• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AAD and NGS (split from JSS Amphib Capability thread)

Assumptions tend to get good people killed...and you know what they say about assume..... ::)

Right now, one of the big personnel problems is not the manning level of the ship.

It's the fact that to get 100% crew on a ship when it's going to sail, you need to have between 130-150% of the regular personnel posted/attach posted to the ship.

When a HR ship sails for 6 months, look at the sick lame and lazy running to the MIR to get out of it.  We were briefed that for a HR ship to sail with a full complement, there's over 150% of the crew required.

That's crazy.

Didn't these people realize that they joined the NAVY????

Anyhow, yes, I think the point above that army folks on ships (ie BHS) will need to be trained in the basics of shipboard damage control and fire-fighting.  Anyone else remember Tom Clancy's book "Red Storm Rising"?  Where they invaded Iceland using a BHS?  The army "riders" on that ship were parts of the DC organization.  When the ship caught a harpoon, they managed to put the fire out and not lose the ship.  I'm not saying that we should use a fictional novel as a precedent for instituting a training program.  But, we should consider that the riders will need some basic seamanship stuff to learn how to get along with us....I mean, we have to explain the whole no-saluting zone thing to them, then there'd be navy terms....what's gash?  How about duff? 

Oh, and back to my 120mm AMOS, I ran across and artillery officer (forward observer/fire guy) and ran the idea past him, and he liked the sound of it. 

NS

Thinking out loud...seeing how the Germans have successfully tested a 155mm howitzer to the deck of one of their Brandenburgs how hard would it be for us to do similiar experiment using surplus Leopard C2 turrets? Basically we would end up with a gun similiar to the Brit Vickers 4.5".Thoughts?

Is the range of the weapon within the requirements for NGS, or are you thinking of a barrel change as well? 

Or perhaps you were thinking of an M109 turret?

Kirkhill said:
Or perhaps you were thinking of an M109 turret?

Nope...was thinking LeoC2 turret but GW says the range is approx 3000m so that would be of no use as an NGS platform.

Was looking at a battleship website...some interesting ideas. Unlikely to see the light of day but an interesting approach:

http://www.combatreform.com/battleships.htm

How about creating a 2-part turret (much like the LAV 25mm with TOW turret) where-in you would use the Pzh2000 155mm turret with a 4-canister MLRS mounted on the shoulder (or two 2-canisters MLRS on each shoulder if that would improve balance)?  That way you could provide a much greater depth of coverage.

Matthew.  :salute:  :cdn:

Matt the problem with that is it would have a wicked radar cross section which could be a real bad thing.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Thinking out loud...seeing how the Germans have successfully tested a 155mm howitzer to the deck of one of their Brandenburgs how hard would it be for us to do similiar experiment using surplus Leopard C2 turrets? Basically we would end up with a gun similiar to the Brit Vickers 4.5".Thoughts?

You cannot compare a direct fire tank gun with a howitzer, well not for NGS anyway.  Period.

And, yes I have directed the 4.5 many times so have an inkling of what I speak. 

commando gunner said:

Ah yes, the infamous Vickers 4.5 - drunken, wobbly to junior to the 5"54 and lover of the busted shear pin!! Those were the days.  ::)

commando gunner said:
You cannot compare a direct fire tank gun with a howitzer, well not for NGS anyway.  Period.

And had you read my reply #226 you would have also seen I dismissed my idea as well...take a pill.

So CG what would be our best route to go for NGS?

Revisting an old topic, I wonder how an MLRS pod would do using an MCDV sweep deck as its platform. Would this be an adequate platform for NGS?

I'd be concerned for the stability of the platform...

I don't think the MCDV's would be able to handle the excess weight and be stable enough.

NS

LOL I figured you would be the first to respond.....I wonder if we could charter a sea lift vessel and do the same?

Like the Brit Harrier carriers a la Falklands?

Interesting idea, but putting a chartered ship within range of return fire from shore?  Some unhappy civies on there for sure.

NS

True or in the event we need to gey NGS in a hurry there are a lot of ships for sale out there...as long our guys could figure out how to sail, put rudimentary DC gear on and let them practice with a few rounds we might be able to do it.

Ack I just became an Amry.Ca fixture....

My AMOS suggestion was submitted to the MARE Journal by my CSE last month...wonder if they'll print it....

NS

Back