• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......

PushToStart said:
Hence it is spurious to reject applicants on the basis of an ADHD diagnosis.

....and that's based on your 0% experience in the Armed Forces?

The rules exist for a reason, if at some point they change in the future it will be because experienced doctors who know what they're talking about in regards to a military environment say so.

Actually, I completed basic and infantry training many years ago, on no meds. I would suggest that we all regard with respect first-hand experience, experience with people who have been diagnosed with learning disabilities, as well as medical advice. As any psychiatrist will tell you, the jury is still out in the scientific community on many of the issues I've commented on here. It's also notable that there tends to be no ADHD influence on physical performance. In terms of intellectual tasks, I do, in fact, possess the expertise to comment on performance and evaluation. There is full disclosure of learning disabilities in colleges and universities, and there's no replacement for experience in our constant struggle to make sense of new and emerging 'disorders.' If you take issue with any of the points I have raised, I suggest that you address these directly, as opposed to focusing fallaciously on the author. This isn't meant to be a competition but an intellectual exchange. You may choose to ignore it but it may be of value to others.

EpicBeardedMan said:
....and that's based on your 0% experience in the Armed Forces?

The rules exist for a reason, if at some point they change in the future it will be because experienced doctors who know what they're talking about in regards to a military environment say so.

I am not sure why this was assumed. It's false, as my response indicates. There seems to be a defensiveness in this thread. My goal is only to help. Cheers.

Your information right now serves only to give people false hope. Every individual is evaluated on their condition at enrollment, and if its serious enough, they're not suitable to serve. If you have practical experience with ADHD diagnosis, treatment and its effect on military service, send it to D Med Pol in Ottawa. No one here is going to change the rules, and your "information" will just create strain on the system when an applicant says "Well this random person on the internet with unverifiable service and medical credentials says I should be fine, so I'm fine." The enrollment medical system has likely seen changes since you had your brief service in CAF (over 20 years ago), as has the nature of military service.

If you read through this thread, you'll find some success stories where people were misdiagnosed as youth, and lots of stories where people were denied. Again, medical doctors (not higher education instructors) make these rules for who gets in. I'm very comfortable with their ability to find the best people for the job, the CAF is allowed to discriminate against disabilities due to the unique nature of military service and deployed environments.

You also completely failed to address the definition of ADHD:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Definition

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

Inattention means a person wanders off task, lacks persistence, has difficulty sustaining focus, and is disorganized; and these problems are not due to defiance or lack of comprehension.

Hyperactivity means a person seems to move about constantly, including in situations in which it is not appropriate; or excessively fidgets, taps, or talks. In adults, it may be extreme restlessness or wearing others out with constant activity.

Impulsivity means a person makes hasty actions that occur in the moment without first thinking about them and that may have high potential for harm; or a desire for immediate rewards or inability to delay gratification. An impulsive person may be socially intrusive and excessively interrupt others or make important decisions without considering the long-term consequences.

Inattention, hyperactivity or impulsivity (especially high potential for harm) are not traits I want for someone in a challenging combat situation. How does your experience see these symptoms manifest under high levels of stress without medication available? I'm willing to bet your anecdotal experience hasn't covered that extremely important situation.

The Armed Forces do not exist to provide fun employment to people. They exist to defend this Country. That involves a variety of severe stresses and challenges, the need to kill people when required, and the need to function and survive under those conditions. Lives, mission success, and expensive and often irreplaceable equipment depend upon having the fittest and best-trained people possible. Reality can be harsh and unforgiveable.

Medical standards exist for good and valid reason. They have been challenged and effectively defended. I doubt that you'd find any currently-serving, or former, member willing to have somebody who does not meet medical (and other) standards serving beside them when lives are at stake.

Meet the standards, and enrollment is likely. Do not meet them, and do not expect to be enrolled. That may not be nice for the applicant, but it is necessary and right.

Before I begin my post, I wanted to let you guys know I've searched and tediously read every post of the 23 pages of this thread lol (was exhausting)

My post is different because; it pertains to today and now, which is 7 hours after my medical exam (most posts ask in advance of their medical exams), and because I've never seen any post discuss ADD without receiving a letter for your GP to fill out.

Perfect hearing, perfect vision, in perfect health. I even came prepared with past vision and hearing tests, FORCE test results and 6 years of academic honour roll and distinction awards, which he appreciated my preparedness, but didn't require the documents. I mentioned my 'borderline' ADD diagnosis when I was 8-11 years old and having not taken medication since the age of 13. He presumed my ADD long resolved, and I had good chemistry with my evaluator. He sent me home without doing a sheet for my GP to fill out, not a drug test. I know I'm the end of the day it's up to the MO's in Ottawa, as previously read.

I assume this is a good sign with regards to my ADD. Thoughts? Experience?

Also what's the next step? I would assume a long wait haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read through twenty-three pages, I'd guess that you don't have ADD.

Regardless, don't overthink or worry about things too much.

JMei001 said:
He sent me home without doing a sheet for my GP to fill out, not a drug test.

They don't do drug tests for applicants so nothing out of the ordinary there..

EpicBeardedMan said:
They don't do drug tests for applicants so nothing out of the ordinary there..
There's an entire other post to comment about, I was more curious about not getting a letter to being to my doctor.

JMei001 said:
There's an entire other post to comment about, I was more curious about not getting a letter to being to my doctor.

Comment about what? What exactly are you looking for? If you have a question regarding anything medical related and your application then contact your CFRC. As you said, you searched through 23 pages and couldn't find your answer..so why not just call the CFRC and get an answer from them? I also find it hard to believe you don't know the next step after a medical as there are several posts about just that.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Comment about what? What exactly are you looking for? If you have a question regarding anything medical related and your application then contact your CFRC. As you said, you searched through 23 pages and couldn't find your answer..so why not just call the CFRC and get an answer from them?
My question was one of opinion. I disclosed ADD to the med tech. I was asking what this means if he let me go without a letter to fill by my doctor to vouch for me like the people in previous posts have received. I think all this information is stated quite clearly in my post? Why would I contact my CFRC for something of subjective opinion. Seems mundane and frivolous.

Loachman said:
If you read through twenty-three pages, I'd guess that you don't have ADD.

Regardless, don't overthink or worry about things too much.
Thanks bud, it's a lifelong dream, so it can get quite nerve-wracking and I tend to overthink in situations that matter a lot to me!

JMei001 said:
I was asking what this means if he let me go without a letter to fill by my doctor to vouch for me like the people in previous posts have received.
Why would anyone here know anything about what your CFRC medical staff did or did not do and why? If you don't see how calling the CFRC and talking to the medical staff that did the testing to clarify your disclosure of ADD then noone here can help you, that much is clear..because, once again..

EpicBeardedMan said:
Because you are asking questions that literally noone but your CFRC would know.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Why would anyone here know anything about what your CFRC medical staff did or did not do and why? If you don't see how calling the CFRC and talking to the medical staff that did the testing to clarify your disclosure of ADD then noone here can help you, that much is clear.
No one said that anyone here would know what my CFRC staff did. Again, I wanted opinions on how my situation differs from others in the past 23 pages of this thread. If the answer to that is 'contact your CFRC' then that seems this thread useless. The answer 'contact your CFRC' would be appropriate if I asked a question like, "can I get into the military if I take medication for disease x?" Again, my question is a subjective one, that pertains to post-medical exam, especially since most people who seemed to have had ADD were presented with a letter to be vouched for by their physician.

JMei001 said:
No one said that anyone here would know what my CFRC staff did. Again, I wanted opinions on how my situation differs from others in the past 23 pages of this thread. If the answer to that is 'contact your CFRC' then that seems this thread useless. The answer 'contact your CFRC' would be appropriate if I asked a question like, "can I get into the military if I take medication for disease x?" Again, my question is a subjective one, that pertains to post-medical exam, especially since most people who seemed to have had ADD were presented with a letter to be vouched for by their physician.

So, you weren't given a letter like the others. What do you think that means? If you seriously can't figure this out you're going to have a rough time in the Forces.

EpicBeardedMan said:
So, you weren't given a letter like the others. What do you think that means? If you seriously can't figure this out you're going to have a rough time in the Forces.

Let it go.

You are not contributing anything useful.

JMei001 said:
Thanks bud, it's a lifelong dream, so it can get quite nerve-wracking and I tend to overthink in situations that matter a lot to me!

So far, you have done everything asked and expected of you. There is no more that you can do now but wait.

Put effort and concern into things within your control. For those things outside of your control, you have no choice but to ride them out. Worrying about those things can be counter-productive.

Go for a run, read a book, have a beer, watch a movie. Far better uses of your time.

Loachman said:
Let it go.

You are not contributing anything useful.

Yes I can see how telling him to use his head isnt contributing anything useful and is trolling but telling him to go play outside and read a book is.  :salute: Seen.

There is no need to go on and on in that fashion.

You may be an absolutely wonderful person in real life. That is not how you are coming across here, though, and not just in this last exchange. Some patience and diplomacy is seldom a bad thing.

Loachman said:
There is no need to go on and on in that fashion.

You may be an absolutely wonderful person in real life. That is not how you are coming across here, though, and not just in this last exchange. Some patience and diplomacy is seldom a bad thing.
I don't mean to continue to comment, as further abstaining is the adult thing to do in such a situation, but disrespectfully deconstructing my post is not the way to go about things, regardless of how it makes you feel. This thread is for those seeking answers to questions they may have regarding the recruiting process, *no matter* if it's been asked "a million times."  Sure, the onus on a curious person is to do a search, but with many years of information worth of threads, the task can become extremely tedious. A 30 second question can be answered with a **proper** thirty second answer, and a link to the previous question providing the info is correct.

Also, refer back to what the Reddit moderator had told you.

Back