• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

The Army program is AFAIK Bold Eagle and it works for a variety of reasons. I think most of their instructors are Indigenous themselves. I think Dangerboy can elaborate more on it.

The one in Winnipeg was not part of that program AFAIK.
I was curious about whether it was the bold eagle program or not. I've heard nothing but great things about bold eagle. I've read that first Nations youth are Canada's fastest growing demographic or something along those lines. Heat and light on the bold eagle program might get the CAF a lot of awesome recruits while simultaneously helping FN youth find work (and escape reservations).

If the NAC placed rules on attendance that actually excluded particular races, they would be violating the Charter,
I believe it's legal under the guise of improving equity for under represented or otherwise disadvantaged groups.

I believe it's legal under the guise of improving equity for under represented or otherwise disadvantaged groups.
I suspect the NAC wasn't interesting in fighting in court to prove that attending a play improves equity for black Canadians.

Racial fluidity is great, bring it on! Gwen Steffani says she's Japanese. Works for me! Cultural appropriation is now an extinct concept in light of this. :cool:

@singh1947 Thanks for the info, always interesting to learn something new and find out about some other cultures/religions.

I can't find it off the quick search, but there was an interesting cbc interview with a Sihk gentelman that in PEI that was discussing being a voluntary firefighter, and how he worked it around some of the religious considerations for growing the beard. I think I've shared it before on other threads but was one of those stories that stuck with me.

It was really interesting and he was talking about the Service aspect, and how choosing to shave (the days where he was on duty) was part of the religion so he was balancing it all out and making that personal sacrifice in service of his community. Hadn't really thought of that but was interesting, and thought it was admirable of him.

Racial fluidity is great, bring it on! Gwen Steffani says she's Japanese. Works for me! Cultural appropriation is now an extinct concept in light of this. :cool:
Really she is? Who woulda thunk it?

If she's Japanese I'm a Viking, which is a possibility given my heritage and the Vikings actually raided the British Isles. Or maybe I'm French - my gran's maiden name was Norman so maybe her ancestors came from Normandy. Whatever.

If she's Japanese I'm a Viking, which is a possibility given my heritage and the Vikings actually raided the British Isles. Or maybe I'm French - my gran's maiden name was Norman so maybe her ancestors came from Normandy. Whatever.
OK. I didn't want to read into it because I thought it was a weird fluff comment. It turns out it's even less "offensive" than it seems.

The Global article says that the part of Japanese culture people are accusing her of appropriating is Harajuku culture. That culture isn't "traditional" by any means - it really only started in the 1970s and later. It's also not trying to be traditionally Japanese or anything - in fact, it's the complete opposite. It's essentially what people refer to when seeing the "weird anime-style" fashion trends in Japan, but it's actually a bunch of sub-subcultures.

So, her saying "I was Japanese and I didn't know it!" when referring to Harajuku culture would be like someone from another continent with a different skin tone going to the US, adopting hip-hop fashion in Compton (let's assume that magically, no one outside of LA had seen or heard of hip-hop fashion before), then going back to their country and saying "I'm American and I didn't know it!"

Anyways, my point is that she is not trying to appropriate traditional Japanese culture.

Vikings were Normans, too.

Nice find, that probably gives them more legal coverage.

Having an event where attendees are supposed to be a certain race but covered with a DADT-style policy still doesn't seem inclusive. I think that still plays into white sup[remacist hands. I suspect a white couple self-identifying as black at that event might cause a ruckus. [edited out incorrect info]]

CAF wise I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of trial in the future where a recruit platoon is X-race in order to bring in more representation in the CAF or something along those lines. Maybe I'm too cynical but we have tried an all-female trial already.
What were the consequences and conclusions from the all female trial?

@singh1947 Thanks for the info, always interesting to learn something new and find out about some other cultures/religions.

I can't find it off the quick search, but there was an interesting cbc interview with a Sihk gentelman that in PEI that was discussing being a voluntary firefighter, and how he worked it around some of the religious considerations for growing the beard. I think I've shared it before on other threads but was one of those stories that stuck with me.

It was really interesting and he was talking about the Service aspect, and how choosing to shave (the days where he was on duty) was part of the religion so he was balancing it all out and making that personal sacrifice in service of his community. Hadn't really thought of that but was interesting, and thought it was admirable of him.
Na dude fuck that guy & the 'doctor' in Montreal who was eager to shave his beard & be paraded around by the media.
They can claim it's for 'service' but that's nowhere part of Maryada (lit means line of death).

Granted, they're not initiated but the public doesn't know that.
They make it difficult for those practicing by giving gullible people a false impression especially in Quebec.
--

Look, when they say the Khalsa is the physical form of the Guru this is the expected standard:

Boiled Alive: Shaheed Bhai Gurdev Singh 'Debu'

I was curious about whether it was the bold eagle program or not. I've heard nothing but great things about bold eagle. I've read that first Nations youth are Canada's fastest growing demographic or something along those lines. Heat and light on the bold eagle program might get the CAF a lot of awesome recruits while simultaneously helping FN youth find work (and escape reservations).
I was peripherally involved with the Raven program on the west coast. It’s great and it gives the native kids a safe place to explore the idea of joining the Navy.

Na dude fuck that guy & the 'doctor' in Montreal who was eager to shave his beard & be paraded around by the media.
They can claim it's for 'service' but that's nowhere part of Maryada (lit means line of death).

Granted, they're not initiated but the public doesn't know that.
They make it difficult for those practicing by giving gullible people a false impression especially in Quebec.
--

Look, when they say the Khalsa is the physical form of the Guru this is the expected standard:

Boiled Alive: Shaheed Bhai Gurdev Singh 'Debu'

Alternatively, they have a less fundamentalist or dogmatic view of the religion than you or others might. They express and practice their understanding of their faith as they see fit, including some flexibility on their part where they see it as necessary to suit their ethic or service, and they are accommodated by the institution to the degree reasonably necessary. Nothing wrong with that.

Not letting race A watch a play is like not letting race B ride a bus.

This world is going full steam of the cliff edge.

It's not as if there's no opportunity to see this play. While the "Black Out" performance is sold out, the seat availability for the performances on the evening before and the evening after look like this.

Thu 16 Feb.jpg Sat Feb 18.jpg

The blue dots are available seats. Seat availability for the other six performances are somewhat similar. Doesn't look like there's a rush to put backsides in seats, at least not light coloured backsides.

It's not as if there's no opportunity to see this play. While the "Black Out" performance is sold out, the seat availability for the performances on the evening before and the evening after look like this.

View attachment 76106 View attachment 76105

The blue dots are available seats. Seat availability for the other six performances are somewhat similar. Doesn't look like there's a rush to put backsides in seats, at least not light coloured backsides.
So one could easily argue that there is zero requirement to have a segregated showing, apart from ideology...

Not letting race A watch a play is like not letting race B ride a bus.

This world is going full steam of the cliff edge.
I think the pendelum is swinging back toward common sense and reasonable people voicing their opinions on the "super woke" and their minions.

Alternatively, they have a less fundamentalist or dogmatic view of the religion than you or others might. They express and practice their understanding of their faith as they see fit, including some flexibility on their part where they see it as necessary to suit their ethic or service, and they are accommodated by the institution to the degree reasonably necessary. Nothing wrong with that.
Irrelevant, I'm only discussing whether this is permissible in the Sikh forces - Khalsa.

If he was then he's now excommunicated.

This was a cheap publicity stunt that I remember & compared it to.

This is our internal issue.

Back