Author Topic: HMCS Calgary CO & XO relieved of duty  (Read 8621 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: HMCS Calgary CO & XO relieved of duty
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2020, 20:30:25 »
Charged for liking a Facebook post?  That is a complete myth. Find me one member who was successfully charged for liking a post.  Liking, not sharing or posting crap, the physical act of the "thumbs up".

I'll be sure to save the video so I can keep it alive if it is taken down for whatever reason.

I had a (clearly insane) CO who tried to figure out how to charge people for not responding to his emails fast enough, or at all.

I’m in the Infantry though, so, you know.... :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2020, 20:53:50 »

I think it’d be an easy fight.

Inadvertently liked?  Was it even me?  Were my kids playing on my phone after a FaceTime with grandma?   

Knew someone in a similar situation. He got a civilian lawyer who basically laughed at the CAFs case. CAF backed down from a charge to RW, then IC. He probably could have got out of the IC too but he wisely gave the CAF a win. Because we all know what happens when you get egg on the CoCs face. 

It's sad we have a culture where innocent people are still pressured to accept guilt for the sake of appearance and discipline, because fighting it will piss people off and make it worse.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2020, 21:24:18 »
I'll be sure to save the video so I can keep it alive if it is taken down for whatever reason.
Good call -- as of this post ....
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2020, 21:33:19 »

It's sad we have a culture where innocent people are still pressured to accept guilt for the sake of appearance and discipline, because fighting it will piss people off and make it worse.

It's no different out on civvie street either.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 08:36:32 »

It's no different out on civvie street either.

Pretty sure my manager at work can't hold a summary trial...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:34:10 by Not a Sig Op »

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2020, 08:59:00 »
Good call -- as of this post ....

I missed it, it’s the first thing I checked when I left work.  It was already made private.

Good for this kid though, I certainly hope nothing comes from it. 

Perhaps the RCN will revisit how they handled this and change things (doubtful). There are so many different avenues they could have taken and they chose the worst one.  I think the best course of action would have been to ignore it 100%.

I assume this kid was a junior NCM, however he very well could have been a commissioned member.  I hope we never find out.

We have to be better.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 09:16:00 »

Perhaps the RCN will revisit how they handled this and change things (doubtful). There are so many different avenues they could have taken and they chose the worst one.  I think the best course of action would have been to ignore it 100%.

The word on the street is the RCN (at least on the CPO side of the house) are out for blood.  Furious whiny emails abound.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:46:32 by MJP »
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 09:25:31 »
The word on the street is the RCN (at least on the CPO side of teh house) are out for blood.
That IS sad ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2020, 09:39:55 »
:highjack:
Pretty sure my manager at work can't hold a summary trial...

To clarify prosecutors often pressure accused to plead out prior to trial
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2020, 10:36:58 »
To clarify prosecutors often pressure accused to plead out prior to trial

No doubt, they can pressure all they like, but you've still got the right to representation, and a trial with an impartial judge.

You're not going to find a civilian judge pressuring you to "take the charge" after embarrassing him or his buddies.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2020, 13:24:40 »
No doubt, they can pressure all they like, but you've still got the right to representation, and a trial with an impartial judge.

You're not going to find a civilian judge pressuring you to "take the charge" after embarrassing him or his buddies.

The pressure is all part of the game.  That being said, if you have done nothing wrong, you should stand your ground.

A good lawyer would advise you to do so.  It will cost you though.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2020, 16:31:14 »
Under Canadian law can an accused waive their right to trial and let the judge decide ?

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2020, 19:49:36 »
The word on the street is the RCN (at least on the CPO side of the house) are out for blood.  Furious whiny emails abound.

Who or what are you quoting? I know the head of PA for the Navy and she will be very interested in seeing anything that is circulating about this on the street on the CPO network.
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2020, 20:11:59 »
Who or what are you quoting? I know the head of PA for the Navy and she will be very interested in seeing anything that is circulating about this on the street on the CPO network.

Beat it narc..ask the CPO network for their whiny emails
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2020, 20:28:22 »
Beat it narc..ask the CPO network for their whiny emails

Excuse me? You posted that word on the street was that someone was gunning for this kid. I want you to cite/prove this, because otherwise it is bullshit and you made it up.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2020, 20:33:29 »
Excuse me? You posted that word on the street was that someone was gunning for this kid. I want you to cite/prove this, because otherwise it is bullshit and you made it up.

You are excused...
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 20:39:07 »
Really. That's your response. I sit in on a group that daily discusses all of the issues that are of importance to the CAF. At no time has this issue been raised.

So, your impropriety notwithstanding, put up or shut up.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2020, 20:53:59 »
Really. That's your response. I sit in on a group that daily discusses all of the issues that are of importance to the CAF. At no time has this issue been raised.

With all due respect my friend I wanna say those groups probably see and hear what they want to hear and not what's happening at ground level.

You know, like when a general comes around and troops are strongly advised not to ask questions and say everything is good to go when asked.
"troops are happy everything appears great"

Suggesting someone with MJP's posting history is making stuff up is wildly out in left field.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2020, 20:58:26 »

Meh. Good for you on sitting on such an important council.   Tell them they should focus on real issues.   

Take my impropriety on an unofficial website and shove it.

If you want the official answer get it from the right sources.   My sources will stay silent.   Suffice to say the CPO network is livid.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 21:01:46 by MJP »
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2020, 21:01:37 »
Oops.  That was supposed to be a -300...clicked too fast...

Be careful who you waggle a finger at....some folks know that of which they speak.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2020, 21:19:54 »
OK. Our Branch chief is a CPO1. I talk to him daily and will ask him to suss out what is being communicated on the drums.

I also deal with disinformation on a daily basis and this fits seems to fit squarely within that realm. I will apologize profusely and publicly on this forum if I have castigated MJP improperly.

You will see in an earlier post that I stated that often the CAF shoots the messenger. After 36 years in this outfit, I have seen far too many times when hyperbole and innuendo achieve the opposite effect, and create a fictitious situation that doesn't exist.

Notwithstanding folks disregard for where I work and the level of SA that we have, the local/tactical becomes strategic in a millisecond, and we are actually very aware of real issues.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2020, 22:07:21 »
OK. Our Branch chief is a CPO1. I talk to him daily and will ask him to suss out what is being communicated on the drums.

I also deal with disinformation on a daily basis and this fits seems to fit squarely within that realm. I will apologize profusely and publicly on this forum if I have castigated MJP improperly.

You will see in an earlier post that I stated that often the CAF shoots the messenger. After 36 years in this outfit, I have seen far too many times when hyperbole and innuendo achieve the opposite effect, and create a fictitious situation that doesn't exist.

Notwithstanding folks disregard for where I work and the level of SA that we have, the local/tactical becomes strategic in a millisecond, and we are actually very aware of real issues.

Great post and thank you for the clarity.  I apologize for my snarkiness but I refuse to allow the institution to intrude on an unofficial  platform.   We need to be held accountable as a public institution that we're are using public resources properly. Witch hunts of people that may or not be of CAF members relating to a satire/parody song is not a good use of public time.

That said the emails exist and I encourage anyone to ATIP them.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2020, 22:24:03 »
MJP,

I was not trying to start a fight here, rather, if what you have stated is true, then I have the ear of a person who I believe can make this stop in a heartbeat.

I was well aware of the notification proclaiming that the CO and XO were to be removed. Second and third order effects considerations did not go beyond that. Believe me when I say that there is no intent at the strat level to track down the originator/producer of the video, and if local CPO's are livid, they will be disabused of that emotion very quickly.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:19 »
MJP,

I was not trying to start a fight here, rather, if what you have stated is true, then I have the ear of a person who I believe can make this stop in a heartbeat.

I was well aware of the notification proclaiming that the CO and XO were to be removed. Second and third order effects considerations did not go beyond that. Believe me when I say that there is no intent at the strat level to track down the originator/producer of the video, and if local CPO's are livid, they will be disabused of that emotion very quickly.

Just chiming in here to stand up for emotionless CPOs, and similar ranks in other arms and services. They're great at counter-balancing histrionics from people like me :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon