• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses

How would the weapon defrenciate from friendly and hostile. I am sure if you hover over a friendly a bullet would comeout anyway. Unless everyone is wearing a barcode or something.

Bravosixniner said:
How would the weapon defrenciate from friendly and hostile. I am sure if you hover over a friendly a bullet would comeout anyway. Unless everyone is wearing a barcode or something.
You didn't even read the article, did you? It's explained quite clearly.  Instead of spamming the site with more than a half-dozen posts in the hour since you've joined, you really should do some reading.

Edit:  I see the Mods have already caught your name change from dcan3154 to alphaaasfckkk and now a second account under the name Bravosixniner -- although with the same mindless spamming technique.  :facepalm:

recceguy said:
Electronics will break or distort at the most inopportune times.

Basic musketry won't.

I've seen his already with GPS. People relying too much on it and then trying to use a compass as a back up with no idea how to do a re-section or properly orient themselves because their batteries died.

DARPA's steerable bullets in the news again:

Endgadget.com

DARPA's steerable bullet proves it can hit moving targets

DARPA announced that its self-steering bullet program, dubbed the Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO), passed another developmental milestone in late February. Per an administration release, and the video below, experienced and novice shooters alike were able to strike moving targets. And, in the case of expert shooters, able to hit actively evading targets as well.

(...SNIPPED0

S.M.A. said:
DARPA's steerable bullets in the news again:

Endgadget.com

Why are they reinventing the wheel? Just copy the alien bullet technology responsible for the Kennedy Assassination. They have the bullets in the evidence collection. Unless ….

I tried out the Trackpoint simulator at Shot. It certainly helps you hit the target and removes some factors, but will not guarantee a hit. Say you are aiming for an elk. You select the target, press the acquisition button, it then starts to track it, but if the target changes shape to much such as aspect, it will lose the lock and you have to start over again. You can input crosswind and a couple of other factors that it adjusts for. When you have the lock, you pull the trigger, but the gun will not fire until it senses the muzzle is correctly aligned with the target and input data.

Colin P said:
I tried out the Trackpoint simulator at Shot. It certainly helps you hit the target and removes some factors, but will not guarantee a hit. Say you are aiming for an elk. You select the target, press the acquisition button, it then starts to track it, but if the target changes shape to much such as aspect, it will lose the lock and you have to start over again. You can input crosswind and a couple of other factors that it adjusts for. When you have the lock, you pull the trigger, but the gun will not fire until it senses the muzzle is correctly aligned with the target and input data.

so, if you see the head of an insurgent lets say, hit the acquisition button, press the trigger but then the target stands up and walks, you'll have to reset and do that all over?
How bad a shot do you have to be for this to be a measurable improvement?
( I guess if you are that bad, it might be hard for you to keep the aim-point in a specific area for the system to recognize it as the target)

That's what I saw from it, to be fair I had all of 3 minutes on the device and by no means an expert. I can see how it can help an average shooter or a very tired good shooter increase the chance of a hit.

Back