Author Topic: VOT from Marine Engineer to Combat Arms  (Read 4038 times)

Offline charlie64

• Rate Post
VOT from Marine Engineer to Combat Arms
« on: February 02, 2013, 15:17:45 »
I'll start by saying that I have long been a quiet reader of these forums and this is my first post. As my subject implies I am an Able Seaman, marine engineer that very much would like to get into a combat arms trade (ideally infantry or armoured). I would have gone this route when I originally enlisted if not for the fact that I was a V4 at the time. Now, after laser surgery I am a V1 and I am otherwise physically up to the task. My problem is that I don't know if this is a realistic aspiration at this point. I see a lot of guys coming the opposite way (there are quite a few ex-infanteers in my trade) and I am worried that the combat arms are downsizing rather than taking new recruits. My trade's status is complicated; we have a severe shortage of technicians (LS-MS) but an overabundance of mechanics (OS-LS). If I don't get out of this trade soon (before they make me go on a tech course) I might be stuck. I've seriously considered applying to CSOR, but I think it would make a lot more sense to go infantry first - if they're hiring. Does anyone have some insights as to whether any combat trades would be open or not? Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: VOT from Marine Engineer to Combat Arms
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 15:45:04 »
1.  Check the 2013 CANFORGENs, the FY 13/14 Annual Voluntary Occupaton Transfer Program (AVOTP) competition message just got put up last week.

2.  Read CFAO 11-12.  Understand it, it is the policy for Reg Force NCM Remuster/OT and will tell you if you meet the requirements and what the requirements are.

Also, even if your trade is RED, 0.5% is allowed to OT out every year.  As for if Inf and Armd are taking OTs this year, not sure and as of late last week, I wasn't able to find the SIP for 13/14 with the interal #s.  And...if you want to apply for AVOTP and meet the requirements detailed in the CANFORGEN and regs, your CofC can't say "no". 

* I think the 13/14 AVOTP message said "all trades are open for OT in" but...am not 100% certain. 

** the Officer VOT Competition message is up as well for those interested.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 15:49:09 by Eye In The Sky »
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline charlie64

• Rate Post
Re: VOT from Marine Engineer to Combat Arms
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 19:35:14 »
Thanks Eye. I will be checking out those publications with due haste.