• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gulp...

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog​

“White nationalism” is an “active” threat to the Canadian Armed Forces, a new report says, but the Forces’ counter-intelligence unit is under-resourced and unable to “proactively” deal with the issue.

In a report released Monday, the independent National Security and Intelligence Review Committee (NSIRA) said the Department of National Defence has known for years their internal “counter-intelligence” branch has been underfunded and hindered by policy constraints.

The report also found the counter-intelligence unit was unable to “proactively” address white nationalism within the ranks, an issue that the top brass in all three branches of the Canadian Armed Forces have identified as a threat.

“White supremacist groups actively seek individuals with prior military training and experience, or conversely, encourage individuals to enlist in order to gain access to specialized training, tactics and equipment,” the partially-censored NSIRA report read.

“As such, the CAF remains attractive to elements of the right-wing, with a series of internal reports having warned of white supremacist membership among the ranks.”

Gulp...

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog​

“White nationalism” is an “active” threat to the Canadian Armed Forces, a new report says, but the Forces’ counter-intelligence unit is under-resourced and unable to “proactively” deal with the issue.

In a report released Monday, the independent National Security and Intelligence Review Committee (NSIRA) said the Department of National Defence has known for years their internal “counter-intelligence” branch has been underfunded and hindered by policy constraints.

The report also found the counter-intelligence unit was unable to “proactively” address white nationalism within the ranks, an issue that the top brass in all three branches of the Canadian Armed Forces have identified as a threat.

“White supremacist groups actively seek individuals with prior military training and experience, or conversely, encourage individuals to enlist in order to gain access to specialized training, tactics and equipment,” the partially-censored NSIRA report read.

“As such, the CAF remains attractive to elements of the right-wing, with a series of internal reports having warned of white supremacist membership among the ranks.”

FFS. Really.

Gulp...

We gotta be ready for all those crazy white folk 😄

Wasn't there an article that was released shortly after the Patrik Matthews incident that stated this entire issue was overblown? Something about making mountains out of mole hills?

How dare we have white people be proud of their country.

Trudeau needs to try harder.

Is this really an issue ANYWHERE in Canada? FFS, lets put some BS distracting messages out so everyone looks the other way while the government EA inquiry makes them looks like fools, Freeland enlightens us on home budgeting tips and now we are looking at China interfering (Helping the LPC) in the 2019 election.

Don't be fooled Canada.

Are there racist idiots out there? Yes there is.
Are there some in the CAF? Yes there is.
Are they a threat to the nation of Canada? Not at all.

The chattering classes in the Ottawa-Toronto-Montreal triangle would love to import every issue from the US and make it our own. For all of our similarities with our southern cousins we are still two very different nations. As was shown by the convoy and the border blockades, they were somewhat organized but when push came to shove and the authorities finally got their shit together the convoy melted away like the snow in a chinook. Also when the threat of real armed issues came to the fore, the authorities were able to nip that in the bud pretty damn quick.

Yes there will always be lone wolf attacks, but an organized white nationalist militia attacking the foundations of Canada? Nope, its just not in our DNA.

Oh great, are we gonna have to have the “why ‘white nationalism’ is not the same thing as benign patriotism” discussion again? Because the shit takes on that are always entertaining.

This is not messaging coming from a partisan organization. NSIRA is independent and arms-length. It relaxed the old Security Intelligence Review Committee. It has an oversight role over all national security intelligence functions, drawing on information from all agencies (there are more at the table than you would likely expect). NSIRA has full access to all intelligence records necessary to fulfill its function, unrestricted by degrees of classification and sensitivity; they have the clearances and facilities necessary to use that information in its assessments.

National security investigations pivot to what and where the threats to the security of Canada are. In the past few years, that has largely been hard-right ideologically motivated violent extremism. It’s neither secret nor new news that individuals with these beliefs are either radicalizing after serving in CAF or other aspects of our security apparatus, or that alternatively, radicalized individuals are seeking access to military training.

Nobody is pretending this an existential threat to Canada- but it certainly is a security threat. Allied countries are contending with this too. This report seems to be suggesting (from the article- I’ve not yet found it to read) that CAF struggles to stay ahead of this potential radicalization or infiltration, and I find that completely believable.

Thus far the national security apparatus has generally been very effective in detecting and disrupting such threats, generally quietly and with little or no public attention. I’m doing so, it has learned quite a bit about what these networks look like and how they operate. I suspect that this report emerges out of lessons learned during efforts to get to ‘prevention’ before it’s necessary to resort to ‘cure’.

Perhaps all true, but like any organization, if they don't overblow the threat then they risk getting underbudgeted in the future.

Games people play.....

Is this really an issue ANYWHERE in Canada? FFS, lets put some BS distracting messages out so everyone looks the other way while the government EA inquiry makes them looks like fools, Freeland enlightens us on home budgeting tips and now we are looking at China interfering (Helping the LPC) in the 2019 election.

Don't be fooled Canada.
I think it is. Many years ago when I was an "information" officer at the jail we looked into this. At that time they were said to be a very small segment of society and we shouldn't fret too much. My response was along the lines that at some point they would form a critical mass and organize. Not my exact words but close.

And here we are. They IMO are not an existential threat BUT could be a huge pain in the ass for future governments.

This is not messaging coming from a partisan organization. NSIRA is independent and arms-length. It relaxed the old Security Intelligence Review Committee. It has an oversight role over all national security intelligence functions, drawing on information from all agencies (there are more at the table than you would likely expect). NSIRA has full access to all intelligence records necessary to fulfill its function, unrestricted by degrees of classification and sensitivity; they have the clearances and facilities necessary to use that information in its assessments.
Bravo, well said.

And for those who wish to specifically see the Dec 2020 (now declassified with redactions) report that is being discussed and some of the other products of NSIRA, it can be found here.

This is likely where the rumour(?) of a Veterans Watchlist comes from. I've been hearing dribs and drabs about this for a couple of years. What's been said is, it is the same type of list as a terrorist or biker watch list. Now it kind of makes sense. This government doesn't like or trust Veterans. Even if true, I don't expect any LEOs or Int types to admit about it, especially on open boards. However, if someone does know, just keep quiet about it. No need to piss down our backs and tell us it's raining. I questioned some Opposition members, just last week about this. I wonder if I'll get an answer.

The white supremist thing, in the military, as almost the greatest threat to Canada, is a canard. The Biden government has tried to push the same narrative about their military and Republicans. Does it exist. No doubt. The same way as the cartels have infiltrated the US military. Isolated instances and small groups. Or Tamil Tigers, or just plain terrorists looking for training or any number of groups.
If I was a betting man, I could easily believe this from our current mob of governance. Or perhaps they dragged this back out in response to Maisonneuve's speech the other night at his award banquet. He spoke truth to power and really pissed of a lot of people. Especially, when he got standing ovation from the military people there.

"Nip this shit in the bud, before I get back from Bali."

Mod Post

Please explain exactly what this is supposed to mean.
It’s all bullshit anyway. Thanks to the media and lack of backing of gov, most Canadians think the CAF are all white nationalists who commit sexual crimes. We are in a crisis after all. If I had a dollar for every negative article printed on the CAF in the past 5 years…

Ah yes the « white nationalist extremism » is just a hoax argument.

Why is it so hard to believe that in western culture that has been predominately white for a while that white extremism might actually be thing…

Ah yes the « white nationalist extremism » is just a hoax argument.

Why is it so hard to believe that in western culture that has been predominately white for a while that white extremism might actually be thing…
Its such a severe threat right now that its in the news everyday, right? ohhh

No offence. Actually to hell with it, take offence, I don't give a rats fook, your extremely left leaning to the point you jump on every left sided liberal/NDP cause.

Back