Author Topic: The US Presidency 2020  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: The US Presidency 2020
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2020, 09:54:39 »
With one small exception. The JAG, like the CDS, is a Governor in Council appointment....
I believe he was referring to real  military officers.   :whistle:

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2020, 10:12:00 »
I believe he was referring to real  military officers.   :whistle:

Oh wow. That burns. She was a Naval Reservist once, just so that you know.  ;)

In Trumpian news:

Trump’s Trade War Will Cost Average Family $1,277 This Year, Budget Office Reveals
The extra costs will effectively wipe out savings from the President’s tax cuts.
by Mary Papenfuss

President Donald Trump’s ongoing trade wars are expected to cost the average American family $1,277 this year, according to a study by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

The figure is based on the negative impact of tariffs on economic growth as well as higher prices to consumers as American manufacturers and retailers are forced to pay tariffs on imports.

Trump has boasted that trade wars are “easy to win,” and has repeatedly falsely insisted that China is paying tariffs directly into the U.S. Treasury. In fact, American companies importing goods or supplies pay tariffs enacted by Trump, and typically pass on those costs to consumers. In addition, U.S. industries are hurt by retaliatory tariffs enacted by other nations when American companies try to sell their products abroad.

See rest of article here:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cbo-1277-trump-trade-war-cost_n_5e3f5db1c5b6f1f57f125dfe
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2020, 10:30:03 »
I am pretty sure that the Budget Office is part of the Deep State that is trying to steal the guns of patriots as part of the Communist Manifesto to ruin America.

:pullhair: :panic:

Besides, the report is in the Huffington Post - essentially Pravda for the Communists. 

:sarcasm:

+1,200 / -300
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:47 »
Shades of SNC Lavalin, except done in the open, over twitter, and not for jobs but for a personal friend.

Federal prosecutors recommend 7-9 years for Roger Stone, Trump goes on twitter and blasts the recommendation, the justice department goes against the recommendation, the entire federal prosecution team quits in protest. President Trump then thanks the justice department for softening the sentencing for his personal friend.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-stone-sentence-justice-department-1.5461567

So again, shades of SNC Lavalin if that scandal was worse, in the open, and done for reasons of personal interest with nothing gained for America.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:50 »
President Trump then thanks the justice department for softening the sentencing for his personal friend.

Trump has long believed the Department of Justice exists to protect his friends and punish his enemies.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/13/trump-gets-barr-favor-roger-stone-threatens-justice-system-column/4738904002/

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 13:31:36 »
>Federal prosecutors recommend 7-9 years for Roger Stone, Trump goes on twitter and blasts the recommendation, the justice department goes against the recommendation, the entire federal prosecution team quits in protest. President Trump then thanks the justice department for softening the sentencing for his personal friend.

Are you certain that is a correct representation of what happened?  Extracted from here is another:

"Yet, as per usual, there is no evidence, and the president has denied, that he spoke to anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice about Stone’s sentencing. The New York Times reported that a DOJ spokesperson confirmed the DOJ did not consult with the White House regarding their revised recommendation to the court. That spokesperson also said Barr was not aware of the president’s tweet and that the decision to reel in the earlier sentencing recommendation had been made prior to Trump’s tweet."

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 13:48:49 »
>Federal prosecutors recommend 7-9 years for Roger Stone, Trump goes on twitter and blasts the recommendation, the justice department goes against the recommendation, the entire federal prosecution team quits in protest. President Trump then thanks the justice department for softening the sentencing for his personal friend.

Are you certain that is a correct representation of what happened?  Extracted from here is another:

"Yet, as per usual, there is no evidence, and the president has denied, that he spoke to anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice about Stone’s sentencing. The New York Times reported that a DOJ spokesperson confirmed the DOJ did not consult with the White House regarding their revised recommendation to the court. That spokesperson also said Barr was not aware of the president’s tweet and that the decision to reel in the earlier sentencing recommendation had been made prior to Trump’s tweet."

7-9 years for a process crime ? Many criminals don't get that much time. The President might as well pardon Stone since the Democrats are in fulln cry anyway. I can see this as a new impeachment issue.
+300

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 13:49:32 »

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-federalist/

That particular source is not really known for its factual reporting. 
+300
Optio

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2020, 13:56:30 »

I don't think its normal for a entire persecution team to quit.

Nor a president to tweet about the potential sentence.

Nor for the president to say that he didn't get involved but he would totally be allowed to interfere with the DOJ if he wanted to.
+600

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2020, 13:59:17 »

"Yet, as per usual, there is no evidence, and the president has denied, that he spoke to anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice about Stone%u2019s sentencing. The New York Times reported that a DOJ spokesperson confirmed the DOJ did not consult with the White House regarding their revised recommendation to the court. That spokesperson also said Barr was not aware of the president%u2019s tweet and that the decision to reel in the earlier sentencing recommendation had been made prior to Trump%u2019s tweet."
Everything I said is part of the public record.

While I cannot speak to what happened behind closed doors, this does not pass the smell test.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 14:11:33 by Altair »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2020, 14:07:37 »
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-federalist/

That particular source is not really known for its factual reporting.

Overall, we rate The Federalist a borderline Questionable and far Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that always favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion pseudoscience and three failed fact checks.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2020, 14:17:21 »
I don't think its normal for a entire persecution team to quit.

Nor a president to tweet about the potential sentence.

Nor for the president to say that he didn't get involved but he would totally be allowed to interfere with the DOJ if he wanted to.

Persecution team... :rofl:
Optio

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2020, 14:24:08 »
If you’re a Trump fan republican, that pretty much sums up their view of it all.
Happy New Year!!

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2020, 14:29:15 »
I can see this as a new impeachment issue.

Dr. Freud defined insanity as doing the same thing again, but expecting a different result.  :)

Another Senate trial with no witnesses allowed?

A long-term problem for Democrats: a majority of the Senate now represents 18% of the country’s population.
https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1031637719427018757?lang=en

And, 60% of the Senate now represents just 24% of the country’s population.
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1031639944551378944
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 15:39:49 by mariomike »

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2020, 16:15:36 »
>That particular source is not really known for its factual reporting. 

And there it is.  You guys never disappoint me.

What would be relevant is to disprove one or more of the following (eg. reported remarks not in fact reported; reported remarks reported incorrectly; remarks as reported made inaccurately or falsely; events as reported never took place):

- there is no evidence, and the president has denied, that he spoke to anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice about Stone's sentencing

- The New York Times reported that a DOJ spokesperson confirmed the DOJ did not consult with the White House regarding their revised recommendation to the court.

- That spokesperson also said Barr was not aware of the president's tweet

- and that the decision to reel in the earlier sentencing recommendation had been made prior to Trumps tweet.

Isn't the NYT a "green box" source?
+300

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2020, 16:17:52 »
>Everything I said is part of the public record.

Every lie, misrepresentation, and conspiracy theory ever published is also part of the public record.  You do see why "part of the public record" is not an assertion of trustworthiness?

Despair is a sin.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2020, 16:52:54 »
In today's news,

Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13/trump-new-york-investigations-114991

President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

I can see this as a new impeachment issue.

The House can impeach him. But, removal seems to be an exercise in futility as long as Republicans control the Senate.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 20:14:59 by mariomike »

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2020, 20:22:38 »
This issue with New York state is a national security issue. Giving illegal aliens a drivers license that would enable them to board a plane. The State then defies Federal law enforcement about sharing information on said persons. Looks to me like a huge security gap that a terrorist would exploit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 22:11:40 by tomahawk6 »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2020, 20:45:44 »
Regarding New York State prosecutors,

13 Feb., 2020
Trump links travel programme ban with bid to unearth his tax returns
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-travel-ban-tax-returns-cuomo-new-york-lawsuit-a9334946.html

New York state prosecutors are trying to obtain eight years of president's tax records

Regarding Rudy,

February 13, 2020

Trump contradicts past denials, admits sending Giuliani to Ukraine
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/politics/trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-interview/index.html

Washington (CNN) — Emboldened after his impeachment acquittal, President Donald Trump now openly admits to sending his attorney Rudy Giuliani to Ukraine to find damaging information about his political opponents, even though he strongly denied it during the impeachment inquiry.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 21:57:50 by mariomike »

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2020, 00:19:14 »
You just can't make this stuff up, folks.

Barr says Trump tweets 'make it impossible to do my job' amid Roger Stone drama
By Gregg Re | Fox News

The White House says President Trump isn't "bothered" or deterred after Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that the president's tweets "make it impossible for me to do my job," in an unusual swipe at the president -- although Barr emphasized that Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case."

Barr's unexpected comments came days after Trump, in a late-night tweet earlier this week, criticized career Justice Department prosecutors for recommending a nine-year prison sentence for his former advisor Roger Stone. Senior DOJ leaders then intervened and adjusted the sentencing recommendation downward, saying it was clearly excessive given Stone's obstruction-related offenses. All four prosecutors on the case stepped down within hours.

"I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases," Barr said. "I'm not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president.”

Barr continued, "I'm gonna do what I think is right, and you know... I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me."

The attorney general said he could not "assure the courts and the prosecutors and the department that we're doing our work with integrity" if the White House appeared involved in DOJ decisionmaking for political or personal reasons.

Barr said he was "of course" ready for blowback from Trump for his comments, although he said he was focused only on doing his job. South Carolina GOP. Sen. Lindsey Graham quickly tweeted support for Barr, saying Barr has his "complete confidence" and that the president did a "a great service" to the DOJ and the "nation as a whole" by appointing Barr.

In response, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said Trump "wasn’t bothered" by Barr's remarks, even as she defended the president's social media use.

“The president wasn’t bothered by the comments at all and he has the right, just like any American citizen, to publicly offer his opinions," Grisham said. "President Trump uses social media very effectively to fight for the American people against injustices in our country, including the fake news.  The President has full faith and confidence in Attorney General Barr to do his job and uphold the law."

See rest here:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bill-barr-trump-tweets-roger-stone

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2020, 04:14:34 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2vGMjJplTI

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought it could be relevant to this thread regardless.

I've given up on following American politics, and have mostly given up on following this thread.  Everything about American politics can be sensationalized, with short-tempered snitty comments made by either side.  Easy to do when both sides have a lot to answer for.

I thought this was an interesting insight into Washington though....maybe the corruption is too intense, too deep, too self serving, and too protecting of itself for there to ever be real change? 

Unfortunately, guys like Congressman Trey Gowdy & company - whom I wish we could just clone - hate it there, and have publicly stated they can't wait until they never have to go to Washington again.  That says something right there.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2020, 06:05:38 »

See rest here:

Barr says Trump tweets 'make it impossible to do my job' amid Roger Stone drama

"I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases," Barr said.

Saw this on Twitter,

This Barr interview is DeNiro in Goodfellas yelling at Johnny Roastbeef for buying his wife a Cadillac after the Lufthansa heist.
https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1228067340467740673

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:27 »

See rest here:

Sounds like political interference to me.

Sounds like SNC Lavalin except instead of a pressure campaign done over the phone and behind closed doors its was being done over twitter.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2020, 09:17:03 »
Unfortunately, guys like Congressman Trey Gowdy & company - whom I wish we could just clone - hate it there, and have publicly stated they can't wait until they never have to go to Washington again. 

Since then,

... joined Fox News as a contributor. In October 2019, he announced he was joining President Donald Trump's legal team and because of conflict of interest would no longer serve as a contributor to Fox News. However, Gowdy's proposed move to join the lawyers defending Trump was scuttled a few days later over concerns that he would be acting in violation of anti-lobbying laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Gowdy#Presidential_politics

Trey Gowdy joins Fox News as a contributor
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/427673-trey-gowdy-joins-fox-news-as-a-contributor

Fox News terminates Trey Gowdy as he joins Trump’s legal team
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/09/fox-terminates-trey-gowdy-amid-reports-he-joined-trumps-legal-team.html

Inside Trump’s Botched Attempt to Hire Trey Gowdy
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/us/politics/trey-gowdy-trump-impeachment.html?searchResultPosition=1

10 Questions for Trey Gowdy
https://www.justsecurity.org/66613/10-questions-for-trey-gowdy/

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2020, 11:51:59 »
>Sounds like SNC Lavalin except instead of a pressure campaign done over the phone and behind closed doors its was being done over twitter.

Trump can't tweet backwards in time.  I've been looking for evidence that the DoJ's decision was taken after the decision maker(s) heard from Trump and haven't found any yet.   That doesn't disprove interference theories, but is a necessary (if insufficient) piece of evidence such theories should have.

Trump can pardon Stone without giving any reason, and knows he can issue pardons and has no need to avail himself of any lesser means.

Trump tweets irritating nonsense frequently; moreover, he does it without people acting on it as if Trump is Henry II.

The reason stated by the DoJ for the reassessment is legitimate; there is disagreement among lawyers as to whether the request was unusually punitive so it is not a settled matter that DoJ would have ignored it.

The mundane explanation - the DoJ did its thing, while Trump separately did his thing - is more reasonable.

Despair is a sin.