• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

The exact same thing happened to me after my CFAT except my counsellor wasn't able to somehow get me into AEC.  I too have an english degree and my marks weren't the greatest.  I also qualified for all the officer trades except AEC in which I was just under the mark for.  I'm going for my second choice still but makes me kinda cheesed to hear about that.  Good for you though...hope things continue to go well with the rest of your process.  Had my medical and interview this past Monday and all went well.  Just waiting to hear back on an offer now.

Based on what I think how I did on the CFAT, I think I probably got the worse mark on the English section. I didn't have enough time for it, but even if I did, I still wouldn't do well on it. I didn't even know what most of the words on the test meant so I had to guess more than half of the questions. English has always been my weakness in school and I'm getting a degree in it just to improve. The rest was pretty easy and I was confident that almost all my answers were correct. I had around 13-15 minutes left each for the 3 other sections so I went over the questions over and over again.

If there was a leeway for CFAT scores, I would suspect my English degree kind of make up for my horrible mark on the English section. The interesting part was how he looked for my Math mark though. Maybe AEC courses require more Math than English skills?

I am going to ask if I could go through Aircrew selection as well just to see if I fully qualify for Pilot and/or Air Nav. This way, I would have a higher chance of getting a job offer. Right now, I am happy to be safe with AEC.  :)

Celticgirl, I was directed to another person at the end so that I could book my medical and interview. Everyone who passed the test was told to call the CFRC in 3 weeks to book appointments as they are all full for the rest of the month. CFRC Vancouver is always so busy though so I think it is much easier for me to drop by and book an appointment instead.

Airbrat, I definitely know how you feel about this whole AEC thing. For the few minutes when I still thought I didn't make it into AEC, I was a little disappointed in my own ability I guess. I was happy about Pilot and Air Nav though so I wasn't sad or anything. At least you are doing quite well with the rest of your application. I still have medical and interview to get through!  :)

By the way, I had to fill out this security clearance form before the test. The lady in charge told us that those of us who have immediate family members currently working outside of Canada might take longer to do security clearance. She told us to talk to her after about our situation so that she could send an e-mail to Ottawa right away, but none of us got the chance as we didn't know where she went after we finished the test. Does anybody have experience with this?

Celticgirl said:
I'm actually surprised that AEC requires a higher score than pilot or air nav!

Yes, AEC does require a higher score.

Kruggle said:
By the way, I had to fill out this security clearance form before the test. The lady in charge told us that those of us who have immediate family members currently working outside of Canada might take longer to do security clearance. She told us to talk to her after about our situation so that she could send an e-mail to Ottawa right away, but none of us got the chance as we didn't know where she went after we finished the test. Does anybody have experience with this?
What they actually do is called a 'pre-security screening'(unless changed since I left recruiting).  When the applicant has lived or worked a certain period(not sure how many months) outside Canada, or has immediate relatives living outside Canada the 'pre-security screening' has to be complete before further processing.  Depending on the countries the applicant has, or the relatives currently live in, can determine how long this screening can take.  So when necessary a 'no objections' to obtaining a security clearance has to be received from DPMSec before further processing the applicant.
I hope this helps, and doesn't further confuse anybody.

Yeah, the CFAT score needed for AEC is up there. You can imagine I was some distressed when I passed that, but didn't have the right vision cat eh? :p Oh well, laser surgery for me in 2 years and then I might see one of you around in the bunker (That is if any of you are going for Air Weapons, and if they let me switch into the trade haha.)

People like Celticgirl and Kruggle, once you finish your training out at the Nav Can school, let me know how it went! I'm still quite attached the the trade as it was my first choice and I'd be happy to hear from some people who actually got in. :)

Gazoo said:
What they actually do is called a 'pre-security screening'(unless changed since I left recruiting).  When the applicant has lived or worked a certain period(not sure how many months) outside Canada, or has immediate relatives living outside Canada the 'pre-security screening' has to be complete before further processing.  Depending on the countries the applicant has, or the relatives currently live in, can determine how long this screening can take.  So when necessary a 'no objections' to obtaining a security clearance has to be received from DPMSec before further processing the applicant.

This is what the hold-up is for me - the 'pre-security screening'. I have passed the CFAT, interview, and medical but because I lived and worked in Taiwan from 1998-1999, I have to await this clearance. My file manager said it can take up to 18 months and it's already coming up on two. I am trying to be patient, but I'm pretty certain I won't be waiting a year and a half. I'm no spring chicken, after all. ;)

What I am wondering now is with regards to trades and this security screening - if I were to go with a different trade and/or apply to the reserves, would I still need to await the clearance?

Celticgirl said:
Other than the different systems or "rules" for each area, I discovered (via the interactive feature on the recruitment site) that IFR controllers work out of a terminal control centre, whereas VFR controllers work out of a control tower. I'm repeating this for others who may be wondering the same things, but who are afraid to ask a question here.

VFR controllers deal with the traffic that can be directed from the tower. This includes such facets as ground control, and VFR take offs, approaches, and landings. Their most important instruments are their eyes. VFR controllers do have instruments, but not nearly the same kind that they have down in the IFR control room.

On the IFR side, the 'terminal control center' as you have called it, is actually a dark room usually underground. Most of the lighting comes from the multitude of radar screens and radio stacks haha. I was in the IFR control room at Whidby Island NAS in the US on a tour, as well as the one at CFB Comox. The controllers there are responsible for aircraft flying at cruising altitude around or through the airspace, and also providing precision radar approach and direction for IFR aircraft. IFR controllers have access to their instruments under most limiting conditions suffered by VFR, such as fog, heavy rain, or just night.

Hope this makes the difference even more clear in terms of what each one does. If I got anything terribly wrong, I apologize. I don't know 100% how the military runs the air traffic control system. This is kind of a hodgepodge of what I know from civvie flying and what I know from researching the AEC trade in the forces.

Intelligent Design said:
People like Celticgirl and Kruggle, once you finish your training out at the Nav Can school, let me know how it went! I'm still quite attached the the trade as it was my first choice and I'd be happy to hear from some people who actually got in. :)

I haven't even been offered a position yet, so you'll have to wait on that one for a while.  :p

Intelligent Design said:
VFR controllers deal with the traffic that can be directed from the tower. This includes such facets as ground control, and VFR take offs, approaches, and landings. Their most important instruments are their eyes. VFR controllers do have instruments, but not nearly the same kind that they have down in the IFR control room.

On the IFR side, the 'terminal control center' as you have called it, is actually a dark room usually underground. Most of the lighting comes from the multitude of radar screens and radio stacks haha. I was in the IFR control room at Whidby Island NAS in the US on a tour, as well as the one at CFB Comox. The controllers there are responsible for aircraft flying at cruising altitude around or through the airspace, and also providing precision radar approach and direction for IFR aircraft. IFR controllers have access to their instruments under most limiting conditions suffered by VFR, such as fog, heavy rain, or just night.

Hope this makes the difference even more clear in terms of what each one does. If I got anything terribly wrong, I apologize. I don't know 100% how the military runs the air traffic control system. This is kind of a hodgepodge of what I know from civvie flying and what I know from researching the AEC trade in the forces.

Thanks, ID. I actually have been studying up on this for the past two months and have a little binder filled with info on the various aspects of AEC/ATC. (Tres nerdy, huh?) ;) It's all pretty clear to me now, and I am definitely leaning towards VFR, but would be happy with IFR as well (weapons being my third choice, sorry Gazoo!).

Celticgirl said:
This is what the hold-up is for me - the 'pre-security screening'. I have passed the CFAT, interview, and medical but because I lived and worked in Taiwan from 1998-1999, I have to await this clearance. My file manager said it can take up to 18 months and it's already coming up on two. I am trying to be patient, but I'm pretty certain I won't be waiting a year and a half. I'm no spring chicken, after all. ;)

What I am wondering now is with regards to trades and this security screening - if I were to go with a different trade and/or apply to the reserves, would I still need to await the clearance?
The screening is the same process no matter what the occupation or element choice.  Once again if I remember right the time period is ten years continuous in Canada, so maybe when you hit the ten year mark the process will no longer be required.  I know I had a couple of people in that position when I was in recruiting, and when they hit the ten year point in Canada we stopped the screening process.  To be sure ask someone at the recruiting centre.

Gazoo said:
The screening is the same process no matter what the occupation or element choice.  Once again if I remember right the time period is ten years continuous in Canada, so maybe when you hit the ten year mark the process will no longer be required.  I know I had a couple of people in that position when I was in recruiting, and when they hit the ten year point in Canada we stopped the screening process.  To be sure ask someone at the recruiting centre.

Thanks for the info, Gazoo. Unfortunately, I am 13 months away from that 10-year mark.

Gazoo said:

Thanks for your reply. I think the lady said if an applicant has lived or worked 6 months or under, it's fine. As for myself, my sister has been working outside of Canada for a few years now and she also declared non-residency.  :-\

I assume that they know who my family members are as they haven't asked me to provide any names or anything.

Intelligent Design said:
Yeah, the CFAT score needed for AEC is up there. You can imagine I was some distressed when I passed that, but didn't have the right vision cat eh? :p Oh well, laser surgery for me in 2 years and then I might see one of you around in the bunker (That is if any of you are going for Air Weapons, and if they let me switch into the trade haha.)

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I won't pass my Medical actually. Sigh.

Celticgirl said:
Thanks for the info, Gazoo. Unfortunately, I am 13 months away from that 10-year mark.

At least you know you will be good to go in under 13 months then. Better late than never.  ;D

Kruggle said:
Thanks for your reply. I think the lady said if an applicant has lived or worked 6 months or under, it's fine. As for myself, my sister had been working outside of Canada for a few years now and she also declared non-residency.  :-\

I assume that they know who my family members are as they haven't asked me to provide any names or anything.

This can't be the same form I filled out then because they DID ask me to provide names of immediate family members along with many details about where they live and work. I also had to give the name, address, and phone number of a neighbour. I guess they want to know if I keep a well-manicured lawn and get my garbage out on time. ;)

Intelligent Design said:
On the IFR side, the 'terminal control center' as you have called it, is actually a dark room usually underground.

Oh Yeah......where ?

I havent been to an underground military IFR facility yet.

as well as the one at CFB Comox.

Speaking of above ground IFRCC.......

New recruits want to hear from people 'in the know'.

Now that is an excellent point, isn't Intelligent Design?

Back