• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

Thanks both of you.  I'm sure I'll have some more questions as time progresses and I get through the recruiting part and into training so I'll be sure to ask then.  For now I'll just wait and see how this all progresses....hopefully in my favour with all parts of the process. 

Does anyone out there know how training is being conducted at Cornwall now?  It looks to me that they have changed the whole way they do business there.  

Before, one would complete a core DL (distributive/distance learning)  package, then go on core AEC training, then branch off into either Weapons, IFR, or VFR (after you input a preference).  I had a look at a schedule and it seems that they have streamlined the whole process.  

Now it seems, candidates are assigned an AEC specialty before they start their training.  The DL packages are specific to either Weapons, IFR, or VFR and there is no longer a "core" AEC basic.  After the DL package is finished students proceed directly to training for one of the three disciplines of AEC.  

Does anyone out there know how they are assigning people to the different specialties now?  Are candidates able to input a preference before they start their training?

I'm in a mushroom factory right now working for the Navy wearing a spiffy new blue uniform and waiting to go on courses.  If anyone out there has some insight into AEC training it would be greatly appreciated.  

I was going to ask this in the "AEC Training at Cornwall" thread but as it hasn't been active in quite some time I took the plunge and started a new topic.  (The site told me to start a new topic when I tried to post a response.)      

Thanks in advance.  
:cdn:

First, congrats on taking the plunge from Navy to the Aerospace world and welcome!  Another comm bites the dust.  :D

I had heard rumours about there being a change, mostly due to the training required for the Weapons side of the house.  I am back to work tomorrow for a couple of days and will ask/look around and see what I can find out for you, if someone else hasn't posted by then with an answer.

I'm AEC - weapons.  There have been a couple discussions on general AEC info, so you could do a search to find some more info.

Otherwise, feel free to PM me.

Thanks Judy.  I'm still waiting to get the call to do my testing and everything else so once it's official I will be doing that I'll probably have more questions at that point.  Good to know I'll have ppl such as yourself to chat with.  :)

Hey best of luck to you in the application! I applied as an aerospace control officer myself, but when I got to the medical I got turned down because I don't have V-3 vision. So after all the tests and interview and doing my homework about AEC, I am now applying in Intelligence, but my heart is still in the air force haha. I hope all your testing goes well.

Finally got a chance to corner someone about this.  They are going to get some more information for me, specifically the length of time required for the DL package itself. 

This is what I have so far:  you get a huge DL package.  This contains the old DL package as well as alot of what was taught on the old core phase.  While you are working on this, you will have a main location that you have been attach-posted to (North Bay or an airbase).  However, you will then spend some time in the opposite so as to get background for all sides of the trade.  Once you get to Cornwall, you will be told which way you are going.  You are able to put in your preference, but like with everything else, there is no guarantee for where you go.

What is the difference between IFR and VFR? I haven't been able to find anything on this here or on the recruitment website. TIA.

Instrument Flying Rules

Visual Flying Rules

Now who or what is TIA?

Thanks in advance.  (  ;D )

Thanks. Does this mean that AEC jobs are very different depending on which "rules" are used?

TIA = Thanks in advance  ;)

Celticgirl said:
What is the difference between IFR and VFR? I haven't been able to find anything on this here or on the recruitment website. TIA.

Maybe you should try google

CDN Aviator said:
Maybe you should try google

I already have, but thanks for the original suggestion.  ;)

Other than the different systems or "rules" for each area, I discovered (via the interactive feature on the recruitment site) that IFR controllers work out of a terminal control centre, whereas VFR controllers work out of a control tower. I'm repeating this for others who may be wondering the same things, but who are afraid to ask a question here.

As I have always told my students: there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't ask, how will you ever learn?

Search engines are great, but they are not interactive. They are not people. New recruits want to hear from people 'in the know'.

Celticgirl said:
Other than the different systems or "rules" for each area, I discovered (via the interactive feature on the recruitment site) that IRF controllers work out of a terminal control centre, whereas VRF controllers work out of a control tower. I'm repeating this for others who may be wondering the same things, but who are afraid to ask a question here.

And beyond that they have very different responsabilities when it comes to controlling air traffic. Its not a simple matter of what building they work in.

As I have always told my students: there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't ask, how will you ever learn?

We used to say that "theres no stupid questions, but there are alot of inquisitive idiots"......LOL

Thanks in advance for anyone who's reading my post. I truly appreciate this site as it has given me a lot of helpful advices. However, there is something that I have been thinking about for the past 2 weeks.

I am situated in Vancouver and I am finishing up my English degree at UBC. About a month ago, I put down 1) pilot 2) Air Nav 3) AEC as my preferences. I received a call from the CFRC 4 days later to tell me that pilot is very competive to get in and that it is closed. I was also told that Air Nav is difficult to get in as well and he asked me if I wanted to switch over to AEC instead. I wasn't sure what to choose so I said I would call him back if I wanted to change my preferences.

Knowing how difficult it is to get in as a pilot, I went to the CFRC to ask about ROTP at University of Western Ontario for pilots. Unfortunately, I was too late to submit an application for that as the board was going to sit on the next day. My original application remains untouched as too many applications for pilots have been received. I felt so bummed. I went ahead and asked about switching over to Air Nav, but then I found out that Air Nav will be closing. It's not known when the trade will be closed (as of that day), but I just don't feel highly comfortable going into a trade that will be closing in maybe a few years (?). On top of that, I was also informed that MANY people fail the Air Nav test. So, basically, pilot is extremely difficult to get into and Air Nav has a high drop out rate and it's also closing in a few years (?). That left me with my third option, which is AEC. I asked about that one too and I was also told that AEC's courses are difficult to get through as well, but it MIGHT be easier to get in. I really just don't know what to do, but knowing that I MIGHT have a better chance for AEC, I switched my preferences and had that down for first preferred trade. Honestly, at this moment, I would be happy to get pilot or AEC, but it just really seems to me that all 3 trades are difficult to get into. Sigh.

My grades at uni aren't great at all, but I must say that I really love Math. I got 100% in grade 12 Math and also won some Math contests in high school. I love the air force and I would love to have a job that has a lot of Math, writing, and perhaps something to do with languages as well. I took up to grade 12 French and then I had my own tutor who helped me out with French here and there. I was born in Hong Kong so I speak farily fluent Cantonese/Mandarin. I also did 4 years of Japanese and lived in Japan for 4 months. My Japanese skills aren't anywhere close to fluent, but I know enough to get by in Japan (plus some body language  :D).

On top of not being good at school at all, I also have a poor academic record. Basically, my grandma and my best friend died within 2 months and I also had some health issues (never found out the cause or the cure for it - it just went away). I TRIED to talk to my counsellor about my situation, but I ended up crying almost thorough my whole appointment with her. So, we decided that I should drop all of my classes and take some time off. It really sucked because mine were all full year courses, so all my effort from the 4 previous months were wasted, but I guess I needed the time. Now I have some W's on my transcript and a failed grade because somehow one of my courses was not dropped succesfully. Sigh.

As for work experience, I work close to full time with children with autism while still going to school full time. It is a VERY rewarding job, but only when the family has enough resources to run and maintain the home program. Because autism is still not fully funded, it's very hard for the family to keep hiring professionals (at least $100 per hour plus a long waiting list) who can provide therapists (someone like me) enough training and directions. Without enough instructions, therapists risk themselves being punched/kicked in the face every 5 minutes or so as these are common negative behaviours that these children have. Having said that though, I have been co-leading a therapy team for 2 years. My duties include hiring and training new staff, keeping the family and school updated about behaviours and academics, and probing new things to teach. Experience wise, I am not quite sure if this is good enough to apply for an Officer position and this has been part of my concern for my application as well.

I should also mention my vision. I went in to the eye clinic at the hospital the other day and I was told that my eyesight is 20/20 only when combined. My left is 20/30 and right is 20/20. I had a surgery on one of my eyes when I was 3 years old. I don't know which eye and what kind of surgery though. (I am an orphan and I can't find any record)

My main concern about my application is that I have been told that all 3 trades are difficult to get in and that even if I do get in, the courses are going to be difficult to get through. I thought about changing trades to something else, but then I also think that all trades have their difficult parts. I looked into musician because I play the piano and violin, but I don't have any Music degrees or diplomas that most applicants have. I really do feel discouraged about my application.  :-\ Any thoughts about what I should do would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot everyone.

Wow, a few things you said sound very familiar.  I too am working with children with autism as well as other kids and teens with a wide range of mental health issues at the Children's Hospital here in Ottawa.  I'm only casual so I only get shifts if someone calls in sick or they need extra staff.  I know how challenging it can be to work with autistic kids as I worked for two years full time with a couple autistic children in an elementary school. 

As far as your application, it can be very easy to become discouraged about the whole situation esp. when the top two trades you wanted to do aren't accessible.  I applied back in the fall for AEC Officer and have still not received a call at all.  I would say to you to go over whether or not you really want to do AEC as a trade and if you do then go for it.  If not, look through the trades again and see if there is something else besides the three you chose that better suits your want for working with something math related.  Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Hi there. :)  First off, let me just say that no one can tell you what you should do. Only you can do that. However, I just thought I'd add a reply here as a fellow AEC applicant. I can tell you that your eyesight sounds like V1 or V2 and you only need a V3 to pass the visual standards for aircrew (I'm a V2, but my eyes aren't as good as yours!).

When I was 18 (I'm twice that now), my dream was to be a pilot in the Air Force. It seems a lot of us have that dream. At the time, I knew I couldn't meet the visual standards and I also had family members talking me out of a military career. When I decided to give the military another go (after years of teaching English as a Second Language), I first thought I would go with the reserves. Truth be told, that decision was more to appease family and friends than myself. I knew that in the reserves, I would have more control over postings and deployments, and they were worried about me and my safety. Ultimately, though, I recognized that I don't have a problem going where the DND wants me to go, even if it means doing overseas deployments. So I changed to reg force, and I am very happy with that decision (other folks, not so much). I was also originally thinking of applying for NCM occupations like RMS clerk or comms researcher, but the recruiters I met with encouraged me to go for an officer trade. One recruiter in particular pointed me to AEC. After watching the DVD he gave me and doing more research on my own, I was sold. AEC seems like a very exciting, challenging career - just what I am looking for! So to make a long story short (too late, huh?  ;D), you will eventually figure out what trade is the one for you and there is no time limit. Give yourself as much time as you need to investigate all your options.

The new fiscal year is starting April 1st, so most (all?) of the trades should be opening up, as they say. The Captain at my CFRC who interviewed me said that there are 60 DEO positions for AEC per year. My application is held up a little bit at the moment because of the security clearance I need due to having lived in Taiwan within the past decade. I also just had my bloodwork and ECG done this week, as it took a long time just to get an appointment with my family doctor. Ergo, I have a snowball's chance in (you-know-where) of getting one of the remaining positions for THIS fiscal year as it is less than 2 weeks from closing. The good news is that this means there are 60 "new" positions opening up to vie for. There is a BMOQ at the end of August, lest something change between now and then, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get into that one. Perhaps I will see you there. :)

Good luck with your decision!

Just some words of advice. Even though I have never been a recruiter and haven't been through the recruiting systems for over 10 years, I am a serving Air Navigator. First off, I wouldn't worry about the competitive thing just put down the choices you want and ask the recruiter what you can do to make your application more competitive. The worst thing they can say is no. Don't settle for anything just because a recruiter tells you are not competitive.  If you want to be a pilot, put it down as your first choice, if you want to be Nav or AEC put them down as well. I guarantee you at some point in the future they will hire people for all three of those trades. If you don't get in the first time try again.

If you are comfortable with Math all three of those trades will use math to some degree, however, it probably won't be anything more complicated than high school math. There are lots of serving Pilots, Navs, and AECs who either don't have degrees or have non-technical degrees. I have a Hisotry degree.

Also find out as much information about all three of those trades before making any final decisions. Having worked with AECs I know that can be rewarding and exiciting career field. As for the Nav trade disappearing in a few years. Well anything could happen but I am fairly confident the air force will employs Navs in one form or another for a while (20+ years). The CH148 Cyclone, the updated (AIMP) Aurora and the Aurora replacement (Canadian Multi-Mission Aircraft) will all employ Navigators or whatever they are called in the future.

Seems theres a lot of AEC's killing time on here

As for your choices, as it was mentioned before, put your choices in for what you truly want and if they say its really competitive, ask how to make yourself more competitive. You've got to work for the things you want.

Back