’s good enough for the US Army (in 1968), it’s good enough for the CAF! ;)

1680048026529.jpeg

Hey, if it’s good enough for the US Army (in 1968), it’s good enough for the CAF! ;)

View attachment 77002
No offense to the folks who lived during that time, but I wouldn't point to the late 60s as a great time for men's fashion.

0*dGhA7MTnjXjur2D7.jpg

No offense to the folks who lived during that time, but I wouldn't point to the late 60s as a great time for men's fashion.

0*dGhA7MTnjXjur2D7.jpg

Couldn't agree more. That's when this travesty happened:

1680051418029.jpeg

Aren't we all pretty - and so egalitarian.

🍻

Just swap the forage cap for a beret and you have today’s army DEU!
It's probably not that obvious from the photo, but the officer on the right is from the Queen's Own Rifles, the middle guy a sailor and the one on the left air force (or air command).

The collar dogs were originally environmental and quickly swapped out in the army for unit ones. Note there was no maple leaf on the sergeants stripes then and we had no epaulets. The original shoulder title was "Canada" which was also quickly swapped out for regimental ones. The buttons were a tri-service logo on them and, again, quickly swapped out with regimental ones. Berets came in slowly. In the legal branch we had to wear forage caps in court until the 1990s. No matter what shape your body, the white plastic parade belt looked like crap. And don't get me started on the shapeless shirts.

We started peacocking and tweaking the thing almost from the day that it came out.

One good thing. They came in summer and winter weight cloth at the time albeit the summer one didn't keep its shape as well as the winter one.

🍻

0*dGhA7MTnjXjur2D7.jpg
Mid 60's there was still some class, but after PET was sworn in as PM it all went to shit.

0b63ccb21d50a27ec03d1ef0f2276bbc.jpg

Can you guys that are still in get issued those fur hats we had in the 70s? LCol Gollner ordered us to wear them in the 76-77 winter season.

It was delightful.

Back