Author Topic: Kazemi Raped and Tortured - news report  (Read 9037 times)

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Kazemi Raped and Tortured - news report
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 01:37:43 »
We could send them a strongly worded letter which ends with the words "Please govern yourself accordingly." That ought to scare them. 

How about they say: You had better stop that, or I will be forced to ask to you stop again!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/04/04/kazemi050404.html
Tories blast PM for 'spineless' response to Iran
Last Updated Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:07:16 EDT
CBC News
OTTAWA - Conservative Leader Stephen Harper accused the Liberal government of acting in a callous and spineless way for re-establishing relations with Iran, despite knowing the details about the deadly injuries suffered by Canadian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi.

INDEPTH: Zahra Kazemi

Harper's accusations come as the doctor who examined Kazemi made public for the first time last week the extent of the injuries she suffered while in Iranian custody.

The government recalled the ambassador to Iran, Philip MacKinnon, in July 2003, just after Kazemi's death "for consultations after failures in the Iranian justice system with respect to the case of Zahra Kazemi." In November 2004, Gordon Venner was appointed as the new ambassador.

Monday was the first time the government faced questions in the House about the recent revelations about Kazemi after MPs returned from their Easter break.

"It turns out for months the prime minister knew the true extent of the brutality inflicted upon Ms. Kazemi. Instead of taking a firm stand against Iran, he sent our ambassador back to that oppressive regime," Harper said.

"What kind of callous, spineless government re-establishes normal diplomatic relations with this kind of regime?"

Last week, Dr. Shahram Azam said he examined Kazemi in 2003, and that she had had been flogged, repeatedly beaten and raped. He said she had a number of injuries, including a broken nose, a fractured skull, broken fingers and a smashed toe.

FROM MAR. 31 , 2005: Canadian tortured for days, says Iranian doctor

Kazemi had been arrested for taking pictures outside a prison during a student protest in Tehran.

While the Iranian government has since admitted she was beaten, officials say she died when she fainted and hit her head. An Iranian security agent was later charged but acquitted of killing her.

Conservative foreign affairs critic Stockwell Day said sending the ambassador back to Iran was "devoid of priniciple," and called on the government to send a clear message to Iran and again recall the ambassador.

Neither Prime Minister Paul Martin nor Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew responded to questions about recalling the ambassador, instead focusing on the fact the government granted Azam asylum so he could publicize what happened to Kazemi.

Pettigrew said they have sent a message to Iran, and that for two years they've been "telling the House and all Canadians that what happened in Iran was a murder."

Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 16:42:43 »
I sincerely wish Canada could do something effective to the Iranian regime to address this travesty. The gov'ts lack of response is lamentable, but realistically there is nothing more than words (up to now pretty inadequate) that can be offered.
Acorn

I think what surprised many people in both PMO and DFAIT was that no one, none of our friends and allies, stood up and supported us.  A great many people, very senior people were blissfully unaware of the fact â “ and I submit that it is a fact â “ that Canada has no power and powerless nations are also friendless nations.

Had something like this happened thirty-five years ago there is no doubt that both the UK and USA would have jumped up and expended their political capital and soft power on our behalf.  Not now, not in 2005; Iran is important to both the UK and the USA for other reasons â “ reasons which are far more important than Canada.  That is a sad and sorry fact of life â “ you can thank that puffed-up ignoramus Pierre Elliot Trudeau for that; he, almost single-handedly, emasculated this country; he was, without a shadow of a doubt the greatest, most dangerous enemy Canada ever had â “ and we rolled over and begged for more!

The UK and the USA have enormous soft power â “ a wee tiny bit of it would suffice to resolve this issue to Canada's satisfaction.  They will not use it.

Canada has no, zero soft power.  Soft power exists only when a nation has and is willing and able to use hard power.  No hard power: no soft power; that's what Nye said but Pink Lloyd Axworthy and the other Liberal mental  midgets didn't read the whole book â “ lazy, incompetent pretenders.

</rant>

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2005, 16:54:36 »
That is a sad and sorry fact of life â “ you can thank that puffed-up ignoramus Pierre Elliot Trudeau for that; he, almost single-handedly, emasculated this country; he was, without a shadow of a doubt the greatest, most dangerous enemy Canada ever had â “ and we rolled over and begged for more!

That's what I've always said - I didn't understand the public pouring forth lamentations when he passed away when you consider that he was a turd.   Combine that with the fact that he skated through law school while our fathers and great-grandfathers were fighting to liberate Europe; Greatest Generation eh?

One of my main goals in life is to somehow get Montreal's Airport changed back into Dorval.

Canada has no, zero soft power.   Soft power exists only when a nation has and is willing and able to use hard power.   No hard power: no soft power; that's what Nye said but Pink Lloyd Axworthy and the other Liberal mental   midgets didn't read the whole book â “ lazy, incompetent pretenders.

Ouch, the truth hurts - but there it is....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2005, 22:04:10 »
Ouch, the truth hurts - but there it is....

What? You mean there are people in the world who can't be reasoned with? That negotiate in bad faith? That don't respond to carefully worded diplomatic letters?? I'm shocked!! Has anyone informed the utopianist, left-leaning academic elite that push this soft power nonsense?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 22:05:09 »
You know, the Liebrals constant canonization of good ole Pierre remind a little bit of how the Kremlin boys always poured on the love for old Papa Joe... he was the greatest thing to happen to humanity. The bad stuff and rumours were just blowng thing out of proportion, you know. Erg.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 22:11:26 »
I remember listening to Lloyd boy talk about it, but he yammered on about being a satrapy of the United States.  I guess being a victim is better, hey Lloyd?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Acorn

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 22:14:30 »
Don't worry. Lloyd is grooming a new batch of young diplomats at UBC.

Acorn
"Liberal societies cannot be defended by herbivores. We need carnivores to save us." - Michael Ignatieff, The Lesser Evil

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 22:18:07 »
Nope - that is where I had the "fortune" to hear him speak - he is now in Winnipeg (UofM?)

Offline Acorn

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 22:21:21 »
My bad. I don't follow his movements, and last heard he was at UBC.

Either he can't hold a job, or he's preaching to a broader audience.

Oh well.

Acorn
"Liberal societies cannot be defended by herbivores. We need carnivores to save us." - Michael Ignatieff, The Lesser Evil

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 22:28:56 »
Either he can't hold a job, or he's preaching to a broader audience.

My money, judging by his excellent letter to the US Secretary of State, is on Option 1.... :)

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 22:43:17 »
I remember listening to Lloyd boy talk about it, but he yammered on about being a satrapy of the United States.   I guess being a victim is better, hey Lloyd?

I guess Lloyd is as good of a historian as he is a diplomat or minister of the Crown.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 23:10:08 »
Did I spell that wrong?

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 23:28:05 »
No, I meant that Lloyd's description of Canada as a Satrapy of the United States shows a profound misunderstanding of what a Satrap was in the Persian Empire.

A Satrap can be variously translated as Governor or Proconsul, and had a bit of both flavors. The Satrap ruled his province and was expected to send a certain amount of taxes and tribute to the Great King in Persopolis. Since we pay no taxes to the government of the United States, nor is there a viceroy or procouncil to extract tribute from us to send to the President, then the analogy is entirely incorrect.

I should note that if China ever becomes the ascendant power in the world, their ownership of companies in Canada's natural resource industry will quickly translate into Canada being in a tributary relationship, and the Chinese Proconsul will have a mission to extract as much heavy oil, coal, lumber, mineral ore, fresh water and wheat from Canada as humanly possible.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.