Author Topic: Iranian President- Was He One of The Hostage Takers?  (Read 1287 times)

Online Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Iranian President- Was He One of The Hostage Takers?
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:53:50 »

`He was one of our captors'
Iran's president-elect linked to 1979 U.S. embassy siege

American intelligence agencies caught off guard by claims

TIM HARPER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTONâ ”Chuck Scott remembers him as "cold, hard-nosed,'' and says his memory is solid "as sure as I'm sitting here.''
Iran's new president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was a ringleader among Iranian militants who held Americans hostage for more than a year beginning in 1979 and dealt a major blow to U.S. confidence, says Scott, one of 52 Americans held in the U.S. embassy.

"If you went through a traumatic experience like that and you were around people who made it possible, you're never going to forget them,'' said Scott, a 73-year-old retired U.S. army colonel.
Scott was one of six former hostages who went public with their suspicions yesterday, making an allegation the Bush administration is taking very seriously and the Iranian government is denying.
If Ahmadinejad's involvement in the hostage-taking is confirmed, it would further complicate an already difficult relationship between Tehran and Washington. The United States has long raised global concerns about Iran's nuclear capabilities.

"I have no information but, obviously, his involvement raises many questions ... I am confident (the answers) will be found,'' U.S. President George W. Bush told European reporters he met in advance of next week's meeting of the Group of Eight in Scotland.
Fifty-two Americans were held for 444 days during the crisis that unfolded during the presidency of Democrat Jimmy Carter.
A failed rescue attempt on the eve of the 1980 election doomed Carter's re-election bid and led to the election of Republican Ronald Reagan.

Scott told National Public Radio (NPR) that he was certain he recognized Ahmadinejad the first time he saw him on television following last Friday's run-off election, which brought the conservative hard-liner to power in Iran.
"It was more mannerisms than anything else ... I spotted him almost instantly,'' Scott said. "I was in the living room and I said to my wife, `I know that guy. He was one of our captors.'
"And she said, `Are you sure?' And I said, `I'm as sure as I'm sitting here.'"

Both Scott and another former hostage Don Sharer identified Ahmadinejad as a student leader who referred to the Americans as "pigs and dogs.''

"As soon as I saw the face, it rang a lot of bells for me,'' Sharer said in a series of television interviews.

Ahmadinejad has acknowledged membership in the radical student organization that stormed the embassy in 1979 and would have been 23 at the time.
Gary Sick, a staff member at the White House National Security Council during the hostage crisis, told NPR that membership in that organization in Tehran would have allowed Ahmadinejad access to the embassy.
"Whether he was in the embassy at some point is entirely possible, and I have to take Chuck Scott's word for it,'' said Sick, now a professor of Middle East studies at New York's Columbia University.

Left unanswered is how U.S. intelligence agencies have been caught off guard by the allegations surrounding the president-elect of a country that has been branded an "outpost of tyranny'' and part of the "axis of evil'' by the administration.
National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said the administration has been tracking the background of Ahmadinejad, a former mayor of Tehran, but said he did not have all the facts.
Hadley said if the president-elect's involvement was confirmed, Washington would look at the possibility that he was in violation of the Geneva Conventions or some international laws.

But Hadley said Washington would still have to deal with him.
Bush had already condemned the Iranian election even before the votes were counted and he reiterated that his main concern was working with Britain, France and Germany, the three countries that have been negotiating with Iran to check its nuclear aspirations.

In an interview with The Times of London, Bush was noncommittal when asked whether Ahmadinejad is the type of leader the United States and its European allies can work with.
"Our common goal,'' Bush said, "is that Iran should not have a nuclear weapon. That is, people universally recognize ... a valid goal, and we're hooked together on that.''
The response of the president-elect on that issue will be the first test of whether the West can deal with him, Bush said.

"You'd like to have some dialogue, even with your enemies,'' said Senator George Allen, a Virginia Republican.
"This would make this much more difficult if he was one of those thugs who held our hostages for 444 days.''
Additional articles by Tim Harper

....did the US intelligence blow it here or is this just a case of mistaken identity?
I looked in the paper today and they sure look the same......

IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

pappy

Re: Iranian President- Was He One of The Hostage Takers?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 02:51:08 »
it ain't no big supprise to anyone that has been around.  damn, only the press is shocked.  Lots of the students that took over the US Embassy are in the upper power positions and have been for some time in the Iranian goverment.  How is this a "inteligence failure" ?

hummm wasn't Stalin and Lenin leaders in the Russian revoltion?  Oh my god they ended up in power wow, big supprise...

Hitler.... ring a bell?

Oh my the son of the Russian puppet of North Korea during the Korean war is now thier "president"  the shock of it all....

George Washington ?

the list is endless