Author Topic: Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]  (Read 159191 times)

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2018, 21:33:52 »
And on the other side of the coin, I know a guy who had his entire shipping container laid out on the dock in Halifax when it arrived...
I was wondering about that, I assumed they had to go through some of them. I wonder if they have the random light similar to airport security.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2018, 10:50:06 »
I've moved back to Canada twice.  In neither case were my goods laid out on the jetty.  Both times (once in Victoria, once in Ottawa), the shipping agent informed me when the goods had arrived.  I then had to pick up the paperwork from the agent, go to Customs to have it cleared (they looked at and stamped the forms).  Once I returned the paperwork to the shipping agent, my goods were delivered to my house.

I think the key to dealing with Customs is to have all of your paperwork (inventories, receipts etc.) laid out in an organized fashion.  If they can see the logic and it appears complete, they are less likely to want to dig further.  Keep in mind that for the most part, families returning to Canada from postings overseas (be they military or Foreign Affairs) are not their targets.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline AK

• Rate Post
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:34 »
I think the key to dealing with Customs is to have all of your paperwork (inventories, receipts etc.) laid out in an organized fashion.  If they can see the logic and it appears complete, they are less likely to want to dig further.  Keep in mind that for the most part, families returning to Canada from postings overseas (be they military or Foreign Affairs) are not their targets.

I think Pusser has it right.  CBSA was happy with my paperwork and signed me off without an inspection when I moved back last year.

That being said, I would recommend constantly updating your inventory throughout your posting to save you time and trouble.  I had a false sense that it wasn't too important based on my move to the US, but they paid close attention to it upon my return.

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2018, 14:21:36 »
Has anyone tried to sell their previously-Canadian vehicle when they came back to Canada? Customs is telling me that I need to hold onto the car for a year or else pay duty on it. I bought the car in Canada before I moved South so this just seems wrong, though all of the info on vehicles refers to the date of import so technically I believe they are correct.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2018, 00:32:25 »
Has anyone tried to sell their previously-Canadian vehicle when they came back to Canada? Customs is telling me that I need to hold onto the car for a year or else pay duty on it. I bought the car in Canada before I moved South so this just seems wrong, though all of the info on vehicles refers to the date of import so technically I believe they are correct.

Did you fully export your car into the US or did you use the NATO SOFA provisions?

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2018, 00:41:29 »
Full export of a compliant vehicle.

Offline AshleyMarie34

• Rate Post
OutCan postings?
« Reply #281 on: July 27, 2019, 15:00:16 »
So I have been wondering  on this one for a bit. How common are outcan posting and would anyone who has done so tell me the process? I am in the early process of joining. My significant other lives in the U.K. And is in university for forensic science. S/O is open to moving to Canada at a later date (let's say 2025) after S/O has graduated and has done some work.

I have heard the Canadian military has posted people tomother country's for a small amount of time but I am unsure if it was due to special circumstances or what not. Also are these Canadian bases over seas or are they foreign county's bases that a member of the CAF would work at? Also along with the UK (if that's even an option) just for giggles could anyone tell me what other countries aside from the USA is able to do out can? (Ex Ireland, Australia, Argentina, etc)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: OutCan postings?
« Reply #282 on: July 27, 2019, 15:09:15 »
Also along with the UK (if that's even an option) just for giggles could anyone tell me what other countries aside from the USA is able to do out can? (Ex Ireland, Australia, Argentina, etc)

OutCan Postings to Australia 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=97999.0

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #283 on: July 28, 2019, 00:04:07 »
I have heard the Canadian military has posted people tomother country's for a small amount of time but I am unsure if it was due to special circumstances or what not. Also are these Canadian bases over seas or are they foreign county's bases that a member of the CAF would work at? Also along with the UK (if that's even an option) just for giggles could anyone tell me what other countries aside from the USA is able to do out can? (Ex Ireland, Australia, Argentina, etc)

We have personnel posted OUTCAN to many countries, including Australia, but there are none in Ireland or Argentina. As to how common it is, not very, but that is dependant on your rank and occupation. There are exchange positions, schools (including postgrad and staff colleges), NATO positions, and liaison positions. Plus a sizeable footprint embedded with GAC — not every Canadian Embassy and High Commision has military personnel, but a good number of them do.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2019, 12:24:52 »
So I have been wondering  on this one for a bit. How common are outcan posting and would anyone who has done so tell me the process? I am in the early process of joining. My significant other lives in the U.K. And is in university for forensic science. S/O is open to moving to Canada at a later date (let's say 2025) after S/O has graduated and has done some work.

As a general rule, most OUTCAN positions are for fairly senior and qualified personnel.  The positions are also generally filled by merit.  People apply and then the most suitable candidate is chosen.  I hate to burst your bubble, but the chances of someone newly enrolled getting an OUTCAN posting are extremely low.  You have to complete all your training and reach the occupational functional point and then be selected in competition with your peers.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2019, 13:21:39 »
 Can't speak for other trades, but Sigs have a position in the UK, but it is for a MCpl.  The few positions, as stated already, are highly competitive in all trades.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James