• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

25 Skills Every Man Should Know - Popular Mechanics article

Remember, this is a list which was made by men. It isn't officially approved of by the other subspecies.  ;D

Okay a little hijack. On regard of building a campfire, what is the best way you use to make a fire WITHOUT a lighter or matches. Mine is awesome but I want to hear all of yours first ^-^

Mike Baker said:
Okay a little hijack. On regard of building a campfire, what is the best way you use to make a fire WITHOUT a lighter or matches. Mine is awesome but I want to hear all of yours first ^-^

Iodine, aluminium & pinesol ...  ;)
(as any Scout leader should know)

Do I qualify to be a man now??  :)

ArmyVern said:

According to your OWN criteria, we'd need to see a picture of you in assless chaps before we could make that decision.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
According to your OWN criteria, we'd need to see a picture of you in assless chaps before we could make that decision.

;D

Roy Harding said:

Roy

Those pics are in another province right now.  ;)

Maybe later ...

Maybe not ...

Wanna trade??  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Iodine, aluminium & pinesol ...  ;)
(as any Scout leader should know)

Yes. But mine is cool too. First, get one of those magnesium/flint fire sticks, like a 'Light My Fire' one. Then, get some cotton balls an swab some petroleum jelly on it. Then, once that is done, use the flint stick to make a spark that will catch the cotton. The Petroleum jelly will keep it burning for about five minutes depending on how much you use an the size of the cotton. Told you it was cool  ;D

That sounds more like "little boy playing with fire, douse as necessary!!"

GAP said:
That sounds more like "little boy playing with fire, douse as necessary!!"
Actually I showed it to my mom today an she was amazed an proud of me  ^-^

Well, I'm short on a few of those things, but I don't give a rat's rectum about those anyway.

I can hover, and decently perform a few other skills not likely to appear in PM.

So what are we up to now ... ?

#27)  Not afraid to wear and be photographed in assless chaps?

That's a different kind of manly-man!  And I thought PM stood for Popular Mechanics, not Potential Masochists or some other BDSM type reference.

And buy the buy --> I'm 24 of 25 as I refuse to touch my brakes.  Safety first dontchaknow.  If the truck won't run or roll after I've worked on it, it's my fault. 
If I can't stop the damned thing once it is rolling ... well, that's the makings of a really bad day.  :-[

Skookum Duck said:
So what are we up to now ... ?

#27)  Not afraid to wear and be photographed in assless chaps?

That's a different kind of manly-man!  And I thought PM stood for Popular Mechanics, not Potential Masochists or some other BDSM type reference.

And buy the buy --> I'm 24 of 25 as I refuse to touch my brakes.  Safety first dontchaknow.  If the truck won't run or roll after I've worked on it, it's my fault. 
If I can't stop the damned thing once it is rolling ... well, that's the makings of a really bad day.   :-[
Having a good understanding of your braking system can lead to better safety though. ;)  They really aren't something an "amateur" should be afraid of.

Of course, it worked the other way when I was a teenager.... leaking wheel cylinders or rotted lines usually meant those wheels were crimped off leaving the other brakes functional.  Even down to running on 1 front brake. :o  You know what they say about a little bit of knowledge being dangerous.  Some of the beaters i ran on the roads were pretty spectacular in the way they were held together.

DirtyDog said:
Having a good understanding of your braking system can lead to better safety though. ;)  They really aren't something an "amateur" should be afraid of.

Of course, it worked the other way when I was a teenager.... leaking wheel cylinders or rotted lines usually meant those wheels were crimped off leaving the other brakes functional.  Even down to running on 1 front brake. :o  You know what they say about a little bit of knowledge being dangerous.  Some of the beaters i ran on the roads were pretty spectacular in the way they were held together.

God bless gun tape and baling wire (and my use of gun tape precedes the advent of "The Red Green Show").

Roy

Mike Baker said:
Actually I showed it to my mom today an she was amazed an proud of me  ^-^ 

Wait a sec... so you carry magnesium, cotton balls and petroleum jelly with you every time you go into the woods? 

GreyMatter said:
Wait a sec... so you carry magnesium, cotton balls and petroleum jelly with you every time you go into the woods? 

Well, rarely do I carry magnesium, but cotton balls and petroleum jelly are never far from me   >:D

Okay a little hijack. On regard of building a campfire, what is the best way you use to make a fire WITHOUT a lighter or matches.

My magic trick involved Potassium permanganate and Gycerin.

Under "Douse as necessary" I submit , two bolts screwed end to end into
a single nut - between them, match heads. Just about fragged the neighbour!

They were very large bolts... ;D

Back