Author Topic: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation  (Read 8596 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 211RadOp

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • 28,453
  • Rate Post
  • Posts: 939
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 08:03:24 »
The youth has been arrested for breaching his conditions.

Quote
Youth charged with terrorism arrested for breaching release conditions

  Steph Crosier 

Published on: April 23, 2019 | Last Updated: April 23, 2019 3:12 PM EDT

A 16-year-old youth charged by police with several terrorism-related offences was rearrested by Kingston Police for breaching his release conditions and for mischief.

The youth was arrested on Jan. 24, following a significant Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigation. He spent 68 days in custody at a youth detention centre before being released on bail earlier this month.

Kingston Police said he was arrested by a patrol unit. Kingston Police Const. Ash Gutheinz said the youth was arrested on Sunday and is facing additional charges of breaching his recognizance and mischief. He could not specify which of his release conditions were breached. The youth was scheduled for bail court on Tuesday and was remanded back into custody. He is scheduled to reappear on April 30 via video.

As reported previously in the Whig-Standard, the conditions of his bail release required him to live with one of his guarantors and forbid him being outside his residence unless accompanied by one of them. His access to the internet and devices capable of accessing the internet was prohibited, and he was forbidden from possessing weapons, as defined by the Criminal Code, which included ammunition, explosives and anything else used or intended to be used to cause death or injury or to threaten or intimidate another person, even if that thing was not originally designed to be a weapon. He was also forbidden from leaving the province. He was required to surrender his passport if he had one and was to be fitted with an ankle monitor.

The teen is currently facing charges of facilitating a terrorist activity between Dec. 20 last year and Jan. 22 this year; counselling another person to deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device with intent to cause death or serious injury; making, or having possession, care or control of an explosive substance with intent to cause injury to life or damage to property; intent to cause an explosion likely to cause death, serious injury or damage to property; and threatening a special constable. The charges have not been proven in court.

https://thewhig.prod.postmedia.digital/news/local-news/youth-charged-with-terrorism-arrested-for-breaching-release-conditions/wcm/75ecaef5-36bb-441a-bd0b-b61eabec4e03
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline 211RadOp

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • 28,453
  • Rate Post
  • Posts: 939
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 09:20:38 »
The charge of uttering threats has been dropped against him.

Quote
Charge dropped against teen accused in terror probe: other charges remain

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:40PM EDT 

KINGSTON, Ont. - Prosecutors have dropped one of the charges against a youth accused in a terrorism investigation in Kingston, Ont.

His lawyer, Simon Borys, says the charge of uttering threats was withdrawn in a court hearing on Wednesday.

The teen was charged in January with terror and bomb-related offences.

He was charged in March with further bomb-related offences as well as the now-withdrawn threats offence.

Police charged him about month after that with mischief and breach of bail.

Borys said they hope to proceed with a preliminary inquiry on the terrorism charges early next year.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/charge-dropped-against-teen-accused-in-terror-probe-other-charges-remain-1.4588909

“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline 211RadOp

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • 28,453
  • Rate Post
  • Posts: 939
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 08:02:59 »
Heard on the radio this morning that he is expected to plead guilty to the charges at his next appearance in February.  Crown is asking for him to be sentenced as a adult to life while his defence is asking to be sentenced as a youth to the maximum of 3 years.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Bread Guy

  • Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • *
  • 455,400
  • Rate Post
  • Posts: 22,958
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 20:28:45 »
Heard on the radio this morning that he is expected to plead guilty to the charges at his next appearance in February.  Crown is asking for him to be sentenced as a adult to life while his defence is asking to be sentenced as a youth to the maximum of 3 years.
The latest:  not quite yet according to one of his lawyers ...
Quote
An anticipated guilty plea for the youth accused of terrorist activity in Kingston, Ont., has been deferred until early April, according to the teen’s counsel.

The youth, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was scheduled to be in court Wednesday for an “anticipated guilty plea,” but Simon Borys, one of the lawyers representing the accused, said they have deferred the case until April 7.

The teen was originally arrested in Kingston Jan. 29, 2019, following RCMP raids in the city.

He was initially charged with knowingly facilitating terrorist activity and counselling someone to use an explosive or other lethal device to cause death or serious bodily injury.

During his bail hearing, which took place over three days, he was additionally charged with allegedly possessing explosive materials and for taking action to cause an explosion.

(...)

The youth’s case was originally being dealt with in Kingston, but was moved recently to Belleville, since the Quinte Courthouse had more amenities, like more courtrooms and better security screening.

Borys told Global News that the case is now being handled by Justice Elaine Deluzio, rather than Justice Stephen Hunter, who is soon set to retire.

The teen’s counsel would not comment on what he thought the conditions of the plea would be or what kind of sentencing might be anticipated if a guilty plea was indeed entered early April.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline 211RadOp

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • 28,453
  • Rate Post
  • Posts: 939
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 10:26:17 »
Quote
Kingston teen accused in terror plot to plead guilty; agreed statement of facts should solve mystery of RCMP raids

When the teen was arrested, the RCMP refused to hint at what sort of ideology the accused allegedly tilted towards

Adrian Humphreys Adrian Humphreys

Published on: June 16, 2020 | Last Updated: June 16, 2020 3:55 PM EDT

A Kingston, Ont., teenager facing four terrorism charges plans to enter a guilty plea in two weeks when an agreed statement of facts will be presented to an Ontario judge, court heard Tuesday.

Tom Lemon, a Crown prosecutor in the case, said he would be seeking an adult sentence in the matter.

A guilty plea was expected at Tuesday afternoon’s hearing, held remotely from Belleville, Ont., courthouse, but competing commitments by the defence lawyers and the need to go over the agreed statement with the accused using an Arabic interpreter caused the delay, Judge Elaine Deluzio said.

Prosecutors did not object to adjourning until June 30 provided the accused acknowledged an intention to enter a guilty plea, registered his choice to proceed in the Ontario Court of Justice and waived any potential claim of delay in his court process.

Simon Borys, lawyer for the youth, accepted the conditions.

“We agree to the adjournment, or jointly submitting the request for an adjournment, to the 30th with the intention to do the plea then,” Borys told court.

It was not revealed what charges would be covered by the plea.

More at link

https://www.thewhig.com/news/canada/kingston-teen-accused-in-terror-plot-to-plead-guilty/wcm/e1ccdfdd-aef5-45ff-adde-8336f085fc81
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James