Author Topic: Interspecies Cooperation  (Read 1673 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Interspecies Cooperation
« on: August 23, 2018, 19:12:58 »
Quite a great story how the mother whale used a fishing boat to help ward off male whales oddly enough she was protected by dolphins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6089189/Pod-heroic-dolphins-filmed-defending-humpback-calf-Sunny-five-male-whales.html

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Interspecies Cooperation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:42:05 »
Ahhh, saw the title and thought  'another Shilo story'?  :not-again:

:rofl:

Good story and great video.  :nod:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:52:13 by recceguy »
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03:30 »
Ahhh, saw the title and thought  'another Shilo story'?  :not-again:

:rofl:

Good story and great video.  :nod:

I was thinking it was something about aliens running the White House...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:48:05 »
We tossed the new guy off the cutter (in a survival suit) as part of our man overboard drill, a bunch of Pacific Whiteside dolphins detached from their pod, rushed over to him, circled him, then raced over to the cutter, circled us and went back to him. Telling us where he was. I guess they feel sorry for us when they see us swimming.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 16:51:54 »
We tossed the new guy off the cutter (in a survival suit) as part of our man overboard drill, a bunch of Pacific Whiteside dolphins detached from their pod, rushed over to him, circled him, then raced over to the cutter, circled us and went back to him. Telling us where he was. I guess they feel sorry for us when they see us swimming.

If you want to feel really inadequate in the water, scuba dive near a Sea Lion colony...
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 23:15:05 »
If you want to feel really inadequate in the water, scuba dive near a Sea Lion colony...

Used to love covering night dives at FDU(P) when some of the leopard seals would come in to investigate the humanoids swimming around and bump them in the dark...there's video on a TDV episode about clearance divers where a dude I know was being raced by one of the seals as he was doing a morning open water swim circuit.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 18:48:48 »

Coast Guard asked us to inspect the Sandhead light station at the end of the South Fraser breakwater. As this was the time of year the male sea lions gather as they prepare to mate. We said not bloody likely.....

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 00:31:35 »
Coast Guard asked us to inspect the Sandhead light station at the end of the South Fraser breakwater. As this was the time of year the male sea lions gather as they prepare to mate. We said not bloody likely.....

Diving around Race Rocks reminds me of being a B-17 over the target in 12 O'clock High :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon