Author Topic: Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF  (Read 129639 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2014, 22:41:35 »
From my girlfriend, a Sig O:

1) French braids are fine; tuck excessive length back up underneath the braid and pin it back (although this reg may have changed, you may be able to wear the braid down);

When in doubt, ask your CoC. Or someone in your OR. There's bound to be a female around or someone in the know.

Braids are fine down until the length reaches the top of your armpits.  Then your hair must be totally tucked up under, cut, or bunned.  I am amazed at the amount of females I've had to correct who simply "fold" their braid at the point where it reaches their armpits to try to "hide excess length" - that's not acceptable and contravenes dress regs.

Tucking the entire hanging-braided portion of a french braid under the "well" created at the base of your head (ie:  so that no braid is hanging at all) is acceptable.

When in doubt - ask your MWO/SSM/RSM - it is their actual job to know and enforce this stuff.  For officers, it is the Adjutant (if your female officer friend is not the Adjt, then her thoughts on dress don't matter much as it's not her job to know).  The adjutant is also who I go to see when I have an officer who doesn't feel they have to consider "polite advice" from myself.

When I was posted to the Det where you are now (left in 2007), - your Adjt was an ex RegF RSM.  If he's still there, ask him; he'll know. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 22:49:49 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2014, 09:13:00 »
Braids are fine down until the length reaches the top of your armpits.  Then your hair must be totally tucked up under, cut, or bunned.  I am amazed at the amount of females I've had to correct who simply "fold" their braid at the point where it reaches their armpits to try to "hide excess length" - that's not acceptable and contravenes dress regs.

The sailor in me read that, and I said to myself "What about a back splice?".   ;)

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2014, 09:16:57 »
I swear, braiding is some special, magical skill passed from mother to daughter, which utterly confuse the male of the human species for time eternal. My girlfriend is a braider extraordinaire. I can barely manage a proper ponytail when doing my 3 year old's hair after bath time...
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2014, 10:43:48 »
The sailor in me read that, and I said to myself "What about a back splice?".   ;)

Well the troops got to shave my head bald back in December (cost them 10 grand for United Way though - at which they succeeded in raising dammit) but when it grows out I might try the splice, :blotto:
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:15 »
Make sure you get the rum to go with your splice Vern.  ;D
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline TheNetworkGirl

• Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2015, 16:33:22 »
I am trying not to repeat questions, but I have been searching this inquiry and am unable to find a sufficient answer. I leave for BMQ on February 14th. I am female and have very short hair. (Shaved slightly in the back, and longer on the top.) Are they more lenient on females when it comes to short hair? I do have bangs, but I can pin them to the side if needed.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2015, 16:54:44 »
Are they more lenient on females when it comes to short hair?

As long as your hair is within regulation you will be fine.  This thread should have all the answers about what is regulation hair: https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13144.0.html
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2015, 17:22:44 »
This thread should have all the answers about what is regulation hair: https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13144.0.html

Six more pages,

Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,35327.0.html

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 17:28:46 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline macmar

• Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2015, 12:24:39 »
I'm in basic right now with medium length hair. A little too short to make a bun, a little too long to leave down.  I was told I had to get my wispies under control too(dang short temple curlies coming out to play in the rain). Prior to this hair, I always had similar to the attached photos(a touch shorter though)

Will that be an appropriate hair cut to go back to? At longest it's chin length in the front and the back is just cut tight.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2015, 12:41:37 »
I would say make sure the length of the sides closer to the length of the back.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:28 »
As long as you pull your hair away from your face and behind your ears there shouldn't be a problem.  I've seen this style quite a bit.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline macmar

• Rate Post
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2015, 13:29:39 »
Wonderful. I'll shorten the front and be sure to keep it tucked!

Thanks to you both.

Offline tinafahie

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2015, 17:51:33 »
I am trying not to repeat questions, but I have been searching this inquiry and am unable to find a sufficient answer. I leave for BMQ on February 14th. I am female and have very short hair. (Shaved slightly in the back, and longer on the top.) Are they more lenient on females when it comes to short hair? I do have bangs, but I can pin them to the side if needed.
Hey I also leave for bmq on the 14th where do you fly out of? I haven't sworn in yet I do that on the 12th.

Offline VGlaub

• Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:46 »
Hi all!

Let me start by saying sorry if this has already been answered. I did do a search and nothing came up.

My ladies with curly hair who have been to bmq or are there right now. Im on the fence about bringing a hair straightener. Not to straighten my hair every day. Ain't nobody got time for that. But I have baby hairs all around my face and with them being curly it makes them extremely annoying to deal with so I usually give them a quick straighten and then slick them back. Should I bring my straightener or just load up on extra product? What has everyone else's experience been? Thanks in advance!

Online paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2016, 12:24:06 »
I'll start by saying that I cut my hair short before basic. Pixie cut short.
I did not want to have to deal with hair at all.
You WILL not have time to straighten any hair during the week. And obviously not the weeks you are in the field.
Your best bet is product. Glop that stuff on and turn your hair into a helmet. Or cut it short. It's only hair, it will grow back.
Depending on how long the little baby hairs are, not one may say anything.
Here are the official dress regs: www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/255/251/A-DH-265-000-AG-001.pdf
Page 2-2-2 starts talking about hair. Page 2-2-16 to 2-2-18 has pictures of acceptable female styles. They don't specifically mention wispy hairs however.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 14:20:48 by paleomedic »

Offline blackhat123

• Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2016, 12:27:18 »
Hi all!

Let me start by saying sorry if this has already been answered. I did do a search and nothing came up.

My ladies with curly hair who have been to bmq or are there right now. Im on the fence about bringing a hair straightener. Not to straighten my hair every day. Ain't nobody got time for that. But I have baby hairs all around my face and with them being curly it makes them extremely annoying to deal with so I usually give them a quick straighten and then slick them back. Should I bring my straightener or just load up on extra product? What has everyone else's experience been? Thanks in advance!

I haven't been to CFLRS, therefore I'm not familiar with their specific SOPs and BSOs (USOs? I'm not sure how CFLRS is classified) but I know that generally any sort of heating appliance is a no go in shacks, especially ones without an automatic shut-off.

Offline VGlaub

• Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2016, 13:38:27 »
Thanks everyone for getting back so quickly! Will definitely NOT bring the straightener then and just load up on hair gel. Can't say I really wanted to deal with packing it anyways so kind of a relief.

Offline serifed

• Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2017, 17:29:01 »
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've scanned all six pages and while my question may have been answered, the majority of links for images are now broken.
I head out for my BMOQ at the end of August, and while my hair is long enough to put into a bun, I'm debating on cutting it shorter so I don't have to worry about putting it up.
Is a short style like this acceptable? I'm assuming I would still have to pull the front part back with bobby pins.

Offline BeyondTheNow

I came. I saw. I made it awkward...

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2017, 18:02:26 »
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've scanned all six pages and while my question may have been answered, the majority of links for images are now broken.
I head out for my BMOQ at the end of August, and while my hair is long enough to put into a bun, I'm debating on cutting it shorter so I don't have to worry about putting it up.
Is a short style like this acceptable? I'm assuming I would still have to pull the front part back with bobby pins.

You'll see many variations of that style. (I currently have an angled bob like that.) However, note that the front of that specific style photo is too long, it's below/touching the collar. You'll have to pin it up/back somehow. However, if you choose an angled bob and the longest portion is chin length, you should be fine. (Edit to add: Apologies, as you mentioned that initially in your post.)

Cons to the style: IMO, it's actually a bit of a nuisance. It's an in-between length and with drill (such as remove head-dress/replace head-dress), with wind blowing when in formation outside, field stuff, etc it can be a nuisance. Short enough so it doesn't get in your face and/or eyes at any point, or long enough so that you can tie it all back in place is the easiest for course.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 18:05:58 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline serifed

• Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2017, 18:21:41 »
You'll see many variations of that style. (I currently have an angled bob like that.) However, note that the front of that specific style photo is too long, it's below/touching the collar. You'll have to pin it up/back somehow. However, if you choose an angled bob and the longest portion is chin length, you should be fine. (Edit to add: Apologies, as you mentioned that initially in your post.)

Cons to the style: IMO, it's actually a bit of a nuisance. It's an in-between length and with drill (such as remove head-dress/replace head-dress), with wind blowing when in formation outside, field stuff, etc it can be a nuisance. Short enough so it doesn't get in your face and/or eyes at any point, or long enough so that you can tie it all back in place is the easiest for course.

Thanks for the response! I'll leave my hair as is for now and maybe cut my hair into an angled bob after course.