Author Topic: AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)  (Read 939633 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)
« Reply #2325 on: June 18, 2020, 19:54:40 »
I doubt they really want to sell to others.  One big fat customer that pays is easy.  Sorry to be a downer but really.  How much did Irving really try to sell to the Saudi's the CPF's?  How much are they trying to sell the AOPS to RNZN?  Plus how much does the CDN Gov really help? Other nations really go out of their way to make deal, and a Canada deal does not help most countries geo politically (cough, cough SC Seat)  ....I know I'm being negative.

they may make money by selling the updated design, I doubt we can directly compete with South Korea, however if the ships have minimal teething issues, it may make them more attractive. I would not be surprised if New Zealand, Chile or Argentina expressed interest in the AOP's, either built here or a licenced build. 

Online Underway

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)
« Reply #2326 on: June 18, 2020, 21:34:10 »
they may make money by selling the updated design, I doubt we can directly compete with South Korea, however if the ships have minimal teething issues, it may make them more attractive. I would not be surprised if New Zealand, Chile or Argentina expressed interest in the AOP's, either built here or a licenced build.

Naval allies always take a good look at what each other are building.  NZ has a desire for an ice-resistant patrol boat.  RNZN visits Canada and does an Irving tour, seeing what we are doing and the problems/solutions we have and developed.  RNZN goes home and uses that info to develop its own requirements.

Not that big of a deal.  There is a reason RNZN ANZACs did the upgrade they did.  Because they comparative shopped, looked at their own requirements and then chose a HCM type upgrade vs the Australian refit (with the CEAFAR etc...).   UK is looking at JSS for similar reasons.

To say we are trying to sell the boat (as I may have stated earlier in this thread but have now changed my position) might be premature.  Happy to provide the glossy brochure but its more of a car show and less a dealership visit.