• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

Seems a bit over reaching to me.
Definitely a hard line to walk.
We don't require disclosure, but have a policy that covers use, rule of thumb- it's not the companies business until you make it so
ex.
  • inappropriate interaction with or about coworker
  • criminal behavior
-public demeaning of company/coworker

The only time "expression" comes into it is when an employee has taken steps to integrate their professional role into their personal social media, effectively making their accounts representative of the company, and even then it greatly depends on how visible their role is.

Definitely a hard line to walk.
We don't require disclosure, but have a policy that covers use, rule of thumb- it's not the companies business until you make it so
ex.
  • inappropriate interaction with or about coworker
  • criminal behavior
-public demeaning of company/coworker

The only time "expression" comes into it is when an employee has taken steps to integrate their professional role into their personal social media, effectively making their accounts representative of the company, and even then it greatly depends on how visible their role is.

The CAF has existing polices to investigate and prosecute misuse of social media, use them.

Anything more than that seems a little invasive to me.

Depends on the job requirement.

I'm listening.

Again, if someone has joined the CAF to learn combat arms skills to fight a race war, would they also not just give fake/filtered social media accounts if they had to do that?

If specific groups are targeting the CAF, surveilling specific groups is the answer, not surveying the entire CAF.

You’d be surprised how dumb some people are.

Anyway, the world of security clearances is a world unto itself…
You forget where I work sir!

But yes, there is an existing security clearance process. It is massively under resourced, but the actual process itself is ridiculous. For someone who was employed by the GOC throught the previous period when you go for an update, it's somewhat redundant to have to submit that during security renewals. For someone in the military it's even sillier, we worked where they told us to, so it's already on an MPRR and Guardian.

It may have changed since, but when I was both a federal public servant and a part time reservist, I had to complete two identical security clearances, one for each.

One was approved level II, the other was rejected to be redone. Both were processed through the same office...

It may have changed since, but when I was both a federal public servant and a part time reservist, I had to complete two identical security clearances, one for each.

One was approved level II, the other was rejected to be redone. Both were processed through the same office...
It hasn’t.

Similarly if you get a security clearance while working at company A, but move to company B, you need to reapply.

I don't know why it doesn't follow the individual or is attached to their SIN.

It's causing massive churn for getting any kind of small jobs done (like construction on bases) where there is normally a high turnover in workers. Shut down a few jobs that I'm aware of in my small corner of the world, and I'm sure it's a general problem.

Pshawwww….come back to compare when you update a TS and fail an ERC. #gotthetshirt

I don't know why it doesn't follow the individual or is attached to their SIN.
You'd think with the biggest obstacles keeping people from enlisting being security clearances & medical clearances... we could cut the backlog of pending security clearances by a decent chunk if we just fixed this one thing. 🤦‍♂️

(I wish I could become PM for 1 year. Just 1 year. Fix all the ridiculous red tape we create FOR OURSELVES 🤪 and inject some common sense for a while!)

(I wish I could become PM for 1 year. Just 1 year. Fix all the ridiculous red tape we create FOR OURSELVES 🤪 and inject some common sense for a while!)
Said red tape is so ingrained in our system I'm not sure a PM could change it, aside from nuking it from orbit.

You'd think with the biggest obstacles keeping people from enlisting being security clearances & medical clearances... we could cut the backlog of pending security clearances by a decent chunk if we just fixed this one thing. 🤦‍♂️

You could but that requires manpower and adding manpower seems to be a point of contention for some.

You forget where I work sir!

But yes, there is an existing security clearance process. It is massively under resourced, but the actual process itself is ridiculous. For someone who was employed by the GOC throught the previous period when you go for an update, it's somewhat redundant to have to submit that during security renewals. For someone in the military it's even sillier, we worked where they told us to, so it's already on an MPRR and Guardian.
I had that situation happen to me recently, submitted the paperwork civilian side after the military side. Got it fairly quickly civilian side. Found out months later that my orderly room had never submitted my paperwork and had to start the process over again.

…”[it’d be] the only way to be sure…” 😉
Episode 11 Mike GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

I think there are bigger 'obstacles' that that ;)

Military sounds alarm over recruiting problems as Canadians steer clear​

Back