• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

The Int Branch is a small trade so it might appear to some, or they may describe it as, that there are 'only a few openings'.  However, there are proportionately just as many higher positions as any other trade.  In my own opinion I think there are proportionately more higher rank positions than in most other trades, considering the ratio at most units of men to officers is often 3:1 or even 2:1. 

ltmaverick25 said:
Is that the same video that they have on the recruiting website?  Ive seen that one, I just got off the phone with the CFRC where I live and they said they did not have anything different.

The AEC DVD is an interactive media product. The videos on the recruiting site are just one small aspect of that DVD. A comparative analogy would be the difference between a game trailer and the actual video game.

Aerospaced_out said:
The AEC DVD is an interactive media product. The videos on the recruiting site are just one small aspect of that DVD. A comparative analogy would be the difference between a game trailer and the actual video game.

Is the DVD you're talking about the one that contains an offline version of the CF Aerospace Control World website seen here: http://www.forces.ca/v3/media/modules/controller/splash.html ?

Yes, that does appear to be an online version of the DVD... at least what I saw through this dang dial-up connection.

Aerospaced_out said:
WTF is this about? One position for what and under what plan (CEOTP?)?
Celticgirl... what's this about a merit list? Is it for AECs or for a particular plan?

Let's just say I am appalled at the lack of clarity you people are facing.

Oops, I just noticed this post now. I was never told I was merit-listed, in my case. The Capt. who was working on my file simply told me that my pre-security clearance came through and that the selection board was meeting later that week. On the day the board met, he called to tell me that I'd been selected for AEC. However, others on this site have said that one must be merit-listed in order to be selected. I think it is the same for everyone, regardless of plan, element, or NCM/Officer. What happens after merit-listing varies, obviously. The whole 'merit list' concept is a bit of a mystery to applicants as we are often not told much (or anything, as in my case) about it.  :p

LuvsMud, I hope you have received some good news since your last post on this thread. I was told that there were no more AEC positions for my area right before the selection board was to meet, and that they were going to try to get one from another area. I didn't even realize they could do that, but clearly it's possible so perhaps they can do the same in your case. Give us an update on your application status when you can. Hopefully, I'll see you at the Mega in January! :)

Merit listing for AEC requires that the Air Crew medical or Air Factor be completed prior to selection. However the Air Factor Medical does not mean a trip to Toronto like Pilots have to do. You needed extra tests done (blood work and eye exams for sure, maybe more) and those results are sent to AUMB in Toronto who assigns an Air factor.

AEC is Open Selection List (OSL) so once you are merit listed the CFRC selection  / production officer selects you and assigns you a position in the occupation and a BMOQ course serial. There is no board just one person running merit lists and assigning applicants to vacancies.  If the CFRC does not have any vacancy for you then they can ask for one to be transferred from another CFRC, so if one is available you will get an offer. 

There are more DEO positions than CEOTP so that might be the problem finding a vacancy. 

CFR FCS said:
There are more DEO positions than CEOTP so that might be the problem finding a vacancy. 

Seeing as only about 50 of the 86 positions required to meet current fiscal year intake requirements have been achieved there should be no problems with anyone getting an offer for AEC so long as all other requirement for entry into the occupation were met. There are valid reasons why recruitment is biased to certain entry plans but having the people is more important than those factors.

Aerospaced_out said:
Yes, that does appear to be an online version of the DVD... at least what I saw through this dang dial-up connection.

What I saw on the website is identical to the one the recruiting website has except there are two listed on the site above.  One is a generic air force video which is not on the recruiting site, the other that is aerospace specific is the exact same one.

Has the Aircrew factor changed for AEC?
I have passed all my medical testing (blood, urine, ECG), and had laser eye surgery done (as I have V4), and had my optometrist sign off on my vision (i now have 20/20).  I submitted the document into my CFRC, and was then told a month or so later (3 months after my operation) that I had to wait an additional 3 months, as I have to go for further testing for Aircrew selection.

Now this is completely different from everything I have read and been told previously.  Can anyone confirm this?  Thanks for your help!

I know that your eyes cannot be cleared until 90 days after the date of surgery, my friend is going through that right now.  There is no requirement to wait another 3 months unless they think its just going to take that long to get the rest of your admin done.

What exactly does A4 mean anyway?  I used to have a link describing the medcats but that never covered the air factor.

ltmaverick25 said:
What exactly does A4 mean anyway?

Safety of the aircraft not affected if member were to become incapacitated.

A4 - assigned to all aircrew who are medically fit for unrestricted airborne duty but whose duties do not entail actual operation of the aircraft to which they are assigned. If such individuals were to become incapacitated they would not create a hazard to aircraft operation nor impede the safe return of the aircraft to the ground. An A4 classification may be annotated "While So Employed" (WSE) when it is assigned to members of MOCs which are not normally associated with flying. Air Traffic Control and Air Weapons Control personnel must also maintain an A4 category for unrestricted employment;

Is that another way of saying you occupy a position on the aircraft that does not involve flying or something to that effect?

ltmaverick25 said:
Is that another way of saying you occupy a position on the aircraft that does not involve flying or something to that effect?

Yes...read my edit above.

Before anyone asks.....

Air Factors
A1 - assigned to pilots who are medically fit for unrestricted duty in all CF aircraft;

A2 - assigned to navigators, flight engineers, observers and helicopter reconnaissance observers who are medically fit for unrestricted duty in all CF aircraft where such positions are required;

A3 - assigned to those aircrew members for whom a medical restriction has been identified. An A3 classification will always clearly stipulate the specific limitations to be imposed;

A4 - assigned to all aircrew who are medically fit for unrestricted airborne duty but whose duties do not entail actual operation of the aircraft to which they are assigned. If such individuals were to become incapacitated they would not create a hazard to aircraft operation nor impede the safe return of the aircraft to the ground. An A4 classification may be annotated "While So Employed" (WSE) when it is assigned to members of MOCs which are not normally associated with flying. Air Traffic Control and Air Weapons Control personnel must also maintain an A4 category for unrestricted employment;

A5 - assigned to all non-aircrew members of the CF who are medically fit to fly as passengers in CF aircraft;

A6 - this grade is assigned to all CF members who are considered medically unfit to fly in any capacity; and

A7 - this grade is assigned to all aircrew personnel who are medically unfit for any flight duty in CF aircraft but who may still fly as passengers.

Aerospaced_out said:
I'll be interested in the response you get from them.

I confirmed the aircrew factor for AEC is A4.

However, when I contacted my CFRC this morning, and inquired into the aircrew factor.  Basically I was told what I had already knew, in concerns to the medical testing for aircrew status (blood, urine, ecg, vision test), which I have already done in July 2008.  Due to the vision testing, I was rated V4, thus I have gone through successful laser eye surgery, and now have 20/20 vision, 4+ months after surgery. 

During this whole process I have been in touch with Medical staff out of CFRC Hamilton, in which I was informed I needed to wait for 90 days after surgery to have my eyes re-evaluated, if my optometrist signed off on them, in which he did.  Now I am being told that I need to wait 6 months and then go for further testing.  This part I am finding confusing as what further testing do I need to go through?  This question my application manager could not answer, however I am now going to challenge the decision behind me having to wait an additional 3 months, when my optometrist has cleared my vision.

Thus I am contacting a MWO, I beleive he is a PA, at my CFRC to fight this, on Monday.  Does anyone know anything further on this, or experiences with this?  I know this isn't really the correct thread for this but it is a bit of a mixed question.

What an ordeal, but I feel like the wheels are moving, so atleast it is a step in the right direction :), and I so want AEC over LOG! 

Back