Author Topic: ReEnroll with Prior Service / VFS [Merged]  (Read 442033 times)

Offline CaptainCookieMonster

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: ReEnroll with Prior Service / VFS [Merged]
« Reply #1025 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:00 »
Disagreement with other people’s worldview seems unavoidable. By virtue of the content of my belief system, I might put myself in ideological opposition with someone who takes up another.

It seems to me the initiative in question is to mitigate how we approach the workplace with our respective values so as to not unnecessarily offend others. We all know how easily religion and politics are topics to be avoided in polite discussion, which is why I offer the caveat to keep sensitive talk amongst trusted groups, where it will not erode a workplace.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1026 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:21 »
It seems to me the initiative in question is to mitigate how we approach the workplace with our respective values so as to not unnecessarily offend others.

If that's what you think is the point of the "initiative" (it is in fact a full fledged operation), then you've definitely missed the mark. The purpose of Operation Honour is:

Operation HONOUR is the Canadian Armed Forces’ (CAF) mission to eliminate harmful and inappropriate sexual behaviour in the Canadian military.

Operation HONOUR is based on the principles that:
•every man and woman who serves their country deserves to be treated with dignity and respect – anything less is simply unacceptable
•any attitudes or behaviours which undermine the camaraderie, cohesion and confidence of serving members threatens the CAF’s long-term operational success

It's sad that we need a named operation to achieve this goal, because this should just be common human decency.

So, if you have opinions/world views that would be contrary to these goals (for example, perhaps you have an opinion that certain sexes, genders, races, etc. should not be treated with the same dignity and respect as some of the others), then we definitely don't want you in the Forces.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1027 on: May 01, 2019, 10:07:01 »
Whoa!

I definitely don’t disagree with any of what you cited. I take a libertarian position on these issues, where we should all be free to pursue our own idea of health wealth and happiness, so long as we don’t step on each other’s toes in the process.

All I am saying is we, as humans, will naturally hold views contrary to one another, and the initiative in question here seems to be interested in affording us all dignity no matter what we hold in terms of sexuality, religion, or otherwise.

I am on board with this, but not if it is to the exclusion of me having opinions and thoughts of my own—just within the workplace we keep certain matters and disagreements to ourselves and act charitably toward one another off campus.

I hope this elucidates my understanding of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1028 on: May 01, 2019, 17:07:38 »
You're entitled to your thoughts and feelings; however obviously something in your blog went against the intent of Operation Honour (sidenote: thank you Lumber for calling it "Operation Honour" - to CaptainCookieMonster, Operation Honour is not short formed to "Op"). 

I have been a member of the CAF for over 20 years and I have my own opinions and feelings, Operation Honour doesn't stop you from having your own opinions.  What it does is make you accountable if you are to say or write stuff that is contrary to the intent of the Operation, thus bringing discredit upon the Member and the CAF.

In your post you even state you criticized another religion.  Why? What was the purpose of criticizing a religion? This is the point of Operation Honour; it's about inclusion, not exclusion.
+100

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1029 on: May 01, 2019, 17:52:24 »

In your post you even state you criticized another religion.  Why? What was the purpose of criticizing a religion? This is the point of Operation Honour; it's about inclusion, not exclusion.

Yes, I criticized another religion, but as a Christian apologist, although in somewhat of a spicy fashion, but not as bad as you might imagine. Forgive me for not elaborating. I owned up to my words and acknowledge them as against the CF Ethos, I did my time and understand why intended members of certain jobs need to keep quiet and not be outspoken.
I sought out fellow Christians who were professors for counsel and they suggested I take more of a tentative and charitable approach to these matters, because people are on the end of these ideas, people with feelings of their own. I heeded their wisdom and am ready to move on.

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1030 on: May 01, 2019, 18:13:18 »
Also, forgive my abbreviation. I just remember everything in the army being truncated as much as possible, to the point of it almost being unintelligible.